• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

jerky blu ray playback on ps3

toddmarshall

Standard Member
how do i force the ps3 to do 24 frames, cos I have put it on by going to the bd/dvd settings but when i clik info on the tv ( samsung le40m87) it still says 60hz?

stuart1976

Prominent Member
how do i force the ps3 to do 24 frames, cos I have put it on by going to the bd/dvd settings but when i clik info on the tv ( samsung le40m87) it still says 60hz?

Most likely happening because the TV cannot output in 1080p/24. It may accept a 1080p/24 signal but will then revert to showing it in 1080p/60.

FunkyMonkey

Established Member
Depednsd on how old your TV is. The very first models (with teh older firmware) were not able to do 24fps. I think the odler ones (after abotu March) were able to do so.

zapata

Established Member
Personally I don't see the point of 24fps anyway, the film is longer for a start. Can anyone explain what the advantage is apart from it being "how it is in the cinema".

reckless

Established Member
Personally I don't see the point of 24fps anyway, the film is longer for a start. Can anyone explain what the advantage is apart from it being "how it is in the cinema".

It gets rid of "judder" and means you can have smooth pans. I suggest you have a search on some of the other forums here for a better explanation but it is a desirable feature.

It's not just making the film longer :rotfl:

DannyDog1306

Established Member
For xmas santa brought me the departed, planet earth and goodfellas on blu-ray.

I have noticed whilst watching these that the playback in quite jerky, for instance if the camera is panning over some mountains on PE, there is like a judder on the screen. Its not a massive problem but just wondered if my settings are wrong.

I have got a tosh 32WLT68, what should my ideal settings be?

Many thanks

Timdog

Established Member
For xmas santa brought me the departed, planet earth and goodfellas on blu-ray.

I have noticed whilst watching these that the playback in quite jerky, for instance if the camera is panning over some mountains on PE, there is like a judder on the screen. Its not a massive problem but just wondered if my settings are wrong.

I have got a tosh 32WLT68, what should my ideal settings be?

Many thanks

You'll need to get a new TV with 24 fps support to enable smooth playback. I and many others have the same problem.

Probably not the news you wanted! :thumbsdow

DannyDog1306

Established Member
Gutted!!! Although i was thinking about going bigger and getting a fullHD TV so you might of just made my mind up now.

Thanks for the reply

honkydonky

Established Member
I think you can turn off the 24fps in the BD/DVD settings menu on the PS3, gives you the option of on off or auto, try with it off and see if it helps on the scenes causing you grief

Gutted!!! Although i was thinking about going bigger and getting a fullHD TV so you might of just made my mind up now.

Thanks for the reply

Full HD does not always have the 24fps option. You have to be careful what you buy. This judder that you see has always been there on DVD for the US, and 24fps was created to eliminate it. Look for a TV that supports it.

I think you can turn off the 24fps in the BD/DVD settings menu on the PS3, gives you the option of on off or auto, try with it off and see if it helps on the scenes causing you grief
It will make no difference.

DannyDog1306

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, I think I have found the right TV if I do go ahead and blow £800 on a new one, its the toshiba 37Z3030.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 92943

I'm interested in this too. The screen does have 1080p/24fps.

Is there any chnace that it's the PS3 why it isn't showing for him becuase i heard 1080p/24fps was patched in the last FW update?

Tony Hoyle

Prominent Member
The PS3 will automatically detect 24fps, or it has the option to force it on (if your TV is telling the PS3 that it can't support it).

However if when you force it on and do the screen test it doesn't work then your TV does not support 24fps and there is nothing you can do.

menz83

Prominent Member
You may notice that the judder issues are more apparent in some scenes over other in Planet Earth. Im pretty certain that the judder is in the source, although I may be wrong. The slow panning shot where the camera follows a river and then twists round to view that big ass waterfall is the worst for judder I feel. However, on the slow panning shot down the giant glacier, judder is hardly apparent at all, probably what I was consider normal via pulldown methods.

Im trying to remember these off the top of my head, haven't watched Planet Earth for a while now!

johnmerrick

Established Member
Should i have this set to Automatic or On?

My TV (pio 4280) accepts the signal and plays it superbly even on Auto.

It says it is for blu rays that are recorded in 24fps format. I take it some are not so Auto must be the right setting if that is the case??

have i just answered my question??

thanks

aidey6

Established Member
You can leave it in either Auto or On, as your tv plays 24fps no problem without any juddering, there are some tv's which play it (but have a bit of judder at times ie my tv) or some which cannot do 24fps at all

Tony Hoyle

Prominent Member
You should never get judder at 24fps.. that's the point of it - unless the TV is resampling it back to 60fps internally, which would be a bit odd (although not entirely impossible).

The On setting is for TVs that support 24fps but don't advertise this fact over the EDID settings. If your TV is performing correctly then Auto and On are identical (but Auto is safer if you ever connect a TV that doesn't support 24fps in the future, otherwise you might be confused at the blank screen).

steve081272

Established Member
Not sure if im in the right thread or not, but here goes anyway.

Awaiting arrival of Sony 40W3000 panel but would like to know what the optimum settings are for using the PS3 as a BD player. By this I mean what internal PS3 settings are people using along with their panel settings?

Any help or links to appropriate threads/sites would be greatly appreciated.

johnmerrick

Established Member
Not sure if im in the right thread or not, but here goes anyway.

Awaiting arrival of Sony 40W3000 panel but would like to know what the optimum settings are for using the PS3 as a BD player. By this I mean what internal PS3 settings are people using along with their panel settings?

Any help or links to appropriate threads/sites would be greatly appreciated.

when you plug the ps3 in to your new tv it will detect the optimum settings and ask you to accept them. Then go into the settings > bd settings and go from there. i would also set the dvd upscaling to 'normal'. it's great. :smashin:

Jamee

Standard Member
why do you have 'normal' on upscaling??, i have mine at full screen, whats the difference?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom