1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JBL TIK sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by karkus30, Oct 4, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just seen one of these beasts in the workshop of a manufacturer......looks impressive, there doesnt seem to be anything on JBLs site, but a search on the net reveals some interesting facts and figures.

Its a $5000 dollar sub, so its no economy job and weighs in at 68Kg.

Anyone know anything about it??

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Occasional forum visitor Poda runs huge JBL subwoofers (not that model though) and reckons that they may not go quite as deep as his Velodyne DD but the timing is far better for musical use.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

-3db at 18Hz

4. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am the happy owner of the JBL Ti-K sub :). It is very good for both music and movies. You can adjust level, crossover frequency, phase and contour. When the sub is in a corner you can adjust the contour level for a flatter response. It is big and heavy, though. The sub was packed in a wooden case and you needed two strong man to carry it. It wasn't an easy task to put this monster on spikes, but I dit it, yes!

Willy

Off-topic: my granddad once lived in Darlington (he was Dutch, just like me). He owned a betting shop in Duke Street. My uncle still lives in Darlington and I have been there a few times. Very nice place.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thats the beasty-wooden crate, piano black finish.

I have vague memories of a betting shop in duke st, on the left as you walked into town. It is a nice place, compared to 20 years ago. We even get daytrippers now :eek:

6. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My sub is in beech, just like the other JBL Ti-K loudspeakers I have. That is why I was allowed to buy the Ti-K sub: my former sub was a REL Storm III in black. If I could do it all over again I might be tempted to buy all the speakers in Ferrari Red, but they are very, very expensive in that color.

My granddad passed away in 1967, so if we are talking about the same shop (it was on the first floor, the shop is still there; I believe there is a broker in it now) your memory is excellent!

Unfortunately, I have never met my grandfather, but I do have a photo of him at work in his shop.

I would have visited Darlington in July of this year, but my work wasn't finished, so my holiday was ruined. :mad:

Willy