1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jean Michel Jarre - "Live in China"

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by PaulBoy, Jun 4, 2005.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    My copy of the above DVD arrived from Play this morning & I have to say how impressive it is!
    A DVD of the main concert in The Forbidden City within Beijing - this DVD also has some extra concert footage from Tian'anmen Square - both concerts are in 5.1 & DTS and according to the box feature the first music DVD to get THX Certification - the audio is excellent and very LOUD compared to my other concert DVDS but the quality still appears to be top notch as you'd expect from Jarre (& the fact that its got the THX seal of approval)
    The bits of the show I have watched are like a live version of "Aero" with a Chinese flavour (some added Chinese orchestra & solo instruments) and IMHO it works really well - looking forward to really cranking this one up when 'er indoors is out :devil:
    The main DVD has a commentary track with Jarre (haven't checked this out yet)
    Next there is a 2nd DVD with a couple of documentaries - the main one is about Jarre's trip to China and is over 50mins - it is in French but has English & a few other subtitles
    Finally there is a CD of the concert
    Did I mention its in a really nicely made double digipak (although the CD is just tucked in a flap)
    From what I've seen & heard money well spent & worth checking out :thumbsup:
    Paul

2. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have to agree with PaulBoy, I loved Jarre but then thought he lost his way a bit in recent years. Bought this not expecting much but have to say it is fantastic, the quality of the DTS audio is great with instruments and sounds panning all around the room. I think this will be appearing in a lot of demo rooms. The Laser Harp is back! :thumbsup:

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Just got this today - looking forward to watching / listening.

Must say I thought Aero was stonkingly brilliant too (musically) and a fantastic reference disc to try out your AV or HiFi system...PJ :thumbsup:

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,351
    I have Aero and think it really is superb, is it worth me getting this DVD as well ?

5. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes :smashin:

PaulBoy's post is spot-on :thumbsup:

6. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I thought Aero was very good. I'm not a big fan of Jarre but I like enough of his work to warrant buying something different. So I'm glad I got Aero. As for this DVD..it's fairly cheap so I think I'll get it quite soon.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    The picture and sound quality are jaw droppingly good.

I'd say that in terms of picture it's actually the best live DVD I've seen....PJ :thumbsup: