1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JBL SCS Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chuckalicious, Oct 24, 2005.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the JBL SCS 138 speaker set and just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it or other JBL offerings. I know it's a few years old now, and to be honest, I'm quite happy with it, but I've never had anything else so I've nothign to compare it to.

I can't seem to find much about JBL speakers or many reviews on them, so was hoping someone might be able to offer some thoughts on these

Thanks

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion JBL is disappointing in the last few years. Their speakers don't match the company's standards from previous years. Their E series is awful and it's a shame they ever made such a horrible speaker.
    I didn't hear the 138 model but I did hear the 140 and 146 and wasn't impressed at all. They are OK speakers but nothing more. If you upgrade I recommend on other brands.

3. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply. One of the main reasons I went for the JBLs were because of their size. Good lookers. If I was to upgrade, I'd be wanting something of a similar size.

I know the satellite speakers will never give as good a sound as the larger ones (unless someone wishes to correct me), but what would people suggest I went for as a replacement, bearing in mind me wishing to stick to the smaller speakers?

4. conkerman

conkerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    How much do you want to spend??

Kef eggs are good. 5005's are too and look the bizz :)

B&W mini theatres are getting rave reviews.

Quad Lite

Castle compact

All good systems.

Unfortunately they all cost aboot a grand.

5. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ah, they are quite pricey. I know mine were about £300, which was quite a lot of money to me back when I bought them.

There is no way I'd spend £1000 on speakers, I just can't justify it, so around £300-400 would be my limit sadly.

6. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What reciever do you own?

7. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's a Yamaha HCT-560RDS or similar. Again it's not that new and isn't that high end. I imagine I'd upgrade that at the same time as the speakers

8. conkerman

conkerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    KEF KHT 1005, have recently been reduced to £299. Might be worth ago :)

9. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if you upgrade the speakers, the reciever could be a problem because it won't match the speakers (in order to avoid this u must test your own reciever with the speakers in the shop) or it won't be good enough for them (in that case you'll need to buy a reciever too). Anyway try the speakers with your reciever.

10. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mentally, what do you mean "it won't match the speakers"?

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Speakers and amps have a simbiotic relationship, so for the best quality and experience you need to match them, and this is what all the hifi/audiophile fuss is about really.

An expensive baddly matched system won't sound as good as a much cheaper well matched system, unfortunity we can't test every single combination and what makes things even more difficult is that we all have different hearing and consider some presentaions (of audio) better than others. Its a complicated gig, you can go on magazine recomendations, but for the best you need to put the time and effort in. Saying this a good set of speakers with a good amp is gonna sound decent, there just maybe a better combo for the money .... (how much better is another thing entirely too)