Normally you would get Dolby Atmos DD+ from streaming signals such as netflix-this is a lossy atmos signal,so Atmos, lite. Dolby Atmos Multi Channel PCM is I believe from Blue ray/4k disks and is a lossless signal so full atmos-do you get two modes with what inputs? Otherwise it is dependent upon what signal output device is sending bitstream or pcm to soundbar-a pcm signal from source would mean device has mixed atmos signal and is sending pcm,if source set to bitstream soundbar would be processing atmos signal
Type 1 is with eARC(off) and the type 2 is when eARC is auto(with passthrough) on the Samsung Netflix app

How about Dolby Atmos TrueHD? I was able to get this displayed on the soundbar when I streamed content thru the NVIDIA Shield Pro. It sounded so good as compared to Netflix Dolby Atmos DD+. I guess Dolby Atmos TrueHD is lossless signal?
The shield streams better audio than TV apps?

The shield streams better audio than TV apps?

Both the Netflix app on my TV and Shield sounded the same.

The Plex app on my LG TV can't handle Dolby Atmos TrueHD well and displayed as Dolby Surround DD+, whereas the Plex app on the Shield was able to play the same content and displayed as Dolby Atmos TrueHD.

The audio quality on the Shield Plex app were awesome compared to the LG Plex app. I didn't know the true meaning of lossy and lossless until now 😂

Does anyone know the specs on the HDMI cable that comes with the JBL 9.1?

It seems to check all boxes to support the different formats, but curious if it's worth upgrading to a higher quality one

It seems to check all boxes to support the different formats, but curious if it's worth upgrading to a higher quality one
It's usually best practice to use the HDMI cable that comes with the soundbar (whatever brand) to connect to the TV.
To connect sources to the bar now, you need good cables like :
Cable Matters (bought 2 of those, they work great)
Amazon product ASIN B081NXV3ZROR
Kabel Direkt
Amazon product ASIN B00DI88YCC
Prefer cables between 6ft and 12ft for better performance.

Weirdly my bar wouldn't work this morning so powered on and off, usually does that when there's been an update but I only had one last week. :eek:

Double post.

Weirdly my bar wouldn't work this morning so powered on and off, usually does that when there's been an update but I only had one last week. :eek:

I had the same thing this afternoon. Mine was on but no sound coming out of it until I turned it off for a few minutes and then turned it back on.

I have had that happen a few times, have to turn off/on at the mains to get it working.
Yesterday I was watching Netflix and when I selected skip intro the show started past the intro but with no sound. I had to turn the bar off and on again to get sound, first time it has cut out while in use, usually it is when it is first turned on it does not want to work.

Anyone else have different battery percentages on their surrounds? My left is dropping 20% more than the right.

How about Dolby Atmos TrueHD? I was able to get this displayed on the soundbar when I streamed content thru the NVIDIA Shield Pro. It sounded so good as compared to Netflix Dolby Atmos DD+. I guess Dolby Atmos TrueHD is lossless signal?
hi there,did you have Atmos truehd displayed on your jbl 9.1 bar or on other soundbar ?sorry but got confused.

if nvidia shield pro will help me to get atoms truehd displayed on my jbl bar i will buy it today but I heard that this bar doesn`t support this dolby truehd codec .Does anyone here is having jbl 9.1 bar and can confirm atmos truehd displayed when watching movies via nvidia shield pro?

Looks like I accidentally posted this in an outdated forum - but in case anyone runs into this uncommon issue - here is what I found.

Can anyone make sense of this: I have a couple old music DVD's (Cornelius 5.1 and Bjork 5.1) which are DTS. When I try to play them through my JBL 9.1 soundbar, the audio is extremely glitchy; literally unlistenable. If I switch to DD 5.1 on the discs they play fine. So question: is it possible that the old coding of DTS on these discs are not being decoded properly by the JBL? I have done the following: swapped the HDMI cable, turned off "DTS Neural X" on the JBL and changed UHD Blu Ray players. (Sony X700 and Panny UB420 respectively). Both players set to bitstream. Tried both discs in upstairs set-up - my Samsung UHD player with the same settings (bitstream) in my Samsung Q950T Atmos Soundbar and played flawlessly. Someone please make sense of this to me. DTS:X and newer DTS MA discs play fine on the JBL (Tested with Halloween reboot UHD Blu Ray; tested with Inception DTS MA )

Update: Changing the blu ray player settings for DTS from Bitstream to PCM solves the issue, but also tells me that the JBL is trying to upmix a bitrate (in this case 96/24 bit) from older DTS encoding that it cannot do or simply does not understand. Fortunately, I only have 3 or 4 discs that have old DTS encoding so it's not that big a deal, but it is strange.

hi there,did you have Atmos truehd displayed on your jbl 9.1 bar or on other soundbar ?sorry but got confused.

[
if nvidia shield pro will help me to get atoms truehd displayed on my jbl bar i will buy it today but I heard that this bar doesn`t support this dolby truehd codec .Does anyone here is having jbl 9.1 bar and can confirm atmos truehd displayed when watching movies via nvidia shield pro?

I downloaded the "Conductor" Dolby Atmos TrueHD demo from Dolby website and played it via the Plex app on the NVIDIA Shield Pro and was able to get the JBL Bar 9.1 to display Dolby Atmos TrueHD.

I recorded this video below and posted to YouTube to proof to you.

Conductor Dolby Atmos TrueHD

Last edited:
You can download a lot of lossless Dolby Atmos demos for testing from Dolby Trailers - ATMOS, Lossless TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1
Hi, thanks for your replay and for a video. Thats great news that dolby atmos truhd is displayed on jbl bar. Can you just tell me what about movies with dolby truhd audio watched via shield pro? Is soundbar showing dolby truhd as well? Please just check and let me know

Hi, thanks for your reply and for a video. Thats great news that dolby atmos truhd is displayed on jbl bar. Can you just tell me what about movies with dolby truhd audio watched via shield pro? Is soundbar showing dolby truhd as well? Please just check and let me know

I just played Hacksaw Ridge (4K TrueHD 7.1) on the Plex app on the NVIDIA Shield Pro and yes, it is showing Dolby Atmos TrueHD on the JBL Bar 9.1 display.

I just played Hacksaw Ridge (4K TrueHD 7.1) on the Plex app on the NVIDIA Shield Pro and yes, it is showing Dolby Atmos TrueHD on the JBL Bar 9.1 display.
Hi, thanks a lot. When I play movies with dolby truehd via usb stick on sony bravia soundbar shows dolby sorround or dts neutral x. Looks like I need to buy nvidia shield pro than.May I just ask where did you buy your nvidia shield pro?

Hi, thanks a lot. When I play movies with dolby truehd via usb stick on sony bravia soundbar shows dolby sorround or dts neutral x. Looks like I need to buy nvidia shield pro than.May I just ask where did you buy your nvidia shield pro?
Are u getting atmos on nvidia shield pro when watching movies on Disney plus? Of course if you have that app. Just checking before ordering one. Thanks

I think your Sony Bravia is not able to decode the TrueHD signal.

You can also buy directly from Nvidia Buy NVIDIA SHIELD Products & Accessories or any online stores that are selling it.

Last edited:
Are u getting atmos on nvidia shield pro when watching movies on Disney plus? Of course if you have that app. Just checking before ordering one. Thanks

Sorry, I don't have Disney Plus because it's not available in my country yet. Hope someone else will be able to answer your question.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom