JBL Synthesis Power Amps

Digits75

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Not quite sure where my old user name has gone so apologies this appears as a first post since re-registering.

Does anyone have any experience of the JBL Synthesis power amps? There is an offer on at the moment with 55% off the SDA7200 at audiovisualonline.co.uk

Specs look ok on the unit but there aren't any balanced inputs (just in case I upgrade my processor in the future) and I don't seem to be able to find any reviews of it which seem a bit odd.

I know people rate some of the Synthesis speakers for HT use but never seen any of the power amps used.

I've currently using a Denon 3400 receiver but fancy upgrading to a separate power amp (powering B&W speakers) and was going to go with a second hand Emotiva XPA Gen 3 with 5 channels but seeing the JBL has made me wonder whether to have look elsewhere.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

I assume they are referring to the fact it is a class D amp and therefore worse than class A/B's or class A amps.

Obviously it's subjective as to what sounds good to an individuals ear yet implying class D's are worse is a bit of a sweeping statement.

They look like amazing value. 200 watts x 7 for £1350! I had a look at the specs and it doesn't state what the input sensitivity is. Odd.

Still looking at this flicking between the JBL, Emotiva or perhaps even a Marantz.

The JBL lists SNR ratio at 94Br, does anyone know if that's relatable to dB? If it is relatable the Marantz power amps seem to have a much better SNR of 105dB.

Oooo. Although I have read several views that Yamaha amps don't sound too good with B&W speakers compared with Marantz.

Cheap though.

That yamaha amp has little bit poor power all channels driven

Depending on budget is step up. I was going to buy emotiva xpa until read about them

I'm quite tempted by this, I do like a bargain. However, there seems to be no information on the input sensitivity / gain. Seems odd.

@AV Online can you help with the specifications of this power amp at all? The manufacturer quoted data is confusing, specifically I'd like to know what input voltage it needs to reach maximum power output. Thanks!

One thing that did grab my attention was that the JBL is a very light amp in that it weighs around half of other similar amps. Makes me wonder why?

One thing that did grab my attention was that the JBL is a very light amp in that it weighs around half of other similar amps. Makes me wonder why?
Class D amplification is a lot lighter and cooler than Class A/B.

The processor that is designed to partner with this power amp is specified as having a 4 volts output from it's RCA pre-outs, which puts me off somewhat. If this power amp is expecting an input at or near 4 volts, I am pretty sure my pre-amp won't deliver that.

High end 7 channel power amp class ab weighs 40kg kilo. Class ab.

Yeah class D are lightweight. 4v is quite high typicall 1.5-2v. not many pre amps output 4v over RCA.

What if you use XLR out?

@AV Online can you help with the specifications of this power amp at all? The manufacturer quoted data is confusing, specifically I'd like to know what input voltage it needs to reach maximum power output. Thanks!

The official answer we have got back is:

Gain: 29.8dB, which means it requires 1.29Vrms to drive it into rated power 200W-8

The reason for the lack of information and reviews on these units is they were not previously sold in the retail market, just through custom installation projects.

The official answer we have got back is:

The reason for the lack of information and reviews on these units is they were not previously sold in the retail market, just through custom installation projects.
Hello need some help matching denon 8500 to power amp. Spoke with Denon and Ati yesterday denon said the pre outs are 1.2-1.4v Ati says to get full power I need 2.5v on the AT543NC and 2.0v on the AT528NC. I really like the class D amps for space and heat. Plus the 8 channel to drive surrounds and heights is perfect for my setup. I want to know how much of a difference the lack of per out voltage will make a difference ati claims that the will see less then full power but still be around 300 watts on the 543 and around 150 watts on the 528. Or other amps people have matched to the 8500. I checked and can’t find any benchmarks on actual per out voltage on the 8500 other then what denon claims. Thanks oh and yes I know 500 watts is over kill on the prime pinnacles but I want the headroom for when I upgrade in couple years.

I have also looked at parasound emotiva monoprice and anthem amp.

7.2.4 Current system: Sony 77” OLED A9G, Denon X8500H, ROG Laptop, Panasonic 820 UHD player, XBone S, PS4 Pro, Mini Dps 2x4HD, SVS Ultra Center, Prime Pinnacle’s Towers, Ultra Surrounds, Prime Elevations, 2 PC4000, Panamax 5300, Brickwall Surge, AQ Cinnamon HDMI’s, Monoprice 12/2 Speaker wire, 3 dedicated 20amp outlets, Hue LED lighting via Hue HDMI sync. Room is 20x25x20.

Will be adding another PC4000 giving me a 7.3.4 and GIK room treatment

That being said I can get two of these JBL amps new for 3000 in the US are they good amps

Hi all

Not quite sure where my old user name has gone so apologies this appears as a first post since re-registering.

Does anyone have any experience of the JBL Synthesis power amps? There is an offer on at the moment with 55% off the SDA7200 at audiovisualonline.co.uk

Specs look ok on the unit but there aren't any balanced inputs (just in case I upgrade my processor in the future) and I don't seem to be able to find any reviews of it which seem a bit odd.

I know people rate some of the Synthesis speakers for HT use but never seen any of the power amps used.

I've currently using a Denon 3400 receiver but fancy upgrading to a separate power amp (powering B&W speakers) and was going to go with a second hand Emotiva XPA Gen 3 with 5 channels but seeing the JBL has made me wonder whether to have look elsewhere.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Did you ever buy this. I'm in exactly the same position as you. Can't find a review and trying to decide whether my Pioneer LX59 pre-outs will power it.

Thanks

James

James. I looked I can’t find any numbers for you. You may need to call them and ask.I bought two 3 months ago and couldn’t be happier running off a denon 8500.

Attachments

• 8515C6EF-7106-4822-AD14-5D70918A7BE7.jpeg
    8515C6EF-7106-4822-AD14-5D70918A7BE7.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 470
James. I looked I can’t find any numbers for you. You may need to call them and ask.I bought two 3 months ago and couldn’t be happier running off a denon 8500.

Hi PP,

Thanks for that. Looks great, I think I might do it then.

I've got three JAMO THX ONE LCRs I want it to run mainly, so I was going to go for the Emotiva XPA 3X. But with this I can ditch, my Onkyo NR1007 that's running my Surround Backs. Did you find it made a real difference to the sound? The Pioneer is rated at 240w at 4 ohms with one channel driven, I'm thinking the JBL will p**s on this. Well I hope...

Thanks

James

Hi PP,

Thanks for that. Looks great, I think I might do it then.

I've got three JAMO THX ONE LCRs I want it to run mainly, so I was going to go for the Emotiva XPA 3X. But with this I can ditch, my Onkyo NR1007 that's running my Surround Backs. Did you find it made a real difference to the sound? The Pioneer is rated at 240w at 4 ohms with one channel driven, I'm thinking the JBL will p**s on this. Well I hope...

Thanks

James
Oh yea definitely worth the 3K to bring my HT to life. Honestly didn’t know what I was missing clearer deeper cleaner sound. The denon is rated at 170x2@8 ohms probably 70ish for the 13 speakers I was driving I believe. Now the JBL is 320x2@8 ohms and 200x7@8ohms. I was watching movies around -5ish sometimes higher now am -20/-15. Huge difference.

Oh yea definitely worth the 3K to bring my HT to life. Honestly didn’t know what I was missing clearer deeper cleaner sound. The denon is rated at 170x2@8 ohms probably 70ish for the 13 speakers I was driving I believe. Now the JBL is 320x2@8 ohms and 200x7@8ohms. I was watching movies around -5ish sometimes higher now am -20/-15. Huge difference.

Right that seals it for me then. I've ask AV Online of they'll open up the AVforums discount again, you never know...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom