Tried to test, but I don't have a PC with Dolby Access s/w (does it cost?).
I can play Chameleon.m2ts using Infuse on my Apple TV with the file on a shared library, but the bar just displays PCM. It does sound good though, but why I just see PCM is confusing.

Playing a Dolby Atmos Netflix show displays "Dolby Atmos Multichannel PCM"on the bar this is obviously lossy Atmos (Source DD+) so no help as same as you are seeing when playing lossless audio (hopefully?)

My BR will display DTS-HD MA {:Neural X} which IS lossless, but I don't have a UHD player/disc so can't test for Atmos.

Edit> I tried a Dolby Atmos show on the C9 internal app. It shows Dolby Atmos DD+ when playing.

So I think "Dolby Atmos Multichannel PCM" does mean you are getting lossless Atmos. Essentially my Apple TV is sending lossless audio to the bar, even though the original source was lossy DD+ from Netflix
Apple TV encode Netflix or any other app (Itunes/Apple+, Disney+, Amazon) and output Dolby Atmos MAT, lossless (but with a possible DD+ input) as you said.
The question is: My Samsung Q80t cannot process ATMOS, so it pass passthrough Netflix and Amazon streaming directly to the bar from tv’s Apps. An I GET Atmos Multichannel PCM anyways! I suspect Netflix and Amazon ARE streaming Atmos PCM, because TV’s new firmware fixed LPCM passthrough.

The question is: My Samsung Q80t cannot process ATMOS, so it pass passthrough Netflix and Amazon streaming directly to the bar from tv’s Apps. An I GET Atmos Multichannel PCM anyways! I suspect Netflix and Amazon ARE streaming Atmos PCM, because TV’s new firmware fixed LPCM passthrough.
I only know (from a great avs eARC thread) how the LG TV's work. In this case the Internal path for TV apps is limited to ARC and ARC is limited to 2ch uncompressed PCM which I don't think would display as Multichannel. HDMI passthrough from an external device/Streamer has access to either ARC or eARC depending on your soundbar/AVR's abilities. Obviously Samsung might have a completely different approach. I've read many times that all UK streaming services send audio over DD+. To send uncompressed audio over the internet requires enormous bandwidth. You may have set your TV to convert to PCM?

I only know (from a great avs eARC thread) how the LG TV's work. In this case the Internal path for TV apps is limited to ARC and ARC is limited to 2ch uncompressed PCM which I don't think would display as Multichannel. HDMI passthrough from an external device/Streamer has access to either ARC or eARC depending on your soundbar/AVR's abilities. Obviously Samsung might have a completely different approach. I've read many times that all UK streaming services send audio over DD+. To send uncompressed audio over the internet requires enormous bandwidth. You may have set your TV to convert to PCM?
I set TV to passthrough - that’s why it is interesting I am getting same ATMOS Multichannel PCM from TV’s apps that I have from Apple TV’s apps. Apple TV recode streaming audio (probably DD+) into ATMOS MAT and output ATMOS Multichannel PCM. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Few weeks ago, before TV’s firmware fixing LPCM passthrough I could only get the expected ATMOS DD+ from TV’s apps... now the lossless ATMOS Multichannel PCM 🤔

edited: Just got the info from HDMI Audio Output into TV’s Menu that you can output PCM or AUTO on 2020 Samsung TV’s, from internal Apps (Passthrough only available from external sources). 2019 TV’s can output PCM or Bitstream. The latter option always pass to receiver/soundbar the job of decoding signs. My set is AUTO. So, TV IS processing Audio, but the bar is reading the output as ATMOS Multichannel PCM, not ATMOS DD+, even with TV not able to decode/recode ATMO itself!

Last edited:
Still really like my JBL bar but still have the annoying issue with xbox series x (had the same issue with Xbox One X too) whereby if you set the xbox to dolby atmos, when you come out of HDR games you often totally lose sound on the JBL, only way to get it back is to press the HDMI button on the remote then press TV again, it's really annoying.

Paired mine with an LG CX, which has had numerous firmware updates, not sure what the root cause is but wish this issue was sorted then I'd be 100% happy with the JBL!

Any suggestions why I NEVER see anything displayed other than Dolby Surround from the Fire Stick 4k connected to the HDMI input on the bar???

edited: Just got the info from HDMI Audio Output into TV’s Menu that you can output PCM or AUTO on 2020 Samsung TV’s, from internal Apps (Passthrough only available from external sources). 2019 TV’s can output PCM or Bitstream. The latter option always pass to receiver/soundbar the job of decoding signs. My set is AUTO. So, TV IS processing Audio, but the bar is reading the output as ATMOS Multichannel PCM, not ATMOS DD+, even with TV not able to decode/recode ATMO itself!
Yes that seems right. The signal into the TV internal Apps is audio over DD+. The TV is decoding the DD+ stream to PCM. This is then sent to the bar, which sees it correctly as multi-channel PCM. The bar is apparently getting lossless audio, but really its just lossless between TV and bar. Same scenario as external Apple TV to bar using Dolby MAT. The original (Netflix) program is still sending lossless audio.

Still really like my JBL bar but still have the annoying issue with xbox series x (had the same issue with Xbox One X too) whereby if you set the xbox to dolby atmos, when you come out of HDR games you often totally lose sound on the JBL, only way to get it back is to press the HDMI button on the remote then press TV again, it's really annoying.

Paired mine with an LG CX, which has had numerous firmware updates, not sure what the root cause is but wish this issue was sorted then I'd be 100% happy with the JBL!

Have similar problems connected via a Sony X90H TV if Atmos is selected in the Xbox Series X sound options.
The Xbox and JBL are connected to the HDMI 2.1 ports on the TV, the JBL port is also the Earc port.
It seems different combinations of TV's and soundbars are having problems with HDMI2.1/Earc. If I set the Xbox to Dobly Digital evrything is fine.
Also the 4K fire TV stick and Panasonic4K Bluray player that are plugged into the two non HDMI 2.1 ports on the TV don't seem to suffer the same problems.

You need to post some details. TV? settings? etc.

It's a 60 inch panasonic plasma dating back to 2012. It has ARC. I don't think the settings really matter as the sources are going directly into the bar with a 4k HDMI cable. The bar then sends the video to the screen.

It's a 60 inch panasonic plasma dating back to 2012. It has ARC. I don't think the settings really matter as the sources are going directly into the bar with a 4k HDMI cable. The bar then sends the video to the screen.
Agreed, I hadn't realised you had the stick direct into the bar. I've never used a firestick, but it appears to have a few audio settings. Have you tried Audio set to "Best Available", that might send PCM to the JBL and you would see MultiChannel in? From a quick google, the Netflix App on the firestick doesn't appear to support Amos even though the device is capable and there's next to no Atmos content on Prime. Other option would be to try the firestick in a TV port and see what you get?

Have similar problems connected via a Sony X90H TV if Atmos is selected in the Xbox Series X sound options.
The Xbox and JBL are connected to the HDMI 2.1 ports on the TV, the JBL port is also the Earc port.
It seems different combinations of TV's and soundbars are having problems with HDMI2.1/Earc. If I set the Xbox to Dobly Digital evrything is fine.
Also the 4K fire TV stick and Panasonic4K Bluray player that are plugged into the two non HDMI 2.1 ports on the TV don't seem to suffer the same problems.

Glad it's not just me mate, I also have it set to dolby digital without any issues. I just hope it gets fixed down the line, eARC was meant to make things easier but tbh I'm not convinced it's much better than arc in many ways!

Glad it's not just me mate, I also have it set to dolby digital without any issues. I just hope it gets fixed down the line, eARC was meant to make things easier but tbh I'm not convinced it's much better than arc in many ways!

It's definitely not just you mate, Earc seems to be broken on multiple devices. I'm not technical but wonder if the problem is intertwined with HDMI 2.1. As I said i have no problem playing 4K Blurays with Dolby Vision and TRUE ATMOS HD through the HDMI 2.0 port on the TV.
Also hope it can be fixed quickly.

Ok confession time. Put the speakers back on and discovered.....I had them on at the wrong ends previously:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
All good now and will calibrate in the morning.
Sound is good so far. Very clear and nice bass

Hi,

Have the same issue as you but in my case both rear speakers are on the correct side of soundbar.
Moreover this DOCK/TURN ON SPKR message comes with rear speakers connected to the bar and as they are separated from it.
Funny thing is that all of them are still playing and the connection between all of them is OK.

Do you have any ideas what can be wrong?

Press the power button once on the rears, sometimes I think it gets confused mine does it on occasion.

Same issue by me... Tech Support didn't even tried to help and they wrote me that i can easily give back my bar and ask for replacement...

Did you managed to fix it somehow ??

Same issue by me... Tech Support didn't even tried to help and they wrote me that i can easily give back my bar and ask for replacement...

Did you managed to fix it somehow ??
The few times the rears did not connect after pressing ON button I did attach them to the bar again, turned OFF the system and ON again. Then I could detach them and put them in the wall. Not frequent as I said.

Agreed, I hadn't realised you had the stick direct into the bar. I've never used a firestick, but it appears to have a few audio settings. Have you tried Audio set to "Best Available", that might send PCM to the JBL and you would see MultiChannel in? From a quick google, the Netflix App on the firestick doesn't appear to support Amos even though the device is capable and there's next to no Atmos content on Prime. Other option would be to try the firestick in a TV port and see what you get?

Thanks for the reply. I can try different settings on the FS.... Going straight to the tv won't help. Other people report seeing DD+ displayed on the bar. I've not seen that ever. Not once. I have a prime and Netflix on it.... Would be nice to get it figured out.

With PCM, I thought that was the lowest of all the signals? Stereo via optical is always described as pcm. It sounds like I'm missing something?

Hi,

Have the same issue as you but in my case both rear speakers are on the correct side of soundbar.
Moreover this DOCK/TURN ON SPKR message comes with rear speakers connected to the bar and as they are separated from it.
Funny thing is that all of them are still playing and the connection between all of them is OK.

Do you have any ideas what can be wrong?
Thanks for reminding me of one of my finer moments 🙊
Is it a charging issue? I haven't had this message since I first got the bar. However I rarely detach the speakers these days as it is mostly DD and DD+ that I'm viewing. Not to much Atmos content I can watch other than sky football and my 4k discs. Even though I rarely have them detached the sound quality is stonking for what I paid for it. A real step from my last bar.

Thanks for the reply. I can try different settings on the FS.... Going straight to the tv won't help. Other people report seeing DD+ displayed on the bar. I've not seen that ever. Not once. I have a prime and Netflix on it.... Would be nice to get it figured out.

With PCM, I thought that was the lowest of all the signals? Stereo via optical is always described as pcm. It sounds like I'm missing something?
PCM is decoded audio, it's what finally gets sent to a speaker. However it takes lot of bandwidth and ARC can only carry 2 channel stereo because of that. I would try PCM, see what gets displayed on the bar, also turn off the bars Smart mode and see if you get sound from the rear speakers

I only get DD+ via Disney app via Sky. All other content for Netflix and Amazon prime apps through the pannny 902 is DD. I have the 4k subscription for Netflix. I probably need to buy a fire TV cube to uplift the sound to Atmos but tbh I have that many other sources and remotes there is too much faffing to add another one. I'm just going to wait until I upgrade the TV to get earc which might be next year.

Edit just tried Netflix via sky and got DD+ on that. Might need to change viewing from panny app to sky but I think sky doesn't do proper 4k

Last edited:
I only get DD+ via Disney app via Sky. All other content for Netflix and Amazon prime apps through the pannny 902 is DD. I have the 4k subscription for Netflix. I probably need to buy a fire TV cube to uplift the sound to Atmos but tbh I have that many other sources and remotes there is too much faffing to add another one. I'm just going to wait until I upgrade the TV to get earc which might be next year.

Edit just tried Netflix via sky and got DD+ on that. Might need to change viewing from panny app to sky but I think sky doesn't do proper 4k
Only with Netflix and FireTV cube you can get Atmos soundtrack out of the box.
To get Atmos with FireTV stick you need to install an external player, e.g. Kodi.

PCM is decoded audio, it's what finally gets sent to a speaker. However it takes lot of bandwidth and ARC can only carry 2 channel stereo because of that. I would try PCM, see what gets displayed on the bar, also turn off the bars Smart mode and see if you get sound from the rear speakers

But I'm not using arc to send audio signals. I have my sources going into the 9.1 hdmi input. The only thing arc is doing in my set up is sending an on, off signal to the bar when the tv turns on or off.

The tivo audio can toggle between bitstream and DD.

The fire stick 4k offers a few choices best available, DD, and DD+
My issue is that unlike others, my bar has never once said anything other than Dolby Surround. That's the only thing it's ever displayed

But I'm not using arc to send audio signals. I have my sources going into the 9.1 hdmi input. The only thing arc is doing in my set up is sending an on, off signal to the bar when the tv turns on or off.

The tivo audio can toggle between bitstream and DD.

The fire stick 4k offers a few choices best available, DD, and DD+
My issue is that unlike others, my bar has never once said anything other than Dolby Surround. That's the only thing it's ever displayed
So if it's plugged direct to the 9.1 I can only think:
1. It's not a 4k fire stick. I mention this because I bought the wrong generation of fire tv cube 2nd hand and had to sell it on.
2. Something else in the fire tv settings isn't correct. I'd try one of the threads for streaming devices.
3.You don't have a Top tier netflix account
4. The bar is knackered.
I understand your fustration but you need to start at the source and work your way through it

I’m using a fire stick 4k and I’ve only ever seen it say dd+ too (and pcm)

It sounds pretty good so it’s not bothered me too much. My bar also plugged into a 1080p projector like I think yours is?

i think I read the fire stick won’t do atmos if it detects a 1080p display but I might be wrong.

My try an Apple TV and see what that throws up

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom