Jeep Compass or any other SUV recommendations

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
currently looking to buy an SUV and the wife really liked the look of the Jeep Compass as it looks and feels sturdy.
I haven't had a test drive in one yet but I did manage to drive a Vauxhall Grandland X which was quite nice (compared to my 2010 vauxhall Zafira anything would feel nice)
The wife has already ruled out the Renault Kadjar, 3008 and Nissan Quasqai as they are not upright enough.
I also want to test drive a VW Tiguan and Seat Ateca. The Skoda Kodiaq is oddly more expensive than the Tiguan so have ruled that out.

I have around £20k to spend and want bells and whistles.

What does upright mean? The Grandland X is, pretty much, a 3008.

That said, £20k won't get you far with the 3008 now, as most of the 2017 models appear to be going for that much.

The Kodiaq is more money than the Tiguan as they tend to be better specced, arguably better quality and, crucially, it's actually a bigger car.

A quick Cinch search on £20k illustrates the carnage that the used market has become

No experience of the Compass but I think they are well equipped and good value. I nearly bought a new one a few years ago but ended up with a bargain deal on a new BMW X4 instead. The Compass is assembled in India and now discontinued, but I suspect they will become a second hand gem because of the level of kit, reasonable 4x4 ability and towing capacity as a diesel.

£20k will get you a model in top spec "Limited" trim with relatively low mileage.

liked the look of the Jeep Compass as it looks and feels sturdy.
I would say any Jeep that isn't at least 50 years old will be cheap and cheerful and look like good value - but be unreliable with trim and bits variously dropping off over the years. That was true when they were made in the US, and I suspect even more true now they are made in India and similar. Actually with the legendary US build quality the reliability may have improved when they moved offshore :)

SUVs sell more than cars over here (and "utes" way more than that) - and Jeeps are universally regarded this way. They are also pretty ugly (IMHO). Maybe the ones there are better but I wouldn't put my money on it :)

Diesel and pulling power here we go for things like the Isuzu MU-X SUV or D-Max Ute. Or a Volkswagen Amarok Ute. Or Ford Ranger Ute. Or Toyota Hi-lux Ute (biggest selling car of any type here). 2.5 to 3.5 tonnes towing plus full payload of actual adults and a bit in the tray for the utes. Dual cab utes not so common over there though :) also fuel is cheaper here and those utes' fuel consumption would scare you paying what you do for fuel :rotfl:

Don't know what prices are like there but you usually can't go far wrong with a Toyota RAV for what you would call an SUV car there. If the Tiguan is big enough they are good - the Kodiaq is much bigger and more expensive but again as a VW it would be good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom