• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

JBL BAR 9.1 - Wireless Dolby Atmos Soundbar

steve51

Hi all, new owner of the JBL, connected apply tv 4k into the hdmi in port of the Soundbar but notice that it does pass through Dolby vision, I am using a certified 2.0 hdmi cable which worked fine with my LG Soundbar, does this bar require a 2.1 hdmi cable or could there be a different issue - cheers

Dimagen

Novice Member
I'm having a weird issue with my JBL 9.1 Bar, coupled with a Sony 65XH90 TV.

The problems started about a week ago, after I received the soundbar. Essentially, every 1-2 days, the JBL soundbar wouldn't play any sound coming from the TV. Even though it appears to be turned on, I can change its volume using the TV's remote and is also detects the TV input when turning the TV on, there would be no sound coming from the soundbar. The only solution I found was unplugging it from mains, waiting a few seconds, then powering it back on.

I have the same combo and same problem.

Rather than unplugging, if you go into Settings-Display and Sound-Audio Outputs, go to the eARC option and turn it off, go straight back into the same setting and turn it back to Auto. This normally brings the sound back for me.

Hopefully a future firmware update from Sony or JBL will fix it.

malReed

Standard Member
What did you write in an email?
I've had a reply, I mentioned issues with some DTS-HD MASTER blu rays hearing the voices, here are my questions and answers inline.

Thank you for contacting Harman Support.

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced problems with your JBL BAR 9.1, below the information you have requested, I hope they are up to the request.

1. could you explain why it doesn't have a center adjustment - I've come from a AMP and separates setup?

Unfortunately our products does not have a build in equalizer. so it's not possible to adjust the sounds manually, but you can try to recalibrate again.

2. could you say if it would be possible, given the hardware and existing programming?

I do not think that we will provide this option with sound bars.

3. could you say if there is ongoing development of the firmware/software and if this could be considered?

We are always working on our products of course, to improve the sound and quality of our devices.

4. if it's possible but it won't be done for whatever reason, might it be possible for the community to have access to the source code to create an un-official version?

We do not provide the source code.

Any other inquiry please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

So very helpful that they got back to me within a day and offered to continue the conversation if needed. But basically a no.
She mentions no equaliser, but there is control for, Rears, Sub, Atmos level so maybe it's a brush off - I don't have the knowledge to say otherwise.

parlapipis

hello everybody , i have an issue with my new jbl 9.1. It's impossible to complete the calibration progress. i put the spekers as in the manual and procedure 1 calibration always fails. i get the message :retry. Any ideas??

tomhill

Is it normal for the detachable speakers to sometimes turn on when the sound bar comes out of standby, and sometimes they do not turn on and I have to press the power button on the speakers to turn them on?

tomhill

hello everybody , i have an issue with my new jbl 9.1. It's impossible to complete the calibration progress. i put the spekers as in the manual and procedure 1 calibration always fails. i get the message :retry. Any ideas??
On the soundbar hold the power and back button for 10 seconds, this will reset the soundbar, and then lower the volume to 4 and try the calibration again.

gladiatoro

Banned
Future firmwear updates are coming no need to worry JBL will fix minor bugs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-071305_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-071305_Google.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 287

Billywizzo1

Reset the soundbar and then do the calibration before connecting the bar to the internet.
I had a similar problem and that was how I managed to get through the calibration process.

ernisj

Standard Member
With all the shortcomings, would you still recommend this soundbar? I'm little worried about not being able to adjust centre speakers, do you find it a problem?

Cheers.

Collinms

Standard Member
With all the shortcomings, would you still recommend this soundbar? I'm little worried about not being able to adjust centre speakers, do you find it a problem?

Cheers.
I would recommend it. I would gladly pay full price again. The fact it's $200 off right now is icing on the cake. Great deal.

shaynemawer

after a soundbar for a small cozy room with a LG C9 in. mostly streaming films and some have 7.1 / 5.1 available including some with Atmos..

now originally we didnt want any rear speakers in the way, but like the idea that these can come away from the soundbar and be used for a decent length of time...

I do at minute have an old Lg home theater sound system (LG 503HT) am guessing this will be a massive step upon sound quality ?

malReed

Standard Member
Don't get me wrong I'm hugely impressed with it. I've had issues with two Nolan films, Inception and Interstellar on Blu Ray. If I stream Inception from Netflix in 5.1 the center is fine (but it's also not coming through in DTS-HD Master). On the Atmos films I've watched so far it's really great and all TV comes through without issues too.
It's difficult these days to find a perfect tech/room/cost balance, but this works for me. I was sold by the detachable rears, no wires etc, and that is working out great.

andyman2

Hi all, new owner of the JBL, connected apply tv 4k into the hdmi in port of the Soundbar but notice that it does pass through Dolby vision, I am using a certified 2.0 hdmi cable which worked fine with my LG Soundbar, does this bar require a 2.1 hdmi cable or could there be a different issue - cheers
Do you mean "Does not"? No problems here with DV either via TV and eARC to bar, or direct to bar. Cables shouldn't be an issue but there are tests within the AppleTV to verify.

andyman2

Cheers.
What short-comings are you referring to? I agree it would be nice to be able to adjust the centre channel, but I rarely have problems now so possibly they have already tweaked this in the f/w releases to date. The bars selling point is its ease of installation (calibration aside for some), the way it recharges surround speakers and good audio capabilities including ATMOS sound. I don't see any major issues in this thread apart from some reporting lip-sync, but then this is still an issue across many devices and more likely blame lies elsewhere.

gladiatoro

Banned
Another great product from JBL. Finally a wireless surround system that does it all and well. 820 watts of pure power.

As usual the competition is left in the dust.😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201127-053114_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201127-053114_Google.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

gladiatoro

Banned
Question why doesn't Sonos or Bose list watts on their systems.....Answer....😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201127-062540_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201127-062540_Chrome.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 157

CaptainKoloth

Novice Member
Hello everyone:

Question on this as a new owner. I'm a retro gamer and have a lot of old game consoles that use Dolby Pro Logic II for faux surround. Am I correct in understanding that when I connect those via optical the bar should recognize the sound as Dolby Surround and properly output it to the rear speakers?

wit3k

Hi. Can anyone tell me how to disable soundbar accespoint? Jbl it’s Connect to my Home wifi. When i look wifi ap on my laptop, i can see one that have No secourity, and it’s name that name i set on soundbar.

shaynemawer

slightly weird question,, as i look more into the jbl am starting to swing towards it due to the fact that the rear speakers are true wireless. My tv cabinet is 42" in width and read somewhere that the jbl is 47" when the rear speakers are attached to the bar. My question is, how strong are the magnets that hold it together ? am thinking i'll have a 3" overhang when the speakers are charging and just want to make sure they wont fall off the tv stand.

PVS1

slightly weird question,, as i look more into the jbl am starting to swing towards it due to the fact that the rear speakers are true wireless. My tv cabinet is 42" in width and read somewhere that the jbl is 47" when the rear speakers are attached to the bar. My question is, how strong are the magnets that hold it together ? am thinking i'll have a 3" overhang when the speakers are charging and just want to make sure they wont fall off the tv stand.
I think 3" will be too much, as that is about half the width of each surround speaker.

Oric1

The magnets on both end are very strong. It won't fall off. In fact you need to use a bit of strength to detach the speakers from the main soundbar.

There are a lot of demos on YouTube to show how strong the magnets are and also one showing the rears how its holding up without any support from the tabletop / cabinet top.

Just search for JBL Bar 9.1 on YouTube to see for yourself.

shaynemawer

The magnets on both end are very strong. It won't fall off. In fact you need to use a bit of strength to detract the speakers from the main soundbar.

There are a lot of demos on YouTube to show how strong the magnets are and also one showing the rears showing its holding up without any support from the tabletop / cabinet top.

Just search for JBL Bar 9.1 on YouTube and see for yourself.

excellent.. am on the case now lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett