Jerky RD65 pictures

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Razor, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    I have had an RD65 for a few weeks now, after viewing the set at Optoma offices in Watford and at the AV show in Hammersmith, I was very impressed with the finish of the case, the overall size and quality of the picture.

However I'm afraid to say that although the pictures via a PAL source are indeed good, the set is not NTSC compatible. The picture jerks slightly when feed a NTSC source (Region 1 DVD). I have tried the RD65 with 3 different DVD players, through all manor of different inputs and settings with no change.

So I then decided to contact Optoma about this problem which at the time they say they were not aware of. Their advertising at the time had NTSC compatible on the net and Boucher.

They have since changed their advertising to not NTSC compatible and have told me there this no way around this problem. Unless I can find a DVD player or external box which can convert NTSC to PAL and outputs a PAL feed the problem will remain.

As you can guess I am far from happy with this situation. I have become accustomed to the good quality pictures from the PAL source and would love to view my Region 1 (NTSC) collection with equal quality.

I am also confused as to how this problem can not be solved, as Optoma has a H77 DLP HD2+ projector which does not display this problem. Nor do other manufacturers as my father has an Infocus 7205 DLP HD2+, which displays NTSC signal with no problems. Does Optoma expect its customers who are mainly enthusiast’s only to have region 2 DVD’s in their collection.

I have had many phone calls to Optoma and sent a lengthy letter on the subject but still they are adamant that the RD65 can not display NTSC pictures via tweeking of the software or an external device. I now feel Optoma have a white elephant on their hands if this problem is not resolved.

Are there any RD65 owners who have overcome this problem? Or does any one know of a device or DVD player which will convert a NTSC signal to PAL?

Your help would be much appreciated.

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    As I have mentioned elsewhere, I consider it unforgivable that in 2004 any TV manufacturer makes a device that won't display 525/60.

Also FWIW, those DVD players that fully convert 525/60 (NTSC) discs to a PAL 625/50 output tend to do so fairly poorly anyway - jerkiness is pronounced. So this isn't really a solution. Full standards conversion to professional standards is very costly.

At least, if the HCC article is to be believed, Optoma have been honest enough to acknowledge they have messed up, big time, and are prepared to do something about it.

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442

I have just tried the Pioneer 868, with all manor of inputs including HDMI and no luck. I contacted Pioneer and they talked me through the PAL switching mode, but still the problem was evident. The Pioneer engineer said that it will only output at PAL 60 and non of the products they sell will solve my problem. So I guess its back to square one.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    Indeed. The PAL output on Pioneers (and many other "good" makes) from NTSC discs is PAL60 - it isn't fully converted. That means that the structure of the NTSC picture - 525 lines, 60hz, remains intact. Only the colour carrier method is changed. And it is the 525/60 structure that your TV can't handle properly. And it is changing this structure (to 625/50 as used by true PAL) which either introduces jerkiness of its own, or costs large sums to do.

Maybe you should take Optoma up on their offer..........if enough people do so, it may focus their minds on addressing their huge mistake properly.

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    I am in discussions with Optoma as we speak, I have written yet another letter on the subject and emailed them yesterday. I contacted them today and they have recived it, but were unwilling to discuss my issues today. I was told I would recieve a reply either tomorrow or after xmas. I will keep you posted.

It feel I will have to end up purchasing a video processor like a Lugamen at a cost of £1200 if I want the problem resolved.

Thank you for your feed back it is most appreciated.

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    I have just recieved a letter from John Archer who is a respected writer for Home Cinema Choice and What Video magazines. He was replying to 'my thank you letter' (article link at top of page) for his support on the Optoma RD50 and RD65 which I sent today, this is what he said:

Hopefully Optoma will sort it out for their next range, but the MD of Optoma strongly intimated that there wouldn't be a fix for the currently models.

Sorry to be the bearer of such frustrating news.

Have a good Christmas anyway.

All the best,

John Archer

8. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    Has anyone tried a Themescene RD65/RD50 with a video processor such as a Lugamen or a DVDO? Does it eliminate the juddering motion on 60Hz feed?

9. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly I've just seen an RD50 for sale on an americian website, I would expect it to be a different version to the one in the uk, so maybe it play NTSC but judders on Pal :suicide: , if that is not the case an it doesn't suffer the same problems as the uk version i would be interested to know what they did differently??

10. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    From what I have been told the american RD range cant do PAL at all. The US dont view PAL as a required standard, this was one of the points I raised with Optoma when my problems first occured. It does however play NTSC perfectly. :(

11. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I believe the american rd50 is close to our sagem, its the rd50a that is close to our rd50

12. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a bit of a bitch then , because it's on a website for $1899. Thought maybe if it handledboth pal and ntsc you could have asked Optoma to ship you one over as a replacement. :( oh well just a thought I guess

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    The idea had crossed my mind as well Mark... :(

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing the americans would be much less concerned over their sets being compatable with Pal than we are over NTSC i can't see any reason why they'd want to buy R2 DVD's it's allways R1 with the DTS soundtracks ect.

15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    Thats it basically in a nut shell. Evan though a PAL disc has more lines than a NTSC.

16. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor maybe you could ask Optoma for two sets :) a pal one and a NTSC one for when you want to watch some region 1 DVD's :) afterall as an early adopter you bought the set thinking it was NTSC compatible, so they should give you two sets...... Just don't fancy the cost of the extension to house your two 65" Sets :p

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor would just use a PC to drive the two sets and play half life 2 on a 130" :D

18. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, sounds like a plan

19. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: