JBL Control 25T help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by snakeybeaver, Mar 26, 2006.

1. snakeybeaver

snakeybeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good day to you all.
    I was thinking about upgrading my big old speakers as the wife is just not happy with all the suff so i stared to look at small bookshelf speakers and then a friend of mine has given me 8 JBL control 25t pro speakers which are as new out of his pub as its going to be a tesco !
    Anyway i want to use 5 of these in my home cinem but i understand they are a 100V line speker which i dont really understand a lot about.
    On the back i can set them to 3w,7.5w,15w,30w or thru,if i use thre thru setting they are at their loudest,so what i would like to know does the thru setting just miss out the transformer in the speaker ??
    Or should i take them apart and just bypass the transformer ?
    I have read they do a Control 25 without the transformer and it get good reviews.
    The one i have connected sounds great for such a small speaker,i just dont want to damage my amp,so before i connect the other 4 would like to know if it will be ok on a normal amp and not a 100v one.
    Many Thanks
    Robert

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I think the outside two connections (ie. common and thru) are still using the transformer, but at a 1:1 ratio, ie. you are driving the speakers properly just through a transformer - if this sounds ok keep using it :)