Jerky panning on videos

shrollski

Standard Member
Guys,

Apologies if this isn't the right place.. but..

I am getting jerky playback on all movies through my mediacenter box. The attached is a sort of photoshop attempt at what I mean, without any movement.. When a scene pans it occasionally appears to refresh the top part of the screen first (like a frame ahead) then the bottom part.

I'm sure there's a really succinct word for this to those in the know!

The 'test your TV settings' video in mediacenter (the ball rolling over the snooker table) also shows this.. so I'm not sure its down to my ropey XVID movies.

I'm using:

Vista 32bit
FFDShow (resize, 3d blur, frame doubler)

This stuff is connected to an LCD 37" via HDMI at 720p

Spec:

2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, AMD 780G, S
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ , Brisbane C

Any info or assistance greatly received.

Cheers

Attachments

• bugga.jpg
    bugga.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 94
N

nburg01

Have you tried turning off any ffdshow post processing and checked if it's still jerky?

shrollski

Standard Member
Gave it a quick go when the television was liberated from hollyoaks/eastenders, but the same symptoms exist.. Also Vista got annoyed about something, bluescreened and rebooted. I will have another look tomorrow when I can think more analytically than just "I've tried shaking my fist at it.. now I'm out of ideas"

N

nburg01

Could be a decoder problem, download the K-lite codec pack, I highly recommend this for all media playback (apart from h264, for this I recommend CoreAVC). One of the strengths of K-Lite is that it's always kept up to date, so at least you know you're always using the latest versions of everything.

Also, there could be a frame rate synch problem, try and ensure that your TV's refresh rate is an exact multiple of the source media's frame rate ie. for a 25fps Divx movie, set the TV to 75Hz if you can. Another utility worth installing to help with this problem is ReClock, this synchronises the media's frame rate with your graphic card's video refresh rate and is a very effective way of eliminating jerkiness.

shrollski

Standard Member
Thanks... I just flipped over to 50hz and this *seems* to have fixed it.. though I'll look at reclock as well to make sure its spot on!

Quality is lots better since sending to the panel at 720p as well.. and turning off the post processing means it runs a bit cooler too. :)

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom