Jedi Knight Cables

Helix Hifi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always experienced some hiss from speakers, not an earth loom which causes hum. The cables I’ve always used is VDH CS122-Hybrid speaker cables. But I’ve never liked the color on them. The sound is fair enough. But I got great deal on a pair of Tellurium Q Blue speaker cables. Cracking design, build quality. And they look gorgeous. They also have fabric terminated Z-banana plugs. I don’t think I could hear any sound difference. But I was flabbergasted that the speaker cables had eliminated the speaker hiss more or less completely! Before it changed with volume gain, now it doesn’t anymore. It’s more less 💀 quiet. Now I’m wondering if this because the Tellurium cables have less resistance? And perhaps because VDH uses carbon fiber with silver coated copper? Now it’s not my intention to start sound cable war. I’m just interested if better designed cables can eliminate speaker hiss. Ps, the new cables are located some distance from the main cables. The old cables from VDH were also located that way.

Have the new cables got Dolby fitted to remove the hiss :smashin:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
But it was really strange that the speaker hiss more less disappeared. Well-lucky me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I’ve read online that some VDH cables does suffer from some speaker hiss, even hum. Now I know that some speaker hiss is more less normal. It is the noise floor from the amplifier. Speaker sensitive also play in. My Dali Oberon 5 is 88db. Still it was nice surprise regarding the Tellurium cables.

Upvote 0
If hiss is coming from your amp, it’s a problem if cables drop it, since they presumably will drop other things as well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If hiss is coming from your amp, it’s a problem if cables drop it, since they presumably will drop other things as well.
Do you mean that the amplifier is the cause, or something else.? And the cables have corrected this?

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly I doubt it. As said I’ve had many amps before, and all them have had some hiss emitted from my speakers. But come to think about the VDH cables is more noisy/hissy.

Upvote 0
If you've got hiss from your speakers, you should be looking at your amp or source.

Speakers reproduce what they're fed. If a cable is reducing/eliminating hiss, it must be attenuating the frequencies in question, which could also be frequencies you WANT to be heard.

Upvote 0
If you've got hiss from your speakers, you should be looking at your amp or source.

Speakers reproduce what they're fed. If a cable is reducing/eliminating hiss, it must be attenuating the frequencies in question, which could also be frequencies you WANT to be heard.
Duly noted. But my amplifier, speakers, source is not the problem. They behave just fine. If you google speaker hiss, then you’ll see that it can, and is normal. Too much of course not. Been reading a lot online about VDH cables. Apparently they can produce speaker hiss, even hum compared to other brands. Perhaps the Tellurium cables are shielded, or uses better isolated? But ive read there is no need to shield speaker cables because it does not lead current the same way as interconnects cables does. I’m no expert however. Just curious if other people have experienced the same regarding speakers hiss, and it had gotten better with other cables.

Upvote 0
Most like because of,
  • Improperly wired jacks/plugs
  • Mismatched or loose jacks/plugs
  • Loose or damaged cables
  • Loose solder connections

Upvote 0
If anyone’s interested I did found the culprit which makes my hifi speakers hiss more then normally. As I said I’ve always experienced some hiss from my hifi speakers over the years, but lately it has gotten worse. It is another hifi kit which I don’t use anymore. That hifi kit was turned of when I first listened to the Tellurium cables. So it was no surprise the hiss is more then less eliminated. So I know use the VDH cables. Only hiss when the volume/gain is on max without any music playing. And that is completely normal, as it is the amplifier noise floor you hear. Though some solid state amplifier makes less noise then others, and Yamaha high end models are more less dead quite. So happy days.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom