1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerky picture on Sharp 32" GD1...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ben_gb, Mar 2, 2005.

1. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was looking at some screens in a shop today in Paris (BHV if you know it) and they were all showing, as far as I could tell, a shared feed of a football game on a satellite sports channel - not Sky. I was very surprised to see the picture on the Sharp GD1 was really jerky whenever the camera panned, or even when people were running around on the pitch.

Is this normal for this set, or could it just be something to do with it being a French set?

All the other LCDs on display were very smooth in comparison. Unfortunately there wasn't a remote control handy, so I couldn't check the settings.

Oddly a Samsung 32" LCD appeared to have the best picture of all the ones on display!

Ben

2. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Sharp GA4 and my picture is perfectly smooth on panning shots. It could be some dork in the shop had it set to 'Film' deinterlacing mode. This is a special mode for deinterlacing which improves movie material - however if you use it on regular video you get lots of nasty combing artefacts on moving objects. Turn it off and it's perfect.

I've seen lots of shops running film-mode on regular video - most of 'em don't have a clue.

I'm very happy with my Sharp. Picture quality and features are excellent. I highly recommend them to anyone thinking of buying an LCD. :thumbsup:

3. tasaf

tasaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO, the Sharp panel produces great colors. It has best contrast and it is fast. The problem is with its video performance. Since a regular input nowadays is PAL/NTSC interlace most of the companies do not handle it OK. Sharp is one of them. When you deal with interlace video there are 3 areas (or more). Color mapping, Deinterlacing, Scaling. DCDi handles the last 2 very good. Today I saw the 32PF9976 with its great colors but still bad video deinterlacing performance. If the Samsung turn out to be the best - there had to be something wrong.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds like the 'Film Mode' option has been turned on. This is for 3:2 pulldown for converting between 24fps and 30fps films (Read up on the whole 3:2 pulldown, I don't fully understand the reason why).

The way it works is like this....

1st frame shown twice.
    2nd frame shown 3 times.
    3rd frame shown twice.
    4th frame shown 3 times.
    etc.

For a normal 24fps PAL transmission, it is adding an extra frame every other frame meaning the picture will look jerky.

I realised this whilst playing with my settings and left ot on by accident. The next night I realised something wasn't right and found it was this.

HTH,

Richie.