don't seem to be explaining myself very well but yes I prefer the soundstage with my L/R at 60deg
which are not and wont be going behind my 138" 16.9 AT screen

Last edited:
don't seem to be explaining myself very well but yes I prefer the soundstage with my L/R at 60deg
which are not and wont be going behind my 138" 16.9 AT screen
You can always hide the L/R inwalls behind some MVEL panels then the visual transition is minimal. Have you considered thin on walls like procella p6v?

You can always hide the L/R inwalls behind some MVEL panels then the visual transition is minimal. Have you considered thin on walls like procella p6v?
I am open to any speaker suggestions so I will have a look at those procella's

You’ve got a good range of choices:

• procella p6v or p6 in walls
  • JBL scl range
  • starke sound in wall p3
  • Martin Logan tribute or icon in all

It’s just impossible doing demos on most of them

Wisdom and PMC have also been suggested elsewhere
as you say demos are hard to get

Wisdom p2i look good. I’ve got a bit of a personal allergy to pmc speakers but many people love them.

Anyone ever heard these or think they'd be any good...

I'd look at powering them with something like this...

I'm currently using an SVS PB12/2 which is an absolute monster and probably too powerful/big for my system so just fancy a change really!!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Anyone ever heard these or think they'd be any good...

I'd look at powering them with something like this...

I'm currently using an SVS PB12/2 which is an absolute monster and probably too powerful/big for my system so just fancy a change really!!
They don't look great for cinema duties. They've got a really extended high end, but presumably you'd want to cross over around 80Hz anyway? The 35Hz roll off and relatively low power handling aren't great. It's down about 20dB at 20Hz. Room gain will compensate for some of that, but you'd still be struggling sub 30Hz.

Thanks mate, that answers that then! I'll stick with the SVS for now

Thanks mate, that answers that then! I'll stick with the SVS for now
No worries. I saw them myself and was tempted given the price, but the specs didn't look great. I figured if I was going to go the passive sub route I could get far better performance, for the same price, by going DIY.

No worries. I saw them myself and was tempted given the price, but the specs didn't look great. I figured if I was going to go the passive sub route I could get far better performance, for the same price, by going DIY.

I considered DIY last year when putting my room together and still like the thought now but still doubting my skills / tools at the moment unless I imported the box kits.

The SVS I have is great but its absolutely massive hence wanting to change to two 15/18" single subs in smaller enclosures.

Hope everyone is well and wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Well, I've finally made the jump to an AT screen and boy am I impressed.

After an incredible difficult time with assembly, grazing the velvet off in 2 small areas along the way, I finally finished it earlier. I'm overwhelmed with joy and the feeling of success and feel very proud. As soon as I saw the fabric fully stretched across the frame, I felt like a weight was lifted and my OCD and sadness about the scrapes went away. I had in mind to patch them over with some black flock but I can't even seem them. Fortunately, the frame beneath is also black, albeit a bit shiny and the grazes are at 2 corners and not large.

I'm typing this on my new screen. I've placed the screen on top of my subs and safely propped up for the time being. against my XTZ M6 speakers for the time being. The image doesn't perfectly fit the frame, so am hoping it isn't because the frame is not perfectly square - it might be out by a 1 mm or 2, actually - and hoping it's just my projector and or frame that is not level. I had the same issue with my Duronic screen. But I can live with it, I think.

Firstly, I am overwhelmed by how good the image is. And the sound? Oh, man! The SAMs are singing. Nothing prepared me for this, which included draping a bed sheet over my speakers or placing my old PVC screen in front to try and get an idea of the AT experience. No reflection whatsoever from the SAMs, I was worried there might be some minor reflection from the woofer cones which are a satin finish and reflect lamp light, for example. But there is nothing at all.

I can't get over how good LCR sounds. There is the feeling of perfection, completion, unification (between image and sound and LCR) and everything how it should be. I cried during the scene in Jurassic Park - my favourite film of all time - in which Dr Grant, Ellie and John Hammond gazed into the distance at the heard of Brachiosaur. The swelling and soaring sound of John Williams's beautiful score coupled with the now more appealing CIH/ smaller 1.85:1 image and my love for the film had me overcome with emotion. It was I can't imagine how good things will sound once my room is furnished and treated. There isn't even any acoustic foam between the speakers. I am happy I am doing the JBLs justice. It took a lot of going back and forth, comparing setups so finally realise this was the way forwards for me. For example, the last time I went back to tests on my non-AT screen, it just didn't click for me anymore overall. Mind you, it wasn't too bad but IMAX especially was not as immersive with the taller image - a compromise for the compromise of having to have my centre below the screen, but as high as possible for it to sound decent - and further viewing distance.

I'm so happy I went with an AT screen in the end. I will be using it as CIH + IMAX: now preferring CIH - smaller 16:9 and 1.85:1 content really benefits from the extra brightness, vibrancy, sharpness and overall viewing experience. And I am still loving and favouring an IMAX experience, which is why I stuck with a16:9 screen.

I hope to make some magnetic masking panels using strong magnets in the back of the frame. Unfortunately my X7900 doesn't remember its lens memory perfectly, but I'm willing to adjust it each time if I must. I know that this is a common issue with most lens memories. I hope to upgrade to a native JVC 4K in the next couple of years, though, so hopefully they are more stable.

I chose to not use the black backing for the screen as I had a hunch it would look fine without it, and it really does! Oh, boy. And lights behind the screen will show the speakers up better with just the white fabric, too. I could even re-purpose the black backing material for the masking panels. But I will try to source some good AT material first instead.

Time to crack on with the room as soon as possible.

A big thanks to all that encouraged me that I could do an AT setup in my room. Experimenting, taking my time and making small but confident steps was the key for me to get to this stage.

fallinlight

Last edited:
Hope everyone is well and wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Well, I've finally made the jump to an AT screen and boy am I impressed.

After an incredible difficult time with assembly, grazing the velvet off in 2 small areas along the way, I finally finished it earlier. I'm overwhelmed with joy and the feeling of success and feel very proud. As soon as I saw the fabric fully stretched across the frame, I felt like a weight was lifted and my OCD and sadness about the scrapes went away. I had in mind to patch them over with some black flock but I can't even seem them. Fortunately, the frame beneath is also black, albeit a bit shiny and the grazes are at 2 corners and not large.

I'm typing this on my new screen. I've placed the screen on top of my subs and safely propped up for the time being. against my XTZ M6 speakers for the time being. The image doesn't perfectly fit the frame, so am hoping it isn't because the frame is not perfectly square - it might be out by a 1 mm or 2, actually - and hoping it's just my projector and or frame that is not level. I had the same issue with my Duronic screen. But I can live with it, I think.

Firstly, I am overwhelmed by how good the image is. And the sound? Oh, man! The SAMs are singing. Nothing prepared me for this, which included draping a bed sheet over my speakers or placing my old PVC screen in front to try and get an idea of the AT experience. I can't imagine how good things will sound once the room is furnished and treated. So, here's to that. No reflection whatsoever from the SAMs, I was worried there might be some minor reflection from the woofer cones which are a satin finish and reflect lamp light, for example. But there is nothing at all.

I can't get over how good LCR sounds. There is the feeling of perfection, completion, unification (between image and sound and LCR) and everything how it should be. I can't imagine how good things will sound once my room is furnished and treated. There isn't even any acoustic foam between the speakers. I am happy I am doing the JBLs justice. It took a lot of going back and forth, comparing setups so finally realise this was the way forwards for me. For example, the last time I went back to tests on my non-AT screen, it just didn't click for me anymore overall. Mind you, it wasn't too bad but IMAX especially was not as immersive with the taller image - a compromise for the compromise of having to have my centre below the screen, but as high as possible for it to sound decent - and further viewing distance.

I'm so happy I went with an AT screen in the end. I will be using it as CIH + IMAX: now preferring CIH - smaller 16:9 and 1.85:1 content really benefits from the extra brightness, vibrancy, sharpness and overall viewing experience. And I am still loving and favouring an IMAX experience, which is why I stuck with a16:9 screen.

I hope to make some magnetic masking panels using strong magnets in the back of the frame. Unfortunately my X7900 doesn't remember its lens memory perfectly, but I'm willing to adjust it each time if I must. I know that this is a common issue with most lens memories. I hope to upgrade to a native JVC 4K in the next couple of years, though, so hopefully they are more stable.

I chose to not use the black backing for the screen as I had a hunch it would look fine without it, and it really does! Oh, boy. And lights behind the screen will show the speakers up better with just the white fabric, too. I could even re-purpose the black backing material for the masking panels. But I will try to source some good AT material first instead.

Time to crack on with the room as soon as possible.

A big thanks to all that encouraged me that I could do an AT setup in my room. Experimenting, taking my time and making small but confident steps was the key for me to get to this stage.

fallinlight
Great to hear mate. 👍🏻

For anyone seeking the SAM 1HF/ 2LF, there is an eBay US seller selling the 1HF modules:

I asked last week if they have the 2LF for sale and they said that, they 'believe they can still access some, however exporting would be extremely expensive'.

And being curious about the SCL range as a means to maximise space and have a larger screen and further viewing distance in the future, I asked Dan at Sound Counsel if they can be used in their back boxes like a regular speaker, without the need for a baffle wall. Dan said that, "these could be used with the backboxes and effectively be on walls. As long as the back box is used in both instances performance would be identical". So, that is great to know.

Hopefully that helps any of you seeking or considering either of these speakers. @mb3195, seeing how hard the SAMs are to get, a pair from the eBay seller, if possible, so that you can complete a matching LCR, may be a consideration for you.

Still can't find any 3677's :(

May have to consider the 708P's instead :eek:

And being curious about the SCL range as a means to maximise space and have a larger screen and further viewing distance in the future, I asked Dan at Sound Counsel if they can be used in their back boxes like a regular speaker, without the need for a baffle wall. Dan said that, "these could be used with the backboxes and effectively be on walls. As long as the back box is used in both instances performance would be identical". So, that is great to know.
Which SCL models have backboxes?

Still can't find any 3677's :(

May have to consider the 708P's instead :eek:

That's quite the jump in price! You'd be looking at about £5k LCR for the 708P. Whilst that would get you better native frequency response than you'd get with the 3677, the peak SPL wouldn't be close. And the 3677's frequency response can always be EQ'd.

More importantly, there's a lot to be said for large, high sensitivity drivers on LCR. Theoretically, I can't explain why, as FR and max SPL should be determining factors. But lots of people (including me) have noticed that big, high efficiency speakers, have a tremendous immediacy and lifelike presence to the sound.

I assume you can't accommodate the 4722N? They're the same sort of price as the 708P and would give you that huge pro cinema sound that the 3677s deliver. The 708P is an amazing speaker though, so it'd still be an awesome choice so long as you're not sitting too far back.

Or ... you could drive to Germany!

I would absolutely love the 3677's even more so than the 708P's but I just can't find any in the UK at the moment. I guess I'm not in a major rush just a little inpatient!! :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom