Thanks @andyman2

Options for downmix mode are "Surround" and "Stereo". I'll play around with "Bypass" (which I suspect is passthrough?) and DD+ as output settings.

Another thing I realised is that my Binge app has an option to change audio between "Dolby Digital+", "Dolby Digital" and "Standard" for any/all content. I am going to reach out to their support team to learn more - one suspicion is that perhaps content is being poorly upmixed into DD+, rather than streaming the HQ audio.

One more question: generally speaking, is getting a top of the line streaming device (e.g. Nvidia Shield) likely the optimal setup for sound+video quality?
Yes sorry I mentally changed Bypass to Passthrough which is how it's labelled on my TV.

So it may be that you just need to match the audio format being sent from Binge to that on your TV? I've never come across that ability here in the UK

I prefer external streamers and mostly use an AppleTV, but wouldn't say it's necessarily a better quality I just prefer the user interface. Personally I'd want to try and understand what the current issue is first, or at least ensure you can return whatever device you go for if it doesn't work any better. Using an external box may fix your issue or expose other problems, plenty of evidence on these forums.

Interesting. Maybe why I don't experience any short audio drops since the AppleTV decodes to PCM
Yeah, only got Audio Drops with ATMOS Multichannel PCM. Never with Dolby Surround, PCM or other output.

Hi again. Can anybody explain to me the meaning of text on the front panel. I downloaded Chameleon.m2ts test file with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos and DD+ Atmos. Looks like atmos audio works on my OLED C9 player only with m2ts files, because with mkv test files it show me "Audio is not supported".
Does "Dolby ATMOS DD+" on the front panel mean Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos works fine or not?
What does "Dolby SURROUND DD+" mean? What does "Dolby SURROUND DD" (without plus) mean?
Does any DTS audio always show "DTS Neural:X"?
Thanks.

Dolby Atmos DD+ Is lossy audio, a downgrade from Dolby ATMOS true HD, probably recoded by tv. You should choose any passthrough option on tv audio settings.

Dolby Atmos DD+ Is lossy audio, a downgrade from Dolby ATMOS true HD, probably recoded by tv. You should choose any passthrough option on tv audio settings.
With TrueHD Atmos soundbar must show "Dolby ATMOS true HD" on the panel?
I tested it with passthrough and auto. No difference. Looks like my C9 dont sent true hd atmos via eArc.

Not sure I do not have TrueHD Content. Try using Netflix Atmos shows (Dark Season 1, for example) or Amazon (Carnival Row, Jack Ryan Season 1) to see if you get ATMOS Multichannel PCM. If you do, probably your source it is not Dolby True HD. Any eARC connection would send anything Passthrough to the bar.

Not sure I do not have TrueHD Content. Try using Netflix Atmos shows (Dark Season 1, for example) or Amazon (Carnival Row, Jack Ryan Season 1) to see if you get ATMOS Multichannel PCM. If you do, probably your source it is not Dolby True HD.
I see "ATMOS Multichannel PCM" when I connect soundbar to PC with Dolby Access software and running test video Chameleon.m2ts with TrueHD Atmost audio. Still I don't know if sound I hear is real TrueHD Atmos or something else.
As far as I know Netflix and other streaming services has lossy DD+ atmos only. TrueHD Atmos available on 4K BDs (and remuxes) or test files.

Any eARC connection would send anything Passthrough to the bar.
It should be so, but in reality its not. On 2020's LG OLED CX DTS sound dont work both on TV player and via eArc. C9 whick I have has FULL DTS support. Also DD+ support, but not TrueHD.

I see "ATMOS Multichannel PCM" when I connect soundbar to PC with Dolby Access software and running test video Chameleon.m2ts with TrueHD Atmost audio. Still I don't know if sound I hear is real TrueHD Atmos or something else.
As far as I know Netflix and other streaming services has lossy DD+ atmos only. TrueHD Atmos available on 4K BDs (and remuxes) or test files.

It should be so, but in reality its not. On 2020's LG OLED CX DTS sound dont work both on TV player and via eArc. C9 whick I have has FULL DTS support. Also DD+ support, but not TrueHD.
Atmos Multichannel PCM is lossless LPCM 7.1 channels. It is an uncompressed audio format so there is no loss in quality, but the big disadvantage is it takes up a lot of space. Therefore, an LPCM soundtrack will sound as good as a Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-Master Audio version providing they all derive from the same master soundtrack.

Netflix and Amazon are able to stream that.
I got it from my native Samsung QLED apps, with no processing from TV.

I’d Guess, if your PC is connected directly to the Bar, that your file is not TrueHD.

Last edited:
Glad we're on this topic.

I'm feeding our tivo and Fire stick 4k direct to the bar. The only thing I've ever seen displayed is Dolby Surround?

This, despite having the Fire stick set to: DD plus - Always
Any idea?

Glad we're on this topic.

I'm feeding our tivo and Fire stick 4k direct to the bar. The only thing I've ever seen displayed is Dolby Surround?

This, despite having the Fire stick set to: DD plus - Always
Any idea?
The capability of the device such as TiVo and the Firestick is only what it can do if the source it is streaming has that codec. The app/program that is being outputted by the TiVo/Firestick will have certain audio and video codecs. If DD+ isn’t there, the TiVo/Firestick can’t create it.

if you are definitely inputting DD+ tk a soundbar input that can handle that codec and play it, then there would be an issue to look at :)

I don't think The TiVo can do the advanced codec. But the fire stick definitely can. It's menu let's you force it to DD+ but I'm not sure why it's never displayed on the bar. Content like The Expanse and Umbrella Academy sure sound good.

Maybe because we have never connected the bar to upgrade it's firmware??

I’ve searched this thread for a definitive answer, but haven’t found one yet. I know that some people have opined that the Lithium batteries in the wireless rear speakers are not user-replaceable. I wonder if anyone has opened the speakers to confirm. Thanks much!

I’ve searched this thread for a definitive answer, but haven’t found one yet. I know that some people have opined that the Lithium batteries in the wireless rear speakers are not user-replaceable. I wonder if anyone has opened the speakers to confirm. Thanks much!
You can replace any battery. It just depends on how big a PIA it is.
From measuring a full recharge I'm guessing there is a 18650 in each unit. It could be a 21700 but I doubt it. Probably need to be soldered in. They could be the button battery but I doubt it

Hope it's a few years before I need to open them. It's a little early for the 9.1, but if you Google almost any rechargable device you'll find good videos on how to replace most batteries

Last edited:
You can replace any battery. It just depends on how big a PIA it is.
From measuring a full recharge I'm guessing there is a 18650 in each unit. It could be a 21700 but I doubt it. Probably need to be soldered in. They could be the button battery but I doubt it

Hope it's a few years before I need to open them. It's a little early for the 9.1, but if you Google almost any rechargable device you'll find good videos on how to replace most batteries
From the manual: “• Lithium battery: 3.635 V, 3283 mAh” This has to refer to the rechargeable battery in the wireless speakers, right?

Yup. Why are you concerned already?
Trying to decide if I want to invest in a soundbar that has, in some ways, a finite life due to batteries being used in the wireless rear speakers (Versus, let’s say the Samsung Q950t’s that have wireless rear speakers that are AC powered (with no batteries to replace, ever). I think it’s an interesting design decision, with some significant advantages (no wires whatsoever, infinite placement options) but with the big disadvantage that are inherent with all battery-powered devices — decreasing battery capacity starting at day 1 with inevitable replacement. If the batteries were designed to be user-replaceable, I think that might give people some piece of mind about longevity of the product.

True. I had the exact same thoughts. But in our living room there is no way to get wires easily back to the tv. And the 9.1 gets some seriously good reviews.

If you can run a wire or 2 I'd skip the 9.1. Because the speakers detach, your left with a narrower front speaker when watching movies. Also, if you want to try and maximize battery longevity you need to monitor battery level and charge accordingly. I'm ok with this but it's a consideration.

As I said before,you can replace any battery. But there isn't a battery access panel. I'm getting 2 solid nights before recharging. They don't charge when they are attached and the unit is on. So charging takes some planning - or external charging which will run the speakers even if the internal batteries fail I think

True. I had the exact same thoughts. But in our living room there is no way to get wires easily back to the tv. And the 9.1 gets some seriously good reviews.

If you can run a wire or 2 I'd skip the 9.1. Because the speakers detach, your left with a narrower front speaker when watching movies. Also, if you want to try and maximize battery longevity you need to monitor battery level and charge accordingly. I'm ok with this but it's a consideration.

As I said before,you can replace any battery. But there isn't a battery access panel. I'm getting 2 solid nights before recharging. They don't charge when they are attached and the unit is on. So charging takes some planning - or external charging which will run the speakers even if the internal batteries fail I think
Decisions, decisions. I’ve already purchased the Q950T and I’m ”test-driving” it now. So far, I’m impressed by the sound quality. However, we’re moving to a new house soon and it will be much harder to run wires to the rear speakers — hence, my thoughts about the JBL 9.1 Bar. I listened to it at Best Buy and was impressed.

I have the rear speakers of the JBL Bar 1 permanently fitted to the rear wall with Micro USB chargers fitted to each. I have the USB chargers plugged into a timer plug which sets them to charge for a few hours overnight. Seems to work well and the speakers are not permanently charging and I dont need to keep re-fitting them to the bar each night.

Atmos Multichannel PCM is lossless LPCM 7.1 channels. It is an uncompressed audio format so there is no loss in quality, but the big disadvantage is it takes up a lot of space. Therefore, an LPCM soundtrack will sound as good as a Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-Master Audio version providing they all derive from the same master soundtrack.

Netflix and Amazon are able to stream that.
I got it from my native Samsung QLED apps, with no processing from TV.

I’d Guess, if your PC is connected directly to the Bar, that your file is not TrueHD.
Is there a streaming device that can output lossless Atmos for Netflix / Amazon Prime / Apple TV?

My TV can output Atmos to the bar but only has ARC so I get Dolby Atmos DD+, My Fire Cube 4K also outputs Atmos but via DD+ so I again get Dolby Atmos DD+

Tried to test, but I don't have a PC with Dolby Access s/w (does it cost?).
I can play Chameleon.m2ts using Infuse on my Apple TV with the file on a shared library, but the bar just displays PCM. It does sound good though, but why I just see PCM is confusing.

Playing a Dolby Atmos Netflix show displays "Dolby Atmos Multichannel PCM"on the bar this is obviously lossy Atmos (Source DD+) so no help as same as you are seeing when playing lossless audio (hopefully?)

My BR will display DTS-HD MA {:Neural X} which IS lossless, but I don't have a UHD player/disc so can't test for Atmos.

Edit> I tried a Dolby Atmos show on the C9 internal app. It shows Dolby Atmos DD+ when playing.

So I think "Dolby Atmos Multichannel PCM" does mean you are getting lossless Atmos. Essentially my Apple TV is sending lossless audio to the bar, even though the original source was lossy DD+ from Netflix

Last edited:
andyman2, thanks.
Dolby Access is paid software, but it has one week free trial period. I downloaded it from Microsoft Store (Windows 10).

I am tempted by this as currently have a 7 month old Samsung Q80R without the rears as wiring is tricky in the room and dont feel I am getting any decent surround or atmos with it....for the amount of money it cost it just doesnt seem to justify it and at least with this system if I want 5.1 I can move the speakers......anyone here had the Q80R to compare ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom