So if it's plugged direct to the 9.1 I can only think:
1. It's not a 4k fire stick. I mention this because I bought the wrong generation of fire tv cube 2nd hand and had to sell it on.
2. Something else in the fire tv settings isn't correct. I'd try one of the threads for streaming devices.
3.You don't have a Top tier netflix account
4. The bar is knackered.
I understand your fustration but you need to start at the source and work your way through it

Hey thanks!

It 100 percent is a 4k. Unless they shipped the wrong model.

I have the middle tier netflix.

I was reading some posts that the "new" 2020 fire stick while only 1080p is the same as the 4k internally yet it's running 7.x firmware while the 4k is running 6.x.... Apparently the new model has better audio capability according to some of the Q&A on the Amazon store

Also some discussion that the 2020 FS can DECODE atmos while the 4k is only able to PASS THROUGH atmos? Maybe that's due to the newer firmware?

Could that be the issue? Can the 9.1 decode atmos, or must it be fed a decoded signal?

Lastly, I never upgraded the bar's firmware by connecting it to wifi or ethernet (can't remember if it has a cat5 port). Reason being that some complaints were registered here after updating. Decided to steer clear until the next release and see how it fares. Could that be an issue? I can't find a change log for the updates

Last edited:
I’m using a fire stick 4k and I’ve only ever seen it say dd+ too (and pcm)

It sounds pretty good so it’s not bothered me too much. My bar also plugged into a 1080p projector like I think yours is?

i think I read the fire stick won’t do atmos if it detects a 1080p display but I might be wrong.

My try an Apple TV and see what that throws up

I've never seen DD+ , only Dolby Surround - scrolling spelled out

Only with Netflix and FireTV cube you can get Atmos soundtrack out of the box.
To get Atmos with FireTV stick you need to install an external player, e.g. Kodi.

I looked at your kodi reference. I doubt it expands the streaming capability of a device. Seems like a vector for all kinds of mischief and trouble, so staying clear of that, but thanks

I've never seen DD+ , only Dolby Surround - scrolling spelled out
Your 4k stick only supports DD as far as I can see on netflix. In any case not sure mid tier supports higher than DD. I think you need top tier For that. See link below
Select Netflix features

But I'm not using arc to send audio signals. I have my sources going into the 9.1 hdmi input. The only thing arc is doing in my set up is sending an on, off signal to the bar when the tv turns on or of
Yes I know that, I was trying to explain the preconception that PCM is a bad choice. It's because legacy ARC or TOSLINK etc could only carry 2 channels i.e. stereo or front left and right. The surround channels would be stripped. You don't have that limitation, so PCM might work for you. Give it a try and see, nothing to lose, it might not be your destination but might shed some light on the matter.

Yes I know that, I was trying to explain the preconception that PCM is a bad choice. It's because legacy ARC or TOSLINK etc could only carry 2 channels i.e. stereo or front left and right. The surround channels would be stripped. You don't have that limitation, so PCM might work for you. Give it a try and see, nothing to lose, it might not be your destination but might shed some light on the matter.

Got it - thanks!!

I asked JBL about this and did not receive a conclusive answer. They have suggested that I do not connect any sources to the bar directly, and rather use the TV ARC for sending sound to the bar. I currently have chromecast TV connected to the bar directly and TV arc for the sound from TV.
There were a couple of posts in this forum about this issue, so my conclusion was that its a characteristic rather than a problem.
I have switched all sources to play the bitstream and as such have not seen this problem after doing this.

Is there a remote control to display the current audio format being played? I know it pops up initially but that goes away after a couple of seconds.

I asked JBL about this and did not receive a conclusive answer. They have suggested that I do not connect any sources to the bar directly, and rather use the TV ARC for sending sound to the bar. I currently have chromecast TV connected to the bar directly and TV arc for the sound from TV.
There were a couple of posts in this forum about this issue, so my conclusion was that its a characteristic rather than a problem.
I have switched all sources to play the bitstream and as such have not seen this problem after doing this.
Thats not really an answer from JBL advising not to us one of the functions designed into the bar...
I actually now have all sources plugged into the TV and the TV connected via ARC and still get the occasional click...

Thats not really an answer from JBL advising not to us one of the functions designed into the bar...
I actually now have all sources plugged into the TV and the TV connected via ARC and still get the occasional click...

Are you guys talking about ARC or eARC? I thought the old ARC isn't capable of passing DD+

Via ARC, my TV is a Sony KD55XH8196 so dont think it has EARC but get Dolby Atmos DD+ on the soundbar from the onboard Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV apps.

Via ARC, my TV is a Sony KD55XH8196 so dont think it has EARC but get Dolby Atmos DD+ on the soundbar from the onboard Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV apps.

I wonder if it would pass through if you were feeding an external source like a fire stick?

I have an 8 year old plasma with ARC. I'm pretty sure it only acts to pass on-off signal so the bar turns off with the TVs power button

I get Atmos DD+ on the soundbar using the onboard TV apps, and also if using a Fire Cube plugged into the TV. I also have tried the fire cube plugged directly into the sound bar and still got Dolby Vision on the TV and Atmos on the soundbar.

The only exception to the was when I had my previous 1080p TV with the fire cube plugged directly into the sound bar. The fire cube recognised that the TV was not 4K so would no give me UHD versions of shows from Amazon Prime or Apple TV, but still got Atmos from Netflix.

I am about to sell the Fire Cube on as it doesn’t seem to give me any more than using the inbuilt apps on my new TV.

I thought the old ARC isn't capable of passing DD+
It is - since it was introduced in HDMI 1.4 (maybe b I can’t remember....).

ATMOs can be added metadata to DD+ or 7.1. ARC can do ATMOS added to DD+ and eARC can do ATMOS added to 7.1

I have an 8 year old plasma with ARC. I'm pretty sure it only acts to pass on-off signal so the bar turns off with the TVs power button

ARC normally needs HDMI-CEC to be switched on but HDMI-CEC is where power control of connected equipment lies. Sometimes HDMI-CEC settings allow you turn the various features of CEC on and off separately but ARC (or eARC) is only the audio return channel function or feature.

It is - since it was introduced in HDMI 1.4 (maybe b I can’t remember....).

ATMOs can be added metadata to DD+ or 7.1. ARC can do ATMOS added to DD+ and eARC can do ATMOS added to 7.1

ARC normally needs HDMI-CEC to be switched on but HDMI-CEC is where power control of connected equipment lies. Sometimes HDMI-CEC settings allow you turn the various features of CEC on and off separately but ARC (or eARC) is only the audio return channel function or feature.

I'm a little confused. The bar's quick set up guide shows the source device plugging into tthe HDMI INPUT on the bar itself for ARC enabled TVs. For eARC TVs, it says to plug the source device into the TV itself. These instructions make me think plain old ARC can't return the audio signal to the bar properly.

Not trying to argue but the manual is pretty clear. Is it wrong?

For the ones looking for answers why many of us are getting sound drops (ONLY) when reproducing Dolby Atmos Multichannel PCM, with the source connected directly to the bar or not (Apple TV, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon etc.)...
Maybe this is part of the answer - not only blaming the bar or your TV:

Not trying to argue but the manual is pretty clear. Is it wrong?
I don’t think the manual is wrong - it isn’t really telling you what your TV with ARC can or can’t do.

If you want ATMOS as a lot of people think of it (lossless) you must plug into the soundbar direct, or via a TV with an eARC audio return channel.

The manual ensures the maker doesn’t get a million complaints and thousands of returns from people who can’t get lossless ATMOS via ARC. Or only get lossy ATMOS in DD+ - which is what will happen via ARC.

ARC is most certainly capable of passing DD+ with ATMOS metadata added giving (lossy) ATMOS. The soundbar maker is proud of the fact their soundbar can deliver full fat ATMOS so they will tell you how to get that experience :)

I don’t think the manual is wrong - it isn’t really telling you what your TV with ARC can or can’t do.

If you want ATMOS as a lot of people think of it (lossless) you must plug into the soundbar direct, or via a TV with an eARC audio return channel.

The manual ensures the maker doesn’t get a million complaints and thousands of returns from people who can’t get lossless ATMOS via ARC. Or only get lossy ATMOS in DD+ - which is what will happen via ARC.

ARC is most certainly capable of passing DD+ with ATMOS metadata added giving (lossy) ATMOS. The soundbar maker is proud of the fact their soundbar can deliver full fat ATMOS so they will tell you how to get that experience :)
That is Perfect!
I’d only add that: if you are not pluging a BluRay Player (I do not have Roku, so I cannot affirm anything about it) i.e. you are only reproducing ATMOS from TV’s Apps or Apple TV (Apple 4K Dolby Atmos MAT that is going to be shown as loseless Dolby ATMOS Multichannel PCM, but unfortunately it is a Dolby Atmos DD+ recoded to Apple ATMOS “lossless”), it has no difference. Streaming services cannot output lossless ATMOS.
You will get same Dolby Atmos DD+ (Disguised as ATMOS Multichannel PCM) from eARC you’d get from ARC.

Brilliant - thank you!

Streaming services cannot output lossless ATMOS.
I suppose strictly speaking they could - 192kHz, 24 bit, 8 channel lossless audio needs around 33mbps and 12 channel around 55mbps. That’s before you add 4K video which needs say 25mbps. So lossless ATMOS and 4K from an app will need at least 80mbps per stream. The world and their internet connections aren’t ready for that I would suggest :)

downloading and playing offline over HDMI could work of course. Streaming though is a bridge too far for the infrastructure available to the vast majority of consumers. The streaming app providers wouldn’t be able to cope with the complaints about how their app won’t deliver the promised 4K and lossless ATMOS film. The fact the customer has a 25/10 internet connection that only works at full speed in off peak hours where they live, wouldn’t prevent said customers complaining....... it happens now with far lesser bandwidth requirements.......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom