Jerky picture. Is it just me?

PeteIvy

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anybody else experiencing quite a bit of jerkyness. I'm currently getting it on all channels. HD or not, it appears to make no difference. Both live tv and recordings are effected. Making me really angry and will quite likely be watching the England game on freeview and I'm not sure what is going to annoy me more. Watching via sky with jerkiness or watching in SD on ITV :mad::thumbsdow

Is anybody else experiencing quite a bit of jerkyness. I'm currently getting it on all channels. HD or not, it appears to make no difference. Both live tv and recordings are effected. Making me really angry and will quite likely be watching the England game on freeview and I'm not sure what is going to annoy me more. Watching via sky with jerkiness or watching in SD on ITV :mad::thumbsdow

It could be the settings on your tv mate. Which tv have you got?

Got a new LG PK590 50" last week. It handles everything else ok, (Blu Ray, Xbox and freeview etc) I'll try the LG forum too then. :smashin:

By any chance is the jerkiness just across the top of the picture?

Try looking at the middle and ignoring the top. If everything else is stable I would bet your seeing an edge effect that is normally expected to be overscanned, I turn overscan off on my Sony and while it varies greatly from channel to channel and program to program (some are fine others aren't, HD is usually fine it's generally an SD only issue).

So you could try modifying your ovescan settings (assuming your LG has them) but if that's not it may be some other feature or picture setting issue.

Has it just started recently (i.e. did it used to be OK) ?

If so a simple reboot of the box should fix it.

If you want to avoid crawling about on the floor, you can do it with the remote :

Services
Select

... then choose option 7 - Planner Rebuild.

It should say "Housekeeping" for a few seconds and then reboot.

If the message stays on for more than 30 seconds then it has probably got stuck and you will have to switch off and at the mains, wait 30 seconds and then switch on again.

Avoid "Full System Reset" (option 8, I think) as this will wipe all of your recording ... you really don't want to do that !

Regards

I've done a planner rebuild, switched it off at mains and done a forced software update and still no change.

I don't think its down to the tv but will check that in the morning.

I might just have to cancel HD and rejoin when we move next month in the wifes name and then I'll get a nice new box.

Often I have found that simply unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable between the Sky HD box and my TV has cured a jerky (as in picture momentarily freezing and appearing to miss a frame) picture. I am not sure what technical issue this has to do with - I seem to recall HDMI handshake being discussed over in Plasma forum (my TV is a Panasonic PZ85 plasma).

Regards

Does your TV have a "movie" mode for deinterlacing? If so, try turning it off.

I have noticed some jerkyness mainly when the camera is planning slowly up and down and side to side, is this what you are refering to? I have an amstrad hd box.

I have tried everything and it's still the same and really doing my head in now.
Yes the box is an amstrad and it does mainly appear to be on when the camera is slowly panning. Mind you it can be seen quite clearly in peoples movements too alot of the time. It does it on two tv's now. A plasma and an lcd.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom