Quantcast

Jeff's new Home Cinema build

Jeffers01

Hi guys 'n' gals

I know how much I have enjoyed seeing the progress of new cinema builds so I thought I'd post mine... especially as I've had so much help from the threads here :smashin: Here's a few pics of my current set-up. Pretty standard 32'' widescreen CRT, 5.1 surround sound set-up etc. After a few years of trying to work out how best to fit in a 'proper' system, I've finally decided to convert the lounge. As it's our lounge we'll have to make a few compromises but I'll discuss these as I go. So here we are at the start:

PICT1540-1.JPG PICT1542-1.JPG PICT1543-1.JPG

PICT1545-1.JPG
The double doors that lead to the dining room (used as a music room) will be removed and a stud wall built.
PICT1546-1.JPG PICT1547-1.JPG

PICT1548-1.JPG
The fireplace will have to go... a pretty big decision and one that made the final layout much clearer to us.

I've moved on a bit but I'll post those in the next night or two.

Jeff

Jeffers01

Sorry for the delay guys but here's the start of the build.

PICT1556-1.JPG PICT1557-1.JPG
Double doors have now been removed and stud wall built. Studs are positioned to take the plasma mount perfectly. Eagle eyes will just about be able to recognise my new speaker set-up.

PICT1562-1.JPG
Fire removed revealing the open flue. I'll insert some plasterboard ready for skimming.

PICT1563.JPG
Stud wall now plasterboarded up. Note the cable hanging down. This is run from the light fitment in the center of the ceiling (now removed) and will power some lights above the plasma which can then be switched on from the normal room switch.

PICT1565-1.JPG PICT1567-1.JPG
At the other end of the room the projector mount is now in place. This area has a pitched roof above it. To gain access I needed to take tiles off the roof and enter through the trusses (pics coming soon!). That was fine for fitting a wooden brace between joists to take the projector mount but what I reallly wanted to do was feed the cables down the outside cavity wall so they are fully hidden. Sadly after half day with a friends help and a number of implements to feed down the cavity I could not get past all the rubbish in the cavity and had to re-plan.

PICT1569-1.JPG
The light cable mentioned earlier.

PICT1571-1.JPG
The projection screen has to come down in front of the plasma so after meticulous measuring (I need to keep the screen to projector distance at a maximum) I have attached 2"x2" battons to ceiling joists which the screen will mount on. If all goes well the screen will pass by the plasma with about 2cm to spare!

PICT1572-1.JPG
The projection screen will be boxed in. This is the vertical section which runs across the full wall in MDF. It will be painted white to match the ceiling.

PICT1573-1.JPG
I have designed a wooden base plinth which will hide all the cable coming from the back of the room to the plasma and speakers and projection screen. It will also incorporate speakers for the plasma for routine listening and it will be lit. That's real wood this time not MDF as I'll varnish it to match in to the floor.

PICT1574-1.JPG
The projection screen has now been mounted (hidden behind the MDF). You can see the cable for the time being. Wallpaper has now gone from this wall.

paul1967

Novice Member
Noticed you have blocked the fireplace don't forget to put a breather vent or you will have a damp patch appear in the furture and put a rain cover on the top to stop birds falling down had to get 2 pigeons out of mine so far , the cooing can be distracting when watching a film.

Jeffers01

paul1967 said:
Noticed you have blocked the fireplace don't forget to put a breather vent or you will have a damp patch appear in the furture and put a rain cover on the top to stop birds falling down had to get 2 pigeons out of mine so far , the cooing can be distracting when watching a film.
Thanks Paul :lesson:

The fireplace is only a flue built into a standard cavity with a tiny slit vent where it emerges somewhere on the roof. Will this still cause a problem?

Jeffers01

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will be away on business this week but will post more pics at the weekend.

Jeffers01

Next update, people

PICT1578-1.JPG
The electric screen is now in place attached to battens which are screwed to the floor joists.

PICT1581-1.JPG

The wall is now fully plastered and the screen built in

PICT1575-1.JPG
The screen is remote controlled. I thought hard about where to put the remote sensor. I thought about hiding it inside the boxing with a small hole for the IR to pass through but in the end I decided to flush mount it so that the manual buttons were available if the remote packed up or got lost.

PICT1582-1.JPG
The remote receiver is mounted flush underneath the boxed in section. It'll match the white paintwork.... eventually. Coving is pre-cut ready for the section along the front of the box section.

PICT1583-1.JPG
This is the slot that the screen comes out of. The plan is that the screen only just passes through and then clears my Plasma by 2cm on the way down.... if my measurements have been perfect!

PICT1584-1.JPG
Fireplace is now plastered up. The floor needs new laminate. Luckily I have just enough to fill the gap left by the stone hearth.

PICT1586-1JPG.jpg
Fitted colour change LED's to the bottom plinth. These are quite cool. They flow through all the colours or can be fixed on any single colour. They can also be set to 'sound-to-light' for parties!!

PICT1589-1.JPG
My new plasma peeking through the floorboards - a Pioneer 436 XDE.

Got to get on with it!!

0B1-1

Keep those pics flowing mate ! looking good so far, and nice to see that you have chosen a Pioneer - the best !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeffers01

Thanks guys.......latest pics

PICT1590_small.jpgPICT1591_small.jpgPICT1592_small.jpg
A small selection of tools needed for this project. Note the CAT5 cable and Harmony 525 remote :smashin:

PICT1593_small.jpg
The fireplace has left this gap in the floor. As said earlier I have enough laminate to fill it.... just

PICT1594.JPG
The back wall is now painted and ready for the plasma

PICT1595_small.jpg
Inside the base plinth at this early stage

PICT1597_small_small.jpg
Pio 436 and a Denon 1920 waiting in the wings

PICT1600_small.jpg
A clue to my new projector :thumbsup:

Sorry these are a bit boring :boring: .....it will get more interesting this week!

Jeffers01

Starting to come together....

PICT1601_small_small2.jpg
Fireplace floor now filled in

PICT1606_small.jpg
LED's for the projection screen boxing are wired up to the central ceiling rose (original light removed) so that they can be turned on from the light switch.

PICT1609_small.jpg
Left hand switch is a remote dimmer and will operate the wall lights. Right hand switch is for the LED's and will be swapped for a steel version (obviously)

PICT1613_small.jpgPICT1614_small.jpgPICT1610_small.jpg
LED's mounted on the underside of the projection screen boxing.

PICT1608_small.jpgPICT1607_small.jpg
Media box connection cables, power and speaker cables fed into the stud wall hidden inside the bottom plinth and then up and out to be hidden by the plasma

PICT1615_small.jpg
Plasma mount up and solid

PICT1621_small.jpgPICT1622_small.jpg
Here we go... switch on.

nburcombe

How do you make a thread with images in it? Thumbnails etc? I'm struggling here - for sure.

Blue.Rocket

Novice Member
Jeffers01 said:
Starting to come together....

View attachment 28062
Fireplace floor now filled in

View attachment 28065
LED's for the projection screen boxing are wired up to the central ceiling rose (original light removed) so that they can be turned on from the light switch.

View attachment 28066
Left hand switch is a remote dimmer and will operate the wall lights. Right hand switch is for the LED's and will be swapped for a steel version (obviously)

View attachment 28067View attachment 28068View attachment 28076
LED's mounted on the underside of the projection screen boxing.

View attachment 28070View attachment 28069
Media box connection cables, power and speaker cables fed into the stud wall hidden inside the bottom plinth and then up and out to be hidden by the plasma

View attachment 28072
Plasma mount up and solid

View attachment 28073View attachment 28075
Here we go... switch on.
Hi Jeffers;
Nice, coming on very nicly, two questions, Where did you purchase the LED lights, are they wired into a transformer or straight into 240 electric. ?

Look froward to some more pixs.
Cheers..

Jeffers01

Thanks Blue.Rocket

I got the lights from ebay. They are available at the following link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-CHROME-LED-KITCHEN-PLINTH-LIGHTS-WITH-4-LEDS-EACH_W0QQitemZ4454774837QQcategoryZ57231QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

A real bargain at £36 delivered. I'm very happy with them. :thumbsup: They run on a transformer which I wired to a light switch via a ceiling rose.

More pics coming soon

Nburcombe, are you still struggling with adding images to posts? If so I'll tell you how I did it (not exactly intuitive although I probably do it the long/wrong way!!)

A

AutomanUK

Hi Jeffers

I am new to this forum but just felt I had to post after reading this thread. I know having undertaken a similar project a year ago just how much work is involved in gutting a room and starting from scratch but when its all done and you can sit back and look at what you have created its worth every minute. Your build looks fantastic and the blue LED's are a very nice touch.

I have a few questions though what are the dimensions of the room? What is your throw distance going to be? And whats your final screen size?

p.s. how long did it take to convince the wife.

inzaman

AutomanUK said:
p.s. how long did it take to convince the wife.
Thats the easy part :rolleyes: :D