What TV do you have?
Many t.vs including mine LG C8 show Dolby atmos thru tv app and speakers but not soundbar-only remedy is to use external device such as apple tv which does show Netflix in atmos thru bar .Soundbar appears tom have issues with Netflix app and ARC from t.vs

Sony xbrx900h
Many t.vs including mine LG C8 show Dolby atmos thru tv app and speakers but not soundbar-only remedy is to use external device such as apple tv which does show Netflix in atmos thru bar .Soundbar appears tom have issues with Netflix app and ARC from t.vs

Agreed. Some TV's seem odd. I'm looking forward to the new Google TV dongle thing that's on the horizon.

So good news, I have Atmos working on the soundbar with LG C8 and a 2015 Shield.

:clap:

The trick is to install Netflix on Kodi. My shield is just set to 2.0 (but selected all audio formats the bar is capable of)

Shield to HDMI in
Arc to arc on TV

Added the pictured repo, installed the repo... then installed the Netflix zip then logged in.

Settings as pictured.

Attachments

• 20200802_114222.jpg
    20200802_114222.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 20200802_114414.jpg
    20200802_114414.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 438
  • 15963651840504542508674584700062.jpg
    15963651840504542508674584700062.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 15963653577551965418699241406787.jpg
    15963653577551965418699241406787.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 378
  • 15963654496067236479958914036711.jpg
    15963654496067236479958914036711.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Agreed. Some TV's seem odd. I'm looking forward to the new Google TV dongle thing that's on the horizon.
Thank you everyone. Well the speakers still sound great with the surround I am getting, so only makes me wonder what could have been. One other thing I noticed is while the sub packs a punch during movies, it’s really very subtle when it comes to audio even turning it up to level 5.

Alright quick update.

Yes it’s Dolby digital plus. If I switch to tv speakers Netflix immediately shows Atmos and when I switch to the soundbar just 5.1 Dolby surround. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Checked all the output options😅
Do you have an e-arc connection to the soundbar with the tv? X900h should have port 3 as the designated arc/ e-arc port. You probably also need to enable Pass-through under audio settings.

Do you have an e-arc connection to the soundbar with the tv? X900h should have port 3 as the designated arc/ e-arc port. You probably also need to enable Pass-through under audio settings.
Thanks, tried it already but no change. Dolby surround is all I get.

What are your audio output settings?
A/V sync : Auto
Digital audio out: Auto 1 ( selected- output compressed audio without change) the other 2 options here are (output only compressed audio for multi channel content without change) and PCM
Dolby digital plusoutput: Dolby digital plus (other option Dolby digital)
Pass through mode: Auto ( other option off)

Hmm.......have you tried turning passthrough mode to off?

Hello,
I have a question about JBL BAR 9.1 and Kodi. First, let me point out that I'm using KODI on the 2019 SHIELD with the LG B8. Before that, I had JBL BAR 5.1. SHIELD was connected directly to the TV, and the TV was connected to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. With JBL BAR 9.1 I had to connect SHIELD directly to the soundbar to get ATMOS.
Now the question. Have any of you noticed that the kodi increases the volume by 2-3 degrees when changing the sound source? I.e. when starting a movie with Dolby Surround (there is PCM sound in the menu so there is a switch) or when changing the movie track from DS to Dolby Atmos, etc.
The problem did not occur with JBL BAR 5.1 and it did not occur when SHIELD was connected to the TV. After connecting SHIELD directly to JBL BAR 9.1 the problem started to occur. I tested it with YouTube, Netflix and VLC and determined that the problem was only with KODI. However, I was unable to determine which KODI setting is responsible for this.

Tried, no leads there.

Is there any other firmware versions you could flash?

I'd probably opt for a shield or ao
Hello,
I have a question about JBL BAR 9.1 and Kodi. First, let me point out that I'm using KODI on the 2019 SHIELD with the LG B8. Before that, I had JBL BAR 5.1. SHIELD was connected directly to the TV, and the TV was connected to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. With JBL BAR 9.1 I had to connect SHIELD directly to the soundbar to get ATMOS.
Now the question. Have any of you noticed that the kodi increases the volume by 2-3 degrees when changing the sound source? I.e. when starting a movie with Dolby Surround (there is PCM sound in the menu so there is a switch) or when changing the movie track from DS to Dolby Atmos, etc.
The problem did not occur with JBL BAR 5.1 and it did not occur when SHIELD was connected to the TV. After connecting SHIELD directly to JBL BAR 9.1 the problem started to occur. I tested it with YouTube, Netflix and VLC and determined that the problem was only with KODI. However, I was unable to determine which KODI setting is responsible for this.

Have you checked in the audio settings when playing media?

While playing a video in Kodi, select Audio and subtitle settings > set Audio to around -20db > set Audio Amplification to around +30db

See if that helps (I googled the above, as others had a similar issue which this seemed to fix).

I have mine set up with an LG C9 and I definitely got Atmos in native apps like Netflix when passed audio through, but I've noticed the last few days it's now only 5.1???

I have mine set up with an LG C9 and I definitely got Atmos in native apps like Netflix when passed audio through, but I've noticed the last few days it's now only 5.1???

Make sure the audio settings haven't been switched, they should be on 'passthrough' it's likely been switched to 'auto'

Thank you everyone. Well the speakers still sound great with the surround I am getting, so only makes me wonder what could have been. One other thing I noticed is while the sub packs a punch during movies, it’s really very subtle when it comes to audio even turning it up to level 5.
brand-dark.svg
Turn "smart mode" off for playing music. See initial post in this thread for instructions. Experience (including bass) should improve but implementation is unnecessarily complicated and opaque. Still underwhelmed with music capabilities but movies have exceeded expectations.

Last edited:
Have you checked in the audio settings when playing media?

While playing a video in Kodi, select Audio and subtitle settings > set Audio to around -20db > set Audio Amplification to around +30db

See if that helps (I googled the above, as others had a similar issue which this seemed to fix).

Thank you for your answer. Sadly those two options are dimmed and I can't change them. I tested it with various videos from 2.0 to 7.1. I also didn't find a suitable setting in the menu.
Can you point me where you found this advice? I googled a bit before I wrote here and I did not find a similar problem with kodi - hence the assumption that the problem results from the combination of KODI with JBL BAR 9.1 so I wrote here.

I had what appeared a remote issue, which after help from the technical team turned out to be a faulty reciever on the actual soundbar, they immediately sent me a returns form and said they would send me a new unit once they have recieved and tested my old unit. After initially waiting a week for my order to process, I'm concerned that its going to be a few weeks until I get my new unit. Has anybody had experience of exchanging the Soundbar with JBL direct and can give me a rough idea of timescales?

What about their 30 day money back policy -send it back for a refund and order a new one?

I did think of that but I wasn't to impressed with the week of 'order processing' for my initial order and didn't fancy giving them more of my money and having nothing! I'm just going to have to be patient, I used their UPS returns method and dropped it off at a collection point yesterday morning, according to the tracking it should be with them tomorrow - I'll harass them after that!

Just bought this as the JBL site has it in stock and £250 off!!

TV doesn't have eARC (I've a 65 GZ950 coming this week) - will that be a big loss in your opinion?

Depends on what sources you have and which source you feed the HDMI input on the JBL. You'd get better advice if you posted your sources and what you are thinking of doing .

Just bought this as the JBL site has it in stock and £250 off!!

TV doesn't have eARC (I've a 65 GZ950 coming this week) - will that be a big loss in your opinion?

The onboard apps will have compressed audio so they should pass as is, I believe. I don't know how Pana implemented the HDMI bandwidth for the ARC connection so couldn't say how the audio will pass for devices connected to the TV. A good HDMI switcher may be your solution and then connect all devices to the bar - I'm sure that's what I'll have to do with my DX902 when I'm allowed splash out on my bar.

I'll be conecting a fire 4k stick, xbox one s and a ps4 pro. I'll be getting the next gen consoles when released. Was thinking should I connect the Xbox s as I think that handles atmos better and use that for netflix etc., as it is connected directly to the bar? Or will the difference via Arc be minor that it won't be a huge difference compared to eArc? I read the latter mentioned before but until I get trying everything I'm not 100%.

Thanks a million for the replies, really appreciate the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom