JBL Studio or Infinity Reference

jschwind

Novice Member
I am looking to upgrade from a HiTB system in my theater room. I upgraded my avr to an onkyo tx-nr696 last year and now I am moving on to my speakers. My budget is $1000 and I am looking to possibly take advantage of the JBL sale right now. I was going to get a pair of studio 580s for fronts, 520c for center and 530s for surrounds. How would this set up compare to my original plan of Infinity Reference R263 (fronts), rc263 (center) and r162 (surrounds)? I am planning on purchasing ceiling atmos and upgrading subs down the road. Right now I have 2 low powered subs, 1 leftover from my HiTB, a 230 watt Onkyo skw-550, and a hand me down JBL psw-1000. Thanks in advance.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am looking to upgrade from a HiTB system in my theater room. I upgraded my avr to an onkyo tx-nr696 last year and now I am moving on to my speakers. My budget is $1000 and I am looking to possibly take advantage of the JBL sale right now. I was going to get a pair of studio 580s for fronts, 520c for center and 530s for surrounds. How would this set up compare to my original plan of Infinity Reference R263 (fronts), rc263 (center) and r162 (surrounds)? I am planning on purchasing ceiling atmos and upgrading subs down the road. Right now I have 2 low powered subs, 1 leftover from my HiTB, a 230 watt Onkyo skw-550, and a hand me down JBL psw-1000. Thanks in advance.

Both brands are designed under Harman and they are quality products. However looking the models i would lean toward the Infinity due to better center channel speaker which covers ~70% of movies soundtrack so rather than only looking the main speakers. That RC263 is just the type of center channel you want for a horizontal laying one. It has dual 6,5" bass drivers and 3-way design with mid-range driver also with a vertical alignment to battle certain issues you get with these horizontal center channels. If you look the JBL design it´s 2-way with small 4" drivers while you have the large 580 towers. I feel for movies this is not the route i would go, but your call.

The subwoofers you have are garbage. The 230w is dynamic power, so both subs are about 100w budget stuff and old. Not that you would need to look too much about the wattages..

Personally i would buy the front three Infinity speakers you listed (even 2nd hand) and then next add quality subwoofer or two and after that add the rest of speakers as when you get large quality sub or two it can make so dramatic difference to your viewing experience.

As you live in US and looking best bang for buck have a look at Monoprice THX subs:

And also HSU depending of your room size and other requirements:

SVS is also good choice and is probably most known largest company that is specialized in woofers, but they raised their prices due to shipping costs going up so Monoprice and HSU are very strong options!

jschwind

Novice Member
Both brands are designed under Harman and they are quality products. However looking the models i would lean toward the Infinity due to better center channel speaker which covers ~70% of movies soundtrack so rather than only looking the main speakers. That RC263 is just the type of center channel you want for a horizontal laying one. It has dual 6,5" bass drivers and 3-way design with mid-range driver also with a vertical alignment to battle certain issues you get with these horizontal center channels. If you look the JBL design it´s 2-way with small 4" drivers while you have the large 580 towers. I feel for movies this is not the route i would go, but your call.

The subwoofers you have are garbage. The 230w is dynamic power, so both subs are about 100w budget stuff and old. Not that you would need to look too much about the wattages..

Personally i would buy the front three Infinity speakers you listed (even 2nd hand) and then next add quality subwoofer or two and after that add the rest of speakers as when you get large quality sub or two it can make so dramatic difference to your viewing experience.

As you live in US and looking best bang for buck have a look at Monoprice THX subs:

And also HSU depending of your room size and other requirements:

SVS is also good choice and is probably most known largest company that is specialized in woofers, but they raised their prices due to shipping costs going up so Monoprice and HSU are very strong options!
Thanks. I was leaning toward the infinity’s exactly for the reason you gave, the center channel.

If I were to invest in a sub instead of the surrounds, would it be ok to use the surrounds from my last system as surrounds with the infinity to complete the 5.1? They are onkyo skm-550.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I was leaning toward the infinity’s exactly for the reason you gave, the center channel.

If I were to invest in a sub instead of the surrounds, would it be ok to use the surrounds from my last system as surrounds with the infinity to complete the 5.1? They are onkyo skm-550.

Yes you can use them for the time being and later when funds allow get something better.

Do not cheap out with the subwoofer. Those links i posted are all good options, but also depending of your room size and listening habits etc. Most of the 200-300$ stuff on Amazon is pure junk and that means you have to upgrade soon.. Rather save up more and then go big! You won`t regret it.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom