Jerky video & audio from DV to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by guitarman3, Sep 28, 2004.

1. guitarman3

guitarman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to video editing and have a new Sony DV camcorder and used VideoStudio 8 to capture and burn video to a DVD-R. When playing back the DVD in a stand alone DVD player, the video is jerky and the audio drops in and out along with the 'jerkiness' (for lack of a better word). I captured video using firewire and have a 7200 250GB hard drive dedicated to video. PC has P4 at 2.5GHz. Any ideas as to why I'm not getting a satisfactory burn? I tried playback on 2 different DVD players with same results on both. Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There are lots of things that can go wrong along the way.

Make sure you are burning to good quality reliable media for a start.

Is the playback jerky when played back on your PC as well ?

If it's not jerky on a PC but jerky on a normal TV set the problem could be that during your encoding/authoring the wrong "field order" is set & this will produce jerky (especially during movement) picture when played back on a non progressive display.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check your capture settings, PAL for most of Europe, NTSC for states, Japan.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Agree with vonhosen, most likely a 'Field order' issue.

Sometimes this has to be changed depending on whether the sourceis DV or analogue.

I had problems recently when I didn't realise that I had to change the order for Digital8. I assumed it would be the same order for miniDV...not so!

5. guitarman3

guitarman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played the dvd on my pc and it also is jerky there.

I'm not familiar with 'field order'. What is it and how do I change it? Is it something I change in VideoStudio8?

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If it's jerky on a progressive PC display then I wouldn't think it is field order but something else.

(Field order relates to interlaced video. PAL video is 25fps & the frames are split into alternate lines. Every 1/50th of a second the odd lines are displayed, followed in the next 1/50th of second the even numbered lines & in the next 1/50th back to the odd. Field order relates to whether you start with an odd numbered set of lines or an even set. If the wrong value is set then you will get jerky video particualrly in high motion scenes. I'm afraid I don't use Ulead Video8 so can't help with settings within it.)

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In Ulead VideoStudio 8 when capturing DV via firewire you should set 'Field Order' to 'Lower Field First'

There is a tutorial you can view here :-
    http://www.jonesgroup.net/media/vstutorials.htm
    unfortunately it has two problems

1. it is for VideoStudio Version 7 but version 8 is very very similar in the capture and DVD burn areas.

2. it is american and therefore in NTSC - so you need to change NTSC to PAL, - 29.97 fps to 25 fps, - 720 x 480 frame size to 720 x 576 , and finally field order A in version 7 = lower field first in version 8

other than that it tells you what to do and the settings you should be using.

Also note that a tutorial on authoring a DVD can be found on that website - you should work through that when burning your DVD for best results.

Also found this article on field order that you might like to read :-
    http://www.creativecow.net/show.php?page=/articles/onneweer_barend/deinterlacing/index.html