Jbl Dsc 1000

Charan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Has any one actualy bought/used the new JBL DSC 1000???

If so - i would be very grateful to receive your reviews of the system and also whether the DVD player can be made codefree/multiregion?

Many thanks and kind regards
Charan

Charan said:
Dear All,

Has any one actualy bought/used the new JBL DSC 1000???

If so - i would be very grateful to receive your reviews of the system and also whether the DVD player can be made codefree/multiregion?

Many thanks and kind regards
Charan

Hi,

I have been using the Jbl Dsc 1000 for a few months now.

Cd playback is good once you set the subwoofer level correctly (for prologicII: 5 small increments above half level at the back of the sub for my 12 by 12 room). Dolby Digital sounds excellent. Video playback is great. Treble is sweet as compared to Sony and Panasonic all in ones. Distortion is minimal when new but after the break-in is audible near half volume and above. Midrange is tight and the bass is sufficient for my small room (100watt powered sub).

I am no audiophile and am comparing the Dsc 1000 to Panasonic, JVC and Sony systems. I haven't played DVD-A on it yet. CD playback sounds similar to a Yamaha system of one of my friends. It sounds best around 25%-40% volume. The sound is never harsh on good recordings. The remote, however has white print on grey background making it difficult to read.

The s/n ratio is only 80, but it sounds much better than the JVCs (S/N 96) and Sony systems I had before. It does not have dvi or hdmi inputs/outputs but it claims to do PAL progressive through component out. The picture can be fine-tuned through the controls and test screen but there is no auto-color option (available on high-end players). The colors are vivid and shadows have good detail (10bit/27Mhz dacs).

On some old cd recordings the sub lacks detail, but dolby digital is always spot on. MP3 and WMA playback is only 2-channel, prologicII works for cd, slightly improving the sound. The speakers can be set to the nearest foot (delay).

I haven't listened to the Onkyo all in ones yet and maybe you would like to compare it to them. I personally like the sound of JBL, Infiniti and Yamaha speakers.

I haven't dicsovered a way to make it multi-region.

I would give this Jbl 9.5/10 - Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Regarding the video mode, what is the difference between movie mode and film mode? :lease:

Dolphin said:
Regarding the video mode, what is the difference between movie mode and film mode? :lease:

Okay, I tested Shrek and Toy Story 2 with both and could not find any difference in picture quality, smoothness or anything else for that matter between the two modes. This is through the S-Video connection.

I have left the video mode on AUTO now and I see a video camera icon on the top right corner of the screen for a few seconds when Shrek starts.

I searched the forums for "movie mode" and got 500 hits, after skimming through many threads i realized most people don't know what the difference is. One person said that the mode does not affect pq.

The jbl DSC 1000 is of no help either regarding this matter.

I think I will have to make do with the AUTO option until someone is kind enough to explain what this is about.

Any help/links appreciated. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom