JBL Synthesis SDR-35 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Lovely looking product, a few AVR and AVP manufacturers have some catching up to do with styling in comparison.

Oh and good music choice 🤣

Nice to see a review of this, we did a few units prior to being able to finally also sell the Arcam alternative and it does indeed hit all the right notes, literally. Thanks for the review.

Dan

Thanks for the review, Steve! Were you able to test Bass Control with multiple subs? That is the main feature that has me interested in the SDR-35.

I used bass control with two subs because that's all I've got in my system, but it did a fantastic job of blending the two and integrating them with the rest of the system. Obviously you can use it for more subs than that, but either way it's surprisingly easy to use, and I found the overall bass performance with my two subs was superb.

@Steve Withers

Seems a bit light at 10.6kg so I think JBL must have mixed up the weight specification on their website as they list this as the same weight as the SDP-55 Processor.

The Arcam AVR-30 is just over 18kgs.

@Steve Withers

Seems a bit light at 10.6kg so I think JBL must have mixed up the weight specification on their website as they list this as the same weight as the SDP-55 Processor.

The Arcam AVR-30 is just over 18kgs.
Certainly felt like a lot more than 10.6kg when I was lifting it out of the box and into my rack!

Lovely looking product, a few AVR and AVP manufacturers have some catching up to do with styling in comparison.

Oh and good music choice 🤣
My thoughts exactly, it's a looker and delivers beyond those looks .Certainly a peice of kit one wants on display rather than hidden away .

It really looks well. Absolutely agree that the accumulation of logos spoils the cleanliness of the design. Maybe logos should be placed next to each other in a one row, or maybe - just placed outside the glass bar. Nonetheless, performance is the key thing and it looks like most of the expectations were met here.

Im only seeing one sub out ?

Two are shown but I believe others a flexible (assignable) outputs:

1624538186375.png

Channels 13-16 can be assigned to subs

Essentially you have 7.1.4 and then 4 more channels can be assigned as follows:
Channels 13-14 - Wides or Subs
Channels 15-16 - Top Mids or Center Height and VOG or Subs

Great review. Expensive, but I really like it. I've been looking at the SDP-55 lately and while obviously a different product, I'm thinking that's the way I want to go over Anthem, Arcam & the HTP-1.

Great review. Expensive, but I really like it. I've been looking at the SDP-55 lately and while obviously a different product, I'm thinking that's the way I want to go over Anthem, Arcam & the HTP-1.
I have to say I’m with you on that. I’ve looked at those models as well and I came to the same conclusion.

I have to say I’m with you on that. I’ve looked at those models as well and I came to the same conclusion.
Without going to the the likes of Lyngdorf, Trinnov & Storm (which are well above what I can afford!), there's only the AVM70, HTP-1, Arcam AV40 & SDP-55 that I'm interested in. I want something that uses either Dirac or ARC.

Ruled out the HTP-1 because of international warranty. AVM70 would have been my choice but from what I can make out, the Arcam would have the edge for music (which I'd like an improvement in). Which brought me to the SDP-55 as a better version with DLBC included. And it does look very nice which is a bonus.

Without going to the the likes of Lyngdorf, Trinnov & Storm (which are well above what I can afford!), there's only the AVM70, HTP-1, Arcam AV40 & SDP-55 that I'm interested in. I want something that uses either Dirac or ARC.

Ruled out the HTP-1 because of international warranty. AVM70 would have been my choice but from what I can make out, the Arcam would have the edge for music (which I'd like an improvement in). Which brought me to the SDP-55 as a better version with DLBC included. And it does look very nice which is a bonus.
Pretty similar here. Although, I’ve ruled out Anthem.

Bugs? Thats what stopped me…
Yeah that’s one thing. Yet something else that’s released without being fully tested. Or maybe it was and was just released anyway.
But having owned Anthem before I didn’t like it for a few reasons so I’m not tempted to get another one.

The JBL Processor though does appeal so far.

I’ve never actually owned one but feel it could be my next step. And I like the look of the JBL SDP-55

I think a lot of these products tend to have bugs on release. I've no doubt the Anthems will improve and most seem happy already. But I'm just leaning a different way now. It helps the JBLs have been out for a while and already refined through updates.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom