1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JBL S120PII vs. Velodyne SPL800II

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Keith_EmersonLP, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Keith_EmersonLP

Keith_EmersonLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I need a new sub. The room is my computer room, which is about 15x12 feet (4.5x3.7 meters for you Brits, I'm in the US :D ) or thereabouts...maybe a little larger. It's full of stuff, so the sound dissipates well, just one wall that's really bare. I use it for gaming and music, next to no movies here.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering getting the JBL S120PII. I'm looking for something really powerful, but of course with clean sounding bass. I'm not too picky; I'm looking more for loudness than quality right now.

The S120PII seems to be a good choice because of nice power output, fairly large enclosure, and a nice driver too. The JBL floorstanders from the Northridge series put out very clean bass, so I presume this sub should do the same. I'm not that picky about it either way.

However in the same price range I found the Velodyne SPL800II. I know Velodyne is known for making really nice sounding subs, but I don't know how loud this thing is. The 1000W RMS amp it sports is mindblowing; I have no Idea how they fit that in there. But I just don't know if the tiny enclosure and driver can make the same boom as the big honkin' JBL. Also it's a sealed enclosure, which is great for quality, but not for loudness. That 1000W just seems promising.

I managed to get a hold of a technical review of the Velodyne...I couldn't find one of the JBL; I only found the BS ones that you find on like Amazon or wherever. Anyway, the review on the Velodyne said it managed to get 108dB @65Hz, which I find impressive.

I don't have any question that I'll like the JBL, it's a classic big, heavy sub, but I'm wondering if the Velodyne is going to be louder. Does anybody own one? Or possibly, does anyone have an alternative for less than $400 shipped?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't get too hung up on amplifier power as larger watts doesn't necessarily equate with more volume. The Velodyne needs a large amp firstly as it has to power an accelerometer and secondly as the case is relatively small.

$400 is an exceptional price for the Velodyne (even if it is a discontinued line) and there was a brief review of it in Secrets of Home Theater here

Can't speak for the JBL though as they are rarities in the UK

3. Keith_EmersonLP

Keith_EmersonLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I know, I couldn't find a darn dB rating on the JBL. The tiny enclosure is why I haven't picked up that Velodyne yet.

Also, how are the SPL series drivers constructed? I saw 'piston' in their specs and I'm guessing it's not a typical transducer. I'm thinking maybe it's a compression driver, although I never fully understood what those were.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The nearest sub have have heard to the velodyne is the sub from the deco package,that was more like the spl800mk1 spec wise so the mk11 should be better all round.
    The velo was built like a tank and felt like one ,it sounded great with music and films and the small size ment you could put it almost anywhere.You won't be disappointed if you go for the velo.

5. Keith_EmersonLP

Keith_EmersonLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a review of the JBL and it scored 111dB on an SPL meter at 62Hz...Velodyne got 108dB@65Hz. So, the JBL , going by that, would be twice as loud although it's a different room etc so I think it's just louder...I think I'm gonna pick it up as soon as I can find a good deal on it. I saw it on eBay once $320 shipped (reputable dealer, not a scam).

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not sure that the output at 65Hz is that relevant as most people buy subwoofers to reproduce notes much lower than that and if it is sheer volume that you're after it is the output at 25Hz and 20Hz and below that interests us as they are the real bass notes.

7. Keith_EmersonLP

Keith_EmersonLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I found something interesting, a freq response chart of the S120PII:

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good, seems to be able to acheive high SPL at 33Hz :D