JBL BAR 9.1 - Wireless Dolby Atmos Soundbar

SmAShY

No everything is plugged into the TV.
It happens with either Netflix or Amazon Prime.
I am sure it never did that before as when you select an app the sound changed straight away to the app sound
I don't have a similar setup so can't comment. My Sky Q box is plugged into the bar.

Colluphid

Novice Member
Hoping someone might know what's up here. My Bar 9.1 starts distorting audio a few times per hour. It sounds like everything is underwater. It stops if I pause media and then play again. The sound bar is connected via optical, and the video source is a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV.

GTVH

Novice Member
Hey guys, first post here. I've got this bar set up in our bedroom. Ps4 slim fed into the bar, and arc from a vizio display. I seem to have gotten a stable unit, no weirdness to report. I'm simply looking for best setting out of my ps4 slim to get the most out of this scenario. The bar was a nice step up from what I had and sufficiently rumbles the bedroom.

SmAShY

Hoping someone might know what's up here. My Bar 9.1 starts distorting audio a few times per hour. It sounds like everything is underwater. It stops if I pause media and then play again. The sound bar is connected via optical, and the video source is a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV.
Have you tried plugging the Chromecast Ultra directly into the bar? It's be worth trying to eliminate the issue being the TV.

SmAShY

Hey guys, first post here. I've got this bar set up in our bedroom. Ps4 slim fed into the bar, and arc from a vizio display. I seem to have gotten a stable unit, no weirdness to report. I'm simply looking for best setting out of my ps4 slim to get the most out of this scenario. The bar was a nice step up from what I had and sufficiently rumbles the bedroom.
I've read elsewhere that linear PCM is the way to go, but I'm not certain and it does confuse me a bit.

spikecast

I've read elsewhere that linear PCM is the way to go, but I'm not certain and it does confuse me a bit.
Weirdly I got no sound on PCM via PS4 until I changed it to bitstream dolby. Same on Xbox One if I select uncompressed 5.1 the bar doesn't like it. LG C9 has the latest PCM channel update too, any ideas? TV set to EARC / Passthru

SmAShY

Weirdly I got no sound on PCM via PS4 until I changed it to bitstream dolby. Same on Xbox One if I select uncompressed 5.1 the bar doesn't like it. LG C9 has the latest PCM channel update too, any ideas? TV set to EARC / Passthru
I thought it was you who suggested LPCM on Xbox?! 🤣

spikecast

I thought it was you who suggested LPCM on Xbox?! 🤣
I changed it to bitstream dolby Digital for games (to stop the sound cutting out on Atmos which isn't as bad as before since the C9 update) and let the receiver decode audio for UHD's to retain the Atmos for movies. I'll have to mess about with it at some point. Weirdly the switch works perfectly and comes up PCM! :facepalm:

spikecast

Weirdly tried the uncompressed settings again on Xbox One X and both 5.1 and 7.1 work. Don't think it sounds as good as the Atmos setting or dolby digital so I'll leave it as it is. Out of interest if you do use PCM would you use 5.1 or 7.1 on this bar?

SmAShY

Weirdly tried the uncompressed settings again on Xbox One X and both 5.1 and 7.1 work. Don't think it sounds as good as the Atmos setting or dolby digital so I'll leave it as it is. Out of interest if you do use PCM would you use 5.1 or 7.1 on this bar?
I don't have an Xbox but I'd probably use 5.1.

antik

Novice Member
Hello everyone.
This soundbar is super cool, but I have one problem within fullHD.
Environment: 65" Hisense 4K (60Hz) LCD TV (RAW sound setting), Apple TV 4K (set 4K HDR 50Hz) and JBL 9.1

As part of the playing of 4K videos, the picture and sound are perfect, but when I play a fullHD movie, it looks like JBL is transmitting it fixedly into 4K 50Hz "HDR10" and the result is bad, for example, a dark scene looks very bad:

I think the problem is that JBL trying to converts it to HDR10.

When I switch the 4K HDMI cable from JBL to TV, the picture goes automatically in "4K 24Hz without HDR" and the picture is OK - ie. in the dark part without picture fragmentation (but sound is not usable, because it goes through TV to JBL back via HDMI ARC and JBL it automatically change it into Dolby Surround).

Any idea, how ti fix fullHD picture fragmentation?

Last edited:

spikecast

Hello everyone.
This soundbar is super cool, but I have one problem within fullHD.
Environment: 65" Hisense 4K (60Hz) LCD TV (RAW sound setting), Apple TV 4K (set 4K HDR 50Hz) and JBL 9.1

As part of the playing of 4K videos, the picture and sound are perfect, but when I play a fullHD movie, it looks like JBL is transmitting it fixedly into 4K 50Hz "HDR10" and the result is bad, for example, a dark scene looks very bad:

I think the problem is that JBL trying to converts it to HDR10.

When I switch the 4K HDMI cable from JBL to TV, the picture goes automatically in "4K 24Hz without HDR" and the picture is OK - ie. in the dark part without picture fragmentation (but sound is not usable, because it goes through TV to JBL back via HDMI ARC and JBL it automatically change it into Dolby Surround).

Any idea, how ti fix fullHD picture fragmentation?

Does your TV support ARC or eARC? Try running source direct to TV and bar to ARC socket and let the TV handle it.

sneakyweeone

Just watched this as well. I think he refers to it as his favourite soundbar of the year? 😁
About our ads

I heard that too. Looks like you have a keeper.

Last edited:

antik

Novice Member
Does your TV support ARC or eARC? Try running source direct to TV and bar to ARC socket and let the TV handle it.
Yes, TV has ARS HDMI, however as I mentioned:
"When I switch the 4K HDMI cable from JBL to TV, the picture goes automatically in "4K 24Hz without HDR" and the picture is OK - ie. in the dark part without picture fragmentation (but sound is not usable, because it goes through TV to JBL back via HDMI ARC and JBL it automatically change it into Dolby Surround)."
So I tried this solution what you wrote and there is no picture fragmentation, BUT then sound is degraded to only Dolby Surround.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299