Jeez thats gone and blown it

DarenD

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ordered my first steelbook after saying for years that I wouldn't get into them as the slipcover craze is bad enough and now Ive ordered one :facepalm:

Going to have to hide the dam thing when it arrives my missus will hit the roof.

Last edited:
You've just started down a very slippery path. Have fun & welcome.

Haha. I get mine delivered to work now as she was going mental. Its from my allowance so all good. But she couldn't understand ;-)
Its the catalogue ones that are painful. Usually a double dip that no one apart from us tortured souls understand. New releases are justifiable as they are usually only £1 or so more than the amarays.
I steer clear of films I have no interest in though (Green Hornet etc). That's when it can get silly

Haha. I get mine delivered to work now as she was going mental. Its from my allowance so all good. But she couldn't understand ;-)
Its the catalogue ones that are painful. Usually a double dip that no one apart from us tortured souls understand. New releases are justifiable as they are usually only £1 or so more than the amarays.
I steer clear of films I have no interest in though (Green Hornet etc). That's when it can get silly

That's where I'm drawing the line as well, last week I ordered a copy of the Green Hornet purely on the basis that I thought it may go OOP and I'd make a tidy profit the film itself I think looks ****

Alas sense took over and I promptly cancelled the order before it was too late, also removed Skyline from my Amazon basket and will probably cancel my pre-order for Battle: LA as well

Yer Im not gonna go mad paying over the top prices but where the steelbook is close to or cheaper then the amaray then its a no brainer, like the Resident Evil: Afterlife Ive just ordered today from HMV with the 20% off code making it around £8.63 with 5% cashback aint bad at all.

Well my first steelbook order just got cancelled by Amazon due to a pricing error. I wonder if somebody up above is trying to tell me to bail out now and this is my warning.

Last edited:
Here's my rule Sony #1

Don't pre-order any Sony/columbiatristar UK released SBs as they will reduce in price @HMV eventually.

Thanks for the heads up.

My biggest issues with steelbooks are that I have 2 young children so nothing in my house isnt drawn on, slimed, scratched, finger printed or chewed. (I came downstairs yesterday to find the kids playing frisbee acrossing the living room with my Battlefield Modern Combat disc, while my missus is totally unaware in the garden hanging washing out). So I think Im asking for trouble adding collectors/expensive items into the bargain. Not only that but we are due to move to a bigger house in the not to distant future where hopefully I gain a 'den' so I might just wait till then and maybe pickup the odd cheapie on the way and box it until after the move.

Sounds sensible. Plenty bargains come up

Just out of further interest about ordering steelbooks from abroad like Amazon.ca DO they really mean 30-40 weeks shipping or are they just giving a ball park and actually it will be there much faster?

Just out of further interest about ordering steelbooks from abroad like Amazon.ca DO they really mean 30-40 weeks shipping or are they just giving a ball park and actually it will be there much faster?

Usually much faster mate, sometimes 3 or 4 days from Amazon.ca :smashin:

Yeah, every time I've used Amazon.ca for a steelbook, even when picking the cheapest shipping, they use the tracked DHL service instead, I assume they know that the standard international service is more likely to result in dents and returns.

Of course, on the other hand this means that you will absolutely get hit with import tax charges if you place a steelbook order over the limit with them, so you have to order everything separately.

Ahh ok so whats is the limit for my order because I may make one in the next week to give it a try.

Ahh ok so whats is the limit for my order because I may make one in the next week to give it a try.

You need to keep it under £18 net of postage due to customs, so depending on what you are ordering it would be one SB per order i think?

First 2 steelbooks have arrived. Undamaged to my eye:

SS100257.jpg

Now what do I do with them??

Last edited:
You mean you take them out of their wrappers???

I thought I was suppose to stick them on a stand or something :laugh:

Might order some of them sleeves at a later date. Probably going to leave them sealed in their cardboard delivery packets until after I move house.

Last edited:
Might just have to order that Karate Kid steelbook from base also. I can't say no to anything less then a tenner these days.

Also tried dipping my toe in the pool at fleabay where I have won a 'As New' Wolfman from a guy with 6000+ feedback at 100%. If its damaged in any way I havent seen the film yet so I won't feel too out of pocket.

Last edited:
First 2 steelbooks have arrived. Undamaged to my eye:

Now what do I do with them??

:rotfl::rotfl: excellent

Open them and watch the movie, if you dontvwantvto do that then you could display them on stands as has been suggested and what some of us do :)

Unwrap them and run your fingers over the shiny smooth surfaces, feeling the joy run through you.

Oh hold up, wrong forum lol

Jusy been served a 30 day consultation at work with the view of the gates closing on 31st Dec. Thats the steelbooks out of the window.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom