Guys, my JBL lost wifi connection. Manual says that to setup wifi I need to turn it on and then hold power button for a few seconds until reset wifi will be displayed... But holding the button just turns off the soundbar. What amI doing wrong?
Do you have ethernet connected too? If so disconnect and try again.

Does anyone get a hiss/static/interference type noise from the rears?

Most prominent is when I'm moving through the menu's on Apple TV.

At first I didn't notice it, but now I can't unhear it. It's not prominent when there's constant sound, but I can really hear it with short, isolated sounds.

Have done a factory reset, re-calibrated and tried different HDMI cables, but its still very much there.

Worried I may have a defective unit - if anyone has an Apple TV 4K, could they check the rears while going through the menu and let me know if they get it as well.
Well I'd never noticed it before, but yes there is a background hiss when you change thro ATV menus. I had to hold the speaker to my ear to really hear it (vol = 11), just a fraction of a second each time you scroll through a setting.

is there anyone who is happy owning this soundbar? I mean this thread is full of probelms and complaints.. been intrigued by idea having full atmos soundbar with detachable rear speakers, but really dont want, for that price solve disconnect issues / strange behaviour etc.. And I really need
- need room calibrations, as my tv is placed near wall form one side and wooden cabinet from another
- want really soundbar with good speech /centralú channel, one of reasons for buying soundbar for me is clarity of voice
- want soundbar that would work flawlessly with next gen consoles over earc
- want soundbar thart works flawlessly with streaming apps within my lg c9

So any chance, this will be possible with jbl 9.1?

This soundbar is amazing and I am very happy with it. The happy ones don't tend to post on forums as there's nothing to say.

This soundbar is amazing and I am very happy with it. The happy ones don't tend to post on forums as there's nothing to say.

This, very happy with mine. Most if not all soundbars have issues, nothing is perfect unfortunately!

Would factory resetting and recalibration sort out the firmware update issue related to lowering dialogue volume ? Will it sound great again like out from the box ?

is there anyone who is happy owning this soundbar? I mean this thread is full of probelms and complaints.. been intrigued by idea having full atmos soundbar with detachable rear speakers, but really dont want, for that price solve disconnect issues / strange behaviour etc.. And I really need
- need room calibrations, as my tv is placed near wall form one side and wooden cabinet from another
- want really soundbar with good speech /centralú channel, one of reasons for buying soundbar for me is clarity of voice

I am happy with mine. Yes there are a few problems every so often but I think that would be the same with any piece of a/v equipment.

Guys, my JBL lost wifi connection. Manual says that to setup wifi I need to turn it on and then hold power button for a few seconds until reset wifi will be displayed... But holding the button just turns off the soundbar. What amI doing wrong?
I don’t have the Soundbar but that could mean start with Soundbar off. Press power button and hold - don’t let go and press again (which logically would turn it off)?

I love mine. Works great with my LG CX. No complaints.

Hey guys, I decided to connect the bar to wifi only to update when I'm sure it won't mess up the bar but now, I can't check the firmware in Google home.

Didn't find it on JBL site, do you know where I can find the current latest firmware (and the related details ideally)?
Thanks !

btw, I agree it is an awesome bar!!

is there anyone who is happy owning this soundbar? I mean this thread is full of probelms and complaints.. been intrigued by idea having full atmos soundbar with detachable rear speakers, but really dont want, for that price solve disconnect issues / strange behaviour etc.

I'm overall happy with mine. There are a few little foibles and frustrations I have with the system but nothing to make me consider getting rid of it. While My biggest frustration is the lack of being able to fine tune things to my preferences having come from a Sony system which in comparison allowed me to tweak things a fair bit.

I've not had any strange behaviour with mine to be honest save for a couple of times where it's been on but no sound has come out which has been remedied by turning it off at the plug for a few seconds which while I could be wrong seems to have coincided with a firmware update but no issues afterwards.

I've had a few dropouts with the sounds while using a PS4 but looking online it was a combination of the settings on my TV and some issues with the launch model of the PS4. I changed a couple of settings on them both and it's been ok since. No dropouts on anything else. But to be fair that was an issue with various soundbars and models of Sony TV rather than any issue with just the JBL bar itself. *touch wood*

You mentioned you're looking for clear dialogue from a soundbar also. I am happy with the clarity of the dialogue 100% but as a little caveat I do sometimes find background music a little overbearing compared to the dialogue in some instances and wish I could tweak things. But again this is probably just my personal preference.

With regards to next gen consoles working over earc you might have to wait until they are out before you can get a definitive answer. My TV only has an arc port but my Nintendo switch works perfectly via arc as does my sky box. My PS4 is connected directly to the soundbar. While I can't be sure I don't imagine there would be much if any difference between this generation and the next one of consoles in the way they work with the soundbar.

If you're not sure you might be best off seeing if you can test one somewhere before you drop cash on it. But honestly at the price point and the convenience of the detachable speakers you will be hard pressed to find better.

Thats quite a long post so apologies if I've rambled a bit but I hope it's of some use.

Last edited:
thank you mate, this is very valuable feedback and insight, really appreciate it... now got to decite, this jbl monster, sonos arc (without sub, actually my first choice but as sonos is unable to deliver black units to our market, i am leaning towards alternatives) or save some money and buy some mediocre samsung (800t)... anything is gonna be huge upgrade over internal tv speakers:)

Does anyone get a hiss/static/interference type noise from the rears?

Most prominent is when I'm moving through the menu's on Apple TV.

At first I didn't notice it, but now I can't unhear it. It's not prominent when there's constant sound, but I can really hear it with short, isolated sounds.

Have done a factory reset, re-calibrated and tried different HDMI cables, but its still very much there.

Worried I may have a defective unit - if anyone has an Apple TV 4K, could they check the rears while going through the menu and let me know if they get it as well.
I get that sound too, mainly in menus when no sound is playing or when something is paused. As soon as I hit play the noise goes away.

I love it, it sounds amazing. I just bought an LG CX also and that looks incredible but I keep finding myself being even more amazed by the Atmos and DTS:X sound, it’s really something. I do have some nitpicks about it but for $1000 you really can’t beat it.

I love it, it sounds amazing. I just bought an LG CX also and that looks incredible but I keep finding myself being even more amazed by the Atmos and DTS:X sound, it’s really something. I do have some nitpicks about it but for $1000 you really can’t beat it.
Hey there!

I bought the JBL 9.1 and had it for a week now! Im really liking it, despite its minor flaws

As you, I would like to get a 55 inch CX OLED.....are you being able to get ATMOS through eARC?

I mean..if I connect lets say my xbox to the CX and the JBL 9.1 with eARC to the CX....will ATMOS work?

Regarding the CX and JBL too....the CX doesnt have DTS decoding, right? So.....I think the only way the JBL 9.1 will be able to play DTS or DTS:X will be if the device is connect directly to its HDMI input instead of using the eARC input?

Hey there!

I bought the JBL 9.1 and had it for a week now! Im really liking it, despite its minor flaws

As you, I would like to get a 55 inch CX OLED.....are you being able to get ATMOS through eARC?

I mean..if I connect lets say my xbox to the CX and the JBL 9.1 with eARC to the CX....will ATMOS work?

Regarding the CX and JBL too....the CX doesnt have DTS decoding, right? So.....I think the only way the JBL 9.1 will be able to play DTS or DTS:X will be if the device is connect directly to its HDMI input instead of using the eARC input?
I have had no problems passing Atmos on Xbox, Fire Cube, or the internal apps. You are correct about the DTS. I have my PS4 connected directly to the bar for DTS discs and will be connecting PS5 to it next.

So I’ve been leaving my rear speakers wired and haven’t run into any issues with that until today, when the bar told me “arge speaker low battery”. I don’t know what arge means but it must have meant one of the rears. So I had to unplug them and plug them back in for them to light up red. Why did I need to do this?

So I’ve been leaving my rear speakers wired and haven’t run into any issues with that until today, when the bar told me “arge speaker low battery”. I don’t know what arge means but it must have meant one of the rears. So I had to unplug them and plug them back in for them to light up red. Why did I need to do this?
Now after half an hour I notice the red lights are off again. So I unplugged them and plugged back in and the lights came on and after about 2 minutes the red lights turned off again.

edit: just tried a different charger and they turned off after 30 seconds.

maybe 2 more questions to owners:
- does callibration do a thing? does it really make sounds better with respect to room and location? read reviews of lg top tier soundbar and calibration did nothing... so, how is jbl calibration?
- sound/dialogues on low volumes - usually watch TV when toddlers sleep at night, need some good sound and speech on lower volumes, would jbl 9.1 work for me?

thanks

- does callibration do a thing? does it really make sounds better with respect to room and location? read reviews of lg top tier soundbar and calibration did nothing... so, how is jbl calibration?
- sound/dialogues on low volumes - usually watch TV when toddlers sleep at night, need some good sound and speech on lower volumes, would jbl 9.1 work for me?

thanks

Calibration made a lot of difference when I used it. Before then while it sounded ok the dialogue was a bit muddy sounding but the calibration made a significant improvement on mine.

With the sound there is a night mode but I'm yet to use it, no issue with clarity at low volumes or anything just as I've mentioned before background music can at times be a bit to prominent for my liking and I wish I could tweak it a bit.

thanks
I find dialogue to be quite clear at night.

Hello all,
I really want to love the JBL 9.1. Received it last week and went through the frustration of calibration issues. Failed many times, only successful twice. Was able to watch some atmos content on Apple TV app... brilliant. However, next morning after switching back on again, the centre channel sound all muddled again and cannot hear vocals. Been very thankful to be able to read this forum but am struggling at the minute. This evening, tried to recalibrate but unsuccessful.
I have an LG CX 55 with earc on and pass through selected. Tried many combinations, but now questioning my methods? I have reset multiple times etc.
Any advice?

Can anyone please tell me what the latest firmware is? Mine indicates System firmware is 20371180.
Does anyone have a later version?

Much appreciated.

Is this while you are using night mode or just with the volume turned down?
I usually don’t even bother with night mode because it seems clear enough as it is. I just turn the subwoofer down to 1. Night mode doesn’t make it any less clear or anything though, just reduces the dynamic range.

I have had no problems passing Atmos on Xbox, Fire Cube, or the internal apps. You are correct about the DTS. I have my PS4 connected directly to the bar for DTS discs and will be connecting PS5 to it next.

If you want 120hz, VRR etc you won't get it going direct through the JBL as it's not supported.

or you can wait at the end of this month and see if is better this solution : Philips launches Fidelio B95 and B97 soundbars

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom