1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by gargoyle, May 18, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Even though I label myself as a sci fi aficienado (thats geek to you!) I never took much notice of jeff waynes War of the Worlds as I was too engrossed in the best years of sci fi ever (star wars, trek, close encounters, superman, tron etc etc etc) so just starting to enter my fourties, I decided to give it a look see before the grim reaper starts stalking me - I got the cd last week and have to admit that I REALLY loved this!
    I'v played it several times already and am wondering if anyone can tell me if this retelling was ever filmed or screened as I'd love to see it given the stellar cast and some of the performances - like david essex singing 'we'll start all over again - brilliant!

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    if there was ever a title that needed SACD or DVD-A treatment this is it!

but the chances of that happening are a million to one he says

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Unfortunately it was never filmed. There were plans to do it but it never happened.

4. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I totally agree a CLASSIC album , I have listened to it for years. I think i can remember something about an animated film being made using the jeff wayne soundtrack but not sure if it was completed.

5. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    When a remix of the "eve of the war" was released several years back, (I believe just before the CD re-release), top of the pops screened a video they had put together featuring some of the artwork seen in the booklet, (and the lovely gatefold version that came with the vinyl LP), could this be what you are thinking of. I believe the remix was the PI R Squared, (Can't get the symbols here), remix that is on the new CD version.

Cheers

Edz

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I don't like the remix cd. Once it gets to the end of the LP version I eject the CD.

I still have the gatefold LP too.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Which do you prefer ? I havent listened to the album for years ranks alongside Rick Wakemans Six wives and Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
    I dont have the CD version.

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm pretty damned sure that I saw the Tripods illustrated on the front cover, in motion (as in film or perhaps animation) but I can't remember from where - can anyone shed some light on this or have I been dreaming?

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I haven't played the vinyl for years. The player isn't even wired up since we moved house (4 years go!)

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No, just cover artwork. Of course The War of The Worlds exists as a film.

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I shall have to work on you to change that :lesson: ;)

Im now a complete vinyl convert, having decided to splash a bit of cash on a Roksan with a decent arm and cart, I now find it difficult to return to CD. This is no, rose tinted aural illusion or a hankering for interesting bits of mechanical mechanisms from the good old days. No this is definitely a lot better than CD, its powerful, fast with incredible spaciousness and an astounding sound stage and dynamics and timing that leave a cd player light years behind. Yes, its really that good.

Its not cheap mind you and theres still the matter of dusting your albums and stylus, but its a giant leap in performance on the same lines as VHS vs DVD.

Im playing old albums that I thought were only fit for the bin, all the scratching and popping that I experienced with my previous equipment has almost gone. How it performs this miracle I really dont know, maybe signal to noise ratio is better ?. But you really should get to know your vinyl collection again before its too late !!

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    When they brought out the remix of Eve of the War they showed a very crude film sequens which consisted of a one of the tripod war machines towering above the city, walking, and shooting a beam which looked electrical. The rest was flashing stills and blackout out people running about.
    Seem to think it was out about the same time as Raiders of the Lost Arc as War of the Worlds was on on one of the other screens which I think they re-released to tie in with the record.

The film is taken in the period it was filmed which without looking up I would say 1953 in the USA. They also did a TV series which the first was a follow up to the film and not too bad. The second series was really dire.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    There is a thread on Movies and TV which I cannot find (just had a look) doing a search but I think there was take of the rights to War of the World (and Iron Man) being in the position of Tom Cruise. I also think if they do it, it will be back in Victorian times.

14. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for clearing that up Garrett - if memory serves, the shot I saw was of one of the albums tripods towering above the camera, as you say, chances are, it could have been a promo or ad for the album.
    I'm aware that yet another remake of the war of the worlds is on the books with senor speilberg mooted to direct - if this is the case I beg, nay, PLEAD that they make it as close to HG Wells victorian britain as possible rather than an updated 'reimagineering based in modern day america, its a great story - give it the credit it deserves.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I remember my mate bought the album but did not have a tape deck and came round one Saturday and asked if I would put it on a cassette so he could play it in the car.
    I did and that night I was out to a country pub and was listening to it. On the way back home listening to it again it came to the end (you know the bit come in Houston) on a very quite stretch of the road, miles from anywhere, and no light apart from my car headlights. I spotted a flashing light above me, well I didn’t half get a sinking feeling in my stomach, then I realise it was only a beacon on top off a transmitter. Phew. :blush:

I too got the album and if the CD version has the same book as the double album then most of the people used in the video were the people in the picture Panic in the Street and further to the above description there was a lot of animated fire covering the screen.

I got to listen to Jeff Waynes Sparticus (staring Catharine Zeta Jones) but in my opinion is not up to much.

16. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats 'UFO' incident has gotta be my laff of the day! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Just found this here the film is peciled in for 2006 the director as you say is Steven Spielberg and staring Tom Cruise set in 1898 and set in London. :clap:

Also this was the TV series guide here.

18. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    SWEET! :D

19. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oooohhhh laaaaaa :rolleyes: I was petrified off this album as a kid. Still am (seriously) Play it in the dark on your own and see :blush:

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +958
    glad I wasn't the only one. Whenever my dad or older brother put it on I'd leave the house, didn't matter what the weather was like, and sit out in the street. I remember one day it was seriously cold and windy so I spent the next hour or so just hugging a lamp post until the record finished. :blush:
    Can't believe I was so wimpy :laugh:
    Still play the vinyl myself (I inherited it when I developed what they call "taste" in music ;) ) at least half a dozen times a year :smashin:

21. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I still have the original boxed set I play now & then i.e. 12inch single & album Jim

22. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be different versions of the CD of this, does anyone have an opinion as to which is the best..........and why?
    Version 1 13/03/02
    Version 2 02/09/96highlights
    Version 3 10/04/00 Ulladulla remix
    Cheers
    John

23. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Afternoon

version 1 is good, the original vinyl or "theatrical" :D version.
    version 2 is ok if you just want the music
    version 3 think of as a remastered and then you have the options of listening to the remixes, some good, some bad but you can always hit stop after the nasa epilogue ;)

Cheers

Edz

24. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Further to the comments about the addtional video and graphics that have appeared, one source of these was the WOTW computer game (an adequate RTS from a couple of years back). The game had cut scenes that were beefed up a little to appear elsewhere. It also portrayed some additional martian machines that are in the cover artwork of the Ubdulla remix album. The other interesting feature was that the soundtracks were seperate on the game disc so that the Max Monroe edits of certain Jeff Wayne tracks would play in a CD player. Some of these also went to the Ubdulla remix (in a shortened set of edits) but some of them didn't and IMO they weren't bad.

The original album of WOTW remains a fave of mine and I would like to see it on DVD-A (in this case I think that the graphic potential of this format would be a definate advantage). Only the Hybrid edit of "Eve of the War" really did any justice as a remix to the first album and I think it would be a great idea for that to be used in the film.

25. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Edz, so would I be right in thinking that versions 1 & 3 have the Richard Burton talover?

cheers
    John

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    The first one will have the Richard Burton narrative which I think this is the full version here.

This is the remixed one which you can listen to part of some of the tracks here.

27. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Garrett

28. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    THE version I have has a Richard Burton narrative....Jim :thumbsup:

29. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I have just found this free download of a re-recording????? radio broadcast that rocked the USA here.

30. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    nice find Garrett - I'll have a listen to that at work next week