Jeff - How's life with the U3 1080?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JohnAd, Oct 23, 2001.

1. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

How are you and Kryton getting on. I've just moved into my new place and am itching to get a projector but as expected have been pretty much banned from a CRT.

I'm getting more and more confused by various things I'm reading so was just wondering how you're getting along.

I was wondering:
    1) Can you get pixel perfect timings with Kryton?
    2) Can you drive the projector at 72Hz and 75Hz for judder free playback?
    3) Can you see the rainbows under normal conditions and if you try really hard to see it.
    4) Did you see a demo first, if so where?
    5) Would you recommend it?

Thanks a lot

John

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi John,

I have only had it a couple of weeks and I've already clocked 120 hours!, I think its a great little projector. The first time you switch it on and project against a wall the clarity blows your mind. I now have an ISCO II anamorphic lens which basically turns it into a widescreen projector, your do get pincusioning which you would want to mask but the improvement is very considerable. As well as the increase in brightness and resolution it has other qualities that are hard to describe, it sort of makes it more CRT like. This projector is all about compromises, its noisy (rated about 40db), you need to use a PC or external scaler to make the most of it, rainbows, black levels are poor when displaying just black, the digital keystone correction is rubbish, no zoom, 60Hz only device, bulb only lasts 1000 hours, some motion artifacts. On the plus side it is very cheap, picture quality from HTPC is VERY good, good contrast levels, good blacks when mixed with brighter objects, can use anamorphic lens, its small and very light, you can table top or ceiling mount, you can use a hush box. To me this is the perfect 1st projector when used with a PC, I have learned so much since getting it and by acclimatising myself to the noise and rainbows I know my next projector will be much better. I also now know what is important to me and what isn't. If you fancy a trip to sunny Basingstoke on a Saturday or Sunday your are more than welcome, the room is a bit of a mess at the mo and I haven't got the screen yet but the quality you get with just a painted wall makes it even more impressive. In the next few weeks I should get it properly ceiling mounted and Gordon is getting me some stewartfilm samples so that I can pick the screen material. I'm also on Dan's list for the SDI card which I want to test with a professional analogue to digital converter. Exciting times ahead!.

The answers

1) Can you get pixel perfect timings with Kryton?

Easy, just set to [email protected] and it looks crystal clear. The minute you try digital keystone correction or another resolution the scaler kicks in and its very obvious and looks crap.

2) Can you drive the projector at 72Hz and 75Hz for judder free playback?

You can drive at 72 or 75 Hz but it doesn't really help, at anything other than 60Hz you get tearing on pans. I think most digital projectors do this.

3) Can you see the rainbows under normal conditions and if you try really hard to see it.

You normally see them in dark scenes with bright objects, it hits you in the face to start with but now I can watch most movies and it doesn't really bother me. You notice the rainbows less after a while (brain gets used to them?) Unlike what was 1st suggested it appears the majority of people see rainbows, In my family 5 out of 5 see them including my 4 year old son. On bright saturated video I don't see any rainbows.

4) Did you see a demo first, if so where?

No demo, I took a calculated gamble based on AVS reports on the LT150 which is a U3-1080 clone.

5) Would you recommend it?

Only if used with a PC and probably only with a 6ft screen of less. The picture quality through a PC is very good in my opinion. It's a great learning projector. It should be very easy to sell on and not loose a packet.

Jeff

3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm glad to hear you're happy!

You're right about it all being about compromise. I'm still not sure where I'm going go on the size, price, brightness, blacks and features spectrum.

I may well take you up on the offer of a peek at your latest setup some time soon. I'll be in touch.

It's a pity that the higher refresh rates cause tearing, I think this is a function of cheap front end electronics and not necessarily a feature of all digital projectors. Looks like I'm going to have to continue the search for a projector that can do higher rates comfortably.

Any news on the SDI hack for Sky+ or are you going to have to get your soldering iron out?

John

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Forgot something.

Have you tried running at either 50Hz or 47.952Hz

The projector might sync to these and you would get rid of the motion problems.

Just a thought, probably worth a play.

John

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I haven't tried 50 or 48 Hz yet, neither are standard so would require a custom timming. The SDI Sky plus looks a bit tricky at the moment but you can get a regular Sky Digibox with the SDI mod for £1500 :eek: . This is why the professional analogue to digital converter is looking the best bet at the moment. There isn't much wrong with my Falcon card but I'm always on the search for improvements. The main 2 issues for me are noise (even with the Falcon you still get some) and video delay (lip sync) I'm guessing that a lot off the delay is caused by slow A/D conversion rather than DScaler. The professional converters are rated in the low milliseconds.

Jeff

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wow I think I'll stick with s-video too!

On the lip sync that probably is caused by dscaler we delay the picture anywhere up to 1/24th of a second on film, not much we can do about it either. Once I get my box set up I'm going to play with a sound buffer on my audiophile card to see if I can solve it another way.

John

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Have either of you tried any internal mods to the capture card/pc to remove noise from the picture or is it generated more from the components themselves?

Re: the picture delay - haven't I heard that a few amps have a delay setting for all the 'speakers?

8. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Alex

I haven't really doena nything on the hardware side yet. My PCTV card is OK for the time being but I expect some action on this over the next few months.

Word about DScaler seems to be spreading pretty fast, we're getting 7000 downloads a week at the moment and I expect better cards around the corner.

In the eman time I'm building a proper HTPC with decent case/power etc and I expect that will boost the picture a bit.

John

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I have tried virtually everything that you could possibly think of. The PSU and the Falcon card made the most difference. I have a house full of failed experiments, includeing 2 PSUs, 2 TV cards, a hum supressor, ferrite rings (includeing ones for IDE cables) and a home made internal shield for the TV card. :)

Jeff

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    So none of these made an appreciable difference?
    I guess that saves me a lot of time but also means that I really should spend more and get the falcon card!

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Bump Bump Bump

Sorry to drag an old thread up guys but hows it all going and who now has one of these?

These are available for a screamingly cheap price of £1762.50 inc VAT. A geat toy (for christmas).

Anyone got a decent data sheet on this baby, the plus web site doesn't have the greatest amount of detail..

Thanks guys...
    :)

12. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry to butt in..
    Where have you seen them at that price Nick?

Best bet for a .pdf is to look for the NEC LT150...I'm pretty sure I've seen this up somewhere but can't remember where for the mo'

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

p.s. thought you were set up for CRT now!

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
  14. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

As Jeff hasn't replied yet I thought I'd whet your appetite. I bought an NEC LT150 (purely for business use of course!) and I can tell you the picture is fabulous. Compared to my Barco 808 the picture is sharper and brighter with slightly less depth to the colours which I compensate for on the pc. Negative points are the halo and rainbows. The halo is easy enough to correct, just have proper masking around the screen, in my case after several years of having a painted wall screen that was much to big I've splashed out and ordered a proper fixed frame 2.35:1 Da-Lite High Power Cinema Contour 80 x 34. The rainbows unfortunately are a bit of a pain, some DVD's are worse than others you get used to it but it gives me a headache. Overall a super little projector and just the job for my son to play his games console on (saves me worrying about him trying to connect it up to the Barco and burning the tubes, you know what kids are like, they do the exact opposite of what you tell them!). I'm going to keep an eye on the Sharp 9000E and if the current crop of problems on AVS get sorted I may well sell my Barco, just need to see how good the black level really is.