Jerky RD 50

B

big ric

Hi
I'm hoping someone out there can help me last night i played casper region 1 going through scart RGB everything was going great until i noticed when there was a pan shoot either left to right or up and down that the RD50 became quite jerky and was very of putting i tried switching to svideo but the picture became very muddled and i could'nt make out what was happening
on screen after a lot of head scracthing i figured out that svideo connection did'nt accept NTSC (it might of helped if i had a proper manual) do you think it could be any thing to do with 50/60 hertz and would a dvi connection get rid of it as anybody else had this happen to them on a dlp tv is it a trait of dlp tv's thanx in advance for any help :confused:
big Ric

I think it might be THE 3:2 pulldown issue, or ntsc to pal conversion(usually noticed on pan shots).Check to see if your dvd player is outputing pal or ntsc it should be set to auto as your tv can handle ntsc signals.Dont use svideo use a rgb scart and make sure the scart is plugged into a socket that excepts rgb and dvd player is set to output rgb to_Or if your player has component outputs use them.

Big (Bad?) Ric, what is the judder like with R2 dvds?

i do not have this problem with mine if that helps you at all and i never had it with the thomson (only problem i had with thomson was the dvi feed being faulty and that on SD shows it had problem with the contrast on dark scenes)in america there has been issues with the Faroudja chip (on forums) maybe that is the problem if not find out if anyone else has similiar problems and get it exchanged.........other wise how are you liking this telly???

Hi
besides the judder i think the set is great i have just got garfield region 2 so i am going to see how that go's as i have'nt watched a region 2 yet report back later
Big Ric

yes sorry i have sent private messages to big ric in the past and thought i had done it this time was just trying to tell him its not a problem with DLP tellies sorry if it didnt come across right

no worries welsh, I secretly like the Tosh over the RD50, but I want those extra 4 inches...

then again there is the Panasonc 50PHD7 plasma..... Ahhhh I just can't make up my mind. :)

Even now after making up my mind i find myself wondering about them all wish i could have both :) but still think i made the right choice for me and my room..............Just wish that ITV looked better then it does but oh well cant have everything

Hi
last night played some region 2 discs no problem with any jerks also checked settings on back of dvd player and it was set to NTSC so changed to auto and the tellie now accepts svideo region 1 i even tried with the switch switched to pal using RGB and it was still jerky with region 1 could this be anything to do with the fact that i'm using a5yr old pioneer 525 dvd player when i talked to optoma they thought if i changed to a dvd player with dvi that would cure the problem as any body got ant ideas how to cure this problem :confused:
Big Ric

do you know anyone who lives near by who can lend you there dvd player to see if it is the player?? But i also dont think that it should be doing this thru any input so believe that it may be a fault (thomson finally admited to the 50dly645 being fualty with me remember) but that is jumping to conclusions i guess but just to cover yourself intill you can find out what the problem is make sure they have you down on a file lodging a complaint cuz remember you have 28 days to insist on a replacement but try to get it all sorted in the first 7 days if possible...........fingers crossed its something simple though

It does sound as though 2:3 pulldown has not been implemented with this set.

HDMI might fix it, A scaler certainly would though (I think)

I've finally made my mind up (I think) after seeing an axium in JL Watford today with Monsters Inc, I'm plumping for an Optima ....maybe.... perhaps

Hi Ric,

Have you managed to resolve this pull down issue?

I'm very close to getting the plastic out for one of these sets and although I don't have much NTSC software I have the worrie that if NTSC playback is flawed then what else may be compromised.

Other that the R1 NTSC issue how are you finding this set?

Hi
i think i have at last found out whether my problem was caused by the optoma or dvd player i have tried multi region ps2 connected to the optoma via rgb the same problem was there tried the ps2 and pioneer player on 2 other teles i have no jerks so the problem must be with the optoma rang up optoma tonight to see what they are going to do about it when they got back to me they said they have not come across this problem before so would be checking 1 of there own RD50 tomorrow to see if it would happen on there set also they would speak to the product manger i will have to wait until tomorrow to let you know was happening if anybody else as got an RD50 could they check there RD50 tonight to see if it is jerky when playing region 1 it happens when the film either pans side to side or up and down if i get some feedback i could tell optoma
Thanx
Big Ric

Hi Ric - just replied to your other thread but seen your DVD model number here. The 525 converts NTSC (common to R1 discs) to PAL 60, this is where the judder is introduced. I am also pretty sure the PS2 does the same with R1 and games that don't have a proper 60Hz setting. A DVD player which outputs a correct 60Hz NTSC signal from an NTSC disc should solve your problem. You can safely assume the set is fine if R2 (PAL) discs are working with no judder.

Liam @ Prog AV said:
Hi Ric - just replied to your other thread but seen your DVD model number here. The 525 converts NTSC (common to R1 discs) to PAL 60, this is where the judder is introduced. I am also pretty sure the PS2 does the same with R1 and games that don't have a proper 60Hz setting. A DVD player which outputs a correct 60Hz NTSC signal from an NTSC disc should solve your problem. You can safely assume the set is fine if R2 (PAL) discs are working with no judder.

according to the manual it outputs ntsc as ntsc when the switch is set to auto and mod pal when set to pal
big ric

Hi Ric,

I have to agree, my RD50 looks a tad jerky with R1 material. Certainly some of the fast moving parts of Alias looked jerky in the pans (but then that was TV, so is video material rather than film...) I did speak to someone at optoma about this issue (and some others) They basically said that the TV is optimised for PAL. It is capable of doing 3:2 pull down, but PAL is what it's designed and setup. The american version is due to have a 7 colour wheel, the UK version is 6 because it worked better/looked better with PAL material. Certainly watching something like Monsters Inc R2, it's stunning.

Oh the dvd player I've got is the limit dvd900SE, using a cheapish RGB scart connection.

My main reason for talking to optoma was when trying to calibrate the TV via Avia, the moving white strips on the contrast calibration aren't visible. Their implied that the TV is designed, and optimised for PAL, Avia being NTSC will not get the best calibration, they suggested using THX optimiser from something PAL, and using DVE PAL to really fine tune it.

Some other interesting facts:
the manual is available here:
http://www.themescene.tv/Contents/Support_Page.htm
The real manual is due from the printers in the next few weeks, and will get delivered then.
The scarts don't do widescreen switching
There's not a hdmi adaptor in the box (or even mentioned in the manual) they're mailing me one, although the technical guy suggested if buying a new player, to buy a HDMI-DVI cable, as it saves on extra connections, and stuff plugged into the back.
The remote can be slow to respond, they spent the money and development effort getting a stunning picture, and underspec'd the processor for the OSD stuff, basically be patient with it, you'll probably not need to use it that often anyway.
The first batch of tvs only contained 30 sets. I reckon I was in the first 5-10 in the country to get one, based on the installers comments (mine arrived last wednesday morning)

Overall optoma believe that the default settings will give most people a very good experience, their technical staff do seem to know how their kit works, and talk about it :)

I will say that trying to setup the 5 terrestrial channels, so they appear in the right order is painful. I did manage to do it, if anyone needs a hand PM me, and I'll send you details.

Oh those who don't have one yet, you might want to make sure your stand isn't too high, my TV stand's top was at 70cmish, when the RD50 arrived, and put the centre well above eyelevel. Having now adjusted the stand to 50cm high, it's a much more comfortable watching height.

Now I just need to decide on which DVI/HDMI capable DVD player to get, as I certainly got the impression, talking to the guy at optoma, that a decent digital dvd player will really drive the set to it's full potential.

Chris

Chris,

Did having your TV stand at 70cm affect the picture quality viewing it from below centre, or do U mean it was just too high for U to watch it comfortably? I will be putting mine on top of a 1M stand, so the viewing angle is crucial. Optoma told me the angle is fine from below like I plan on having it, but I haven't got any feedback from owners yet to verify it.

Hi Mattross,

It was watchable on a 70cm stand, but it was just not comfortable, as it ended up with the bottom of the screen maybe 90-100 cm off the ground, which meant the centre of the screen wasn't eyelevel, which I was used to with the old tv.

Certainly the viewing angle from below is better than from above, but I did notive variations in the light level on a blank screen, the bottom appearing lighter than the top, but then I'd not really calibrated it till I sorted out the viewing height.

Given a 1m high stand, the bottom of the viewing area is about 25cm above that, which for people on a sofa would be quite high to watch.

But then I did sit on the floor last night, and played ratchet and clank 3 on the PS2, and that was fine, bottom of the screen was my eye level (must buy longer PS2 controller cables :)

Chris

Having it high adds to that 'sore neck at the front row of the cinema' authenticity effect, but more importantly it gives me 4 shelves below it to bung all the Hi-Fi/AV gear!

do u get judder when playing hdef film ntsc through pc to dvi on rd50

Yes as,this is where I first noticed the problem,it does it with ALL NTSC material even the xbox :eek:
Mines going back I waited long enough to recieve I'm sure I can wait longer for something else to take my fancy :)

Sean

pity i was looking forward to this tv :mad:

how bad is the judder slight or ....

i watched "As good as it gets" R1 this afternoon and could tell immediately that with some of the camera panning (especially up and down) the R2 smoothness had gone....however i persevered and my eyes must have adjusted or something...because i enjoyed the rest of the film without noticing...

If you have a large R1 collection maybe this isn't the set for you but i've spent a couple months demoing plasmas and projection sets and this thing poops on the lot...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom