Question JBL Control 1 Pro and NAD D3020 V2: Good combination?

nando666

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I recently moved and wanted to start building an entry level system. The idea is to get a 2.0 for a normal-sized linving room, and maybe get a subwoofer in the future. So far I thought about a pair of JBL Control 1 Pro, which seem to be a bargain and have been around for decades, connected to a NAD D3020 V2.

Why? Mainly because I think I don't need huge speakers in the living room, and the NAD seems to be a good amplifier for small and medium systems, plus includes digital features, bluetooth and a mm phono where I can connect my turntable.

What do you guys think of the pairing? Any pros and cons? All tips are welcome, including hints on where to get the NAD in Europe.

Thanks!

Are you going to be using this for concentrated listening, or to provide background to other activities? Also, what styles of music do you listen to?

Are you going to be using this for concentrated listening, or to provide background to other activities? Also, what styles of music do you listen to?

Concentrated listening and other activities I guess. Listening to mostly rock, prog rock, metal but also some electronic music.

Concentrated listening and other activities I guess. Listening to mostly rock, prog rock, metal but also some electronic music.

The NAD is a sound choice, but I'd suggest you look at alternative speakers. The Control Ones are smaller than small and intended primarily as an entry-level passive monitor in recording set-ups. They're no more than OK in that application and not up to much at all used for listening. You're going to find them pretty thin sounding for your musical tastes.

If you are determined to stick with reasonably small and very affordable, I'd recommend the Monitor Audio Monitor 50. They're neat square boxes with good quality drive units, and they're very enjoyable across a wide range of material. They should pair well with the NAD amp as well and will comfortably outclass the JBLs.

The NAD is a sound choice, but I'd suggest you look at alternative speakers. The Control Ones are smaller than small and intended primarily as an entry-level passive monitor in recording set-ups. They're no more than OK in that application and not up to much at all used for listening. You're going to find them pretty thin sounding for your musical tastes.

If you are determined to stick with reasonably small and very affordable, I'd recommend the Monitor Audio Monitor 50. They're neat square boxes with good quality drive units, and they're very enjoyable across a wide range of material. They should pair well with the NAD amp as well and will comfortably outclass the JBLs.

The Monitor 50 actually look pretty good in every aspect. Thanks for the tip!

I would agree with the above. The Monitor 50 are proper HiFi speakers whereas the the JBL Control ones are for a different kind of use. I have a pair in my home bar... They are great with a subwoofer. The sound is clear and precise. They also go loud. Bass is limited. But although I enjoy the sound, I don't really consider them as HiFi speakers that one would listen to in a discerning way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom