JBL BAR 9.1 - Wireless Dolby Atmos Soundbar

yuvalsap

Novice Member
Need a bit more information, is he using the HDMI out on his motherboard or graphics card .etc and what model?

Has he gone through the many sound troubleshooters in windows to try and force a handshake to fix?
I will ask him, but generally The bar should detect and show on the screen Atmos\DD etc when connected to a PC ?

Oric1

Standard Member
Only if that component has a license to spit out dolby .etc
Crunchman is right. If the software your friend is using to play the movie/video does not have license from Dolby/DTS then it can't produce Atmos/DTS:X, hence, he won't be able to see it display on his soundbar.

DazzF

Novice Member
Hi All,

Newbie to soundbars full stop, so forgive the basic level of my understanding and therefore the question.

I'm thinking of buying one of these soundbars, but I need to understand if it will work correctly with the setup I have.

I currently have an HDMI switch connected to my Virgon Box, Xbox, PlayStation and Raspberry PI running Kodi. The output of the switch runs to an HDMI splitter which feeds my TV and my projector.

For simplicity, with all the cable runs, it would be ideal if I could just run another HDMI cable from the splitter to the Soundbar HDMI input. Will work?

I hope that all makes sense...

manu369

Novice Member
Same issue even after the replacement, it is not calibrating. Pls help

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the replacement.

Honestly it's a great system once it's set up and calibrated properly. I know some people throughout this thread have said that it sounds amazing out of the box but I found voices sounded a bit muddy until I had calibrated it properly.

I'm a bit miffed at all the faffing about I've had to do with mine to get it to sound like it does thought I must admit. But wireless rears was far too much for me to resist!

Oric1

Standard Member
I read in this thread that one of these methods worked for some so you may want to give it a try.

If calibration unsuccessful then try:
(1) unplug HDMI cable from soundbar and try again or

(2) Move subwoofer within 3 feet to soundbar or

(3) Factory reset the bar, don’t connect to the Internet, do the calibration then connect to WiFi

Good luck!

ron swanson

Like I said I did a factory reset and it solved the problem.

Not really sure what else to suggest other than checking there are no obstruction between the bar and the rears during calibration.

My soundbar is mounted below the TV and I made sure the rears were at the same height as the bar during calibration.

TranceDJ

Novice Member
Sometimes, when I switch channels or stop playing a video on my TV, I hear a short (1 sec) but very loud popping / cracking noise. My bar is equipped with the latest firmware and is connected to an LG oled GX. Are there other users experiencing this? It gets very annoying.
To be clear: I do not hear this noise while watching content but only (random) while switching / stopping content. However, this issue is solved when I deactivate eARC in the sound settings of my TV (which is not the desired solution).

Update (1): a factory reset of my bar didn’t solve this (with eARC setting on in TV menu).
Update (2): tried 3 different hdmi cables but that didn’t solve it (with eARC setting on in TV menu).
Update (3): in the sound settings of my TV I tried both to disable/enable bypass at ‘AV sync adjustment’. Furthermore I tried both automatic/pass through at ‘digital sound out’. Didn’t solve it neither (with eARC setting on in TV menu).

Last edited:

Oric1

Standard Member
Sometimes when I switch channels or stop playing a video on my TV, I hear a short (1 sec) but very loud tick noise. My bar is equipped with the latest firmware and is connected to an LG oled GX. Are there other users experiencing this? It gets very annoying. To be clear: I do not hear this noise while watching content but only while switching or stopping content (random) and not always. The problem seems to be solved when I deactivate earc in the sound settings from my TV.
Yes it's very common. A lot of us do get it too.

Coombs

Standard Member
Are u getting atmos on nvidia shield pro when watching movies on Disney plus? Of course if you have that app. Just checking before ordering one. Thanks
I can confirm that the nvidia shield produces Atmos from Disney plus with this bar. The Disney plus app on my Sony TV would not but no problems from shield. Also I have the non pro 2019 model. Don’t think you really need the pro unless gaming or the built in storage or USB ports is important to you. I connect my PC directly to my TV so I only needed the streaming abilities of the shield and the non pro version seemed to fit the bill perfectly for this purpose.

Chaybee1

I've noticed a problem with the sound if you're trying to play 5.1 DTS, the soundbar seems to upmix it to DTS Neural X which now shows on the on screen display but the sound keeps crackling. Anyone else seen this with DTS?
Yep, posted about this before in this thread with no reply. I believe it's a problem with older DTS encoded discs cause does not happen with new DTS or DTSX discs.

Chaybee1

Vudu app, Atmos through my Roku TV via eARC is reading "Dolby Atmos Multi Channel PCM" now to the JBL since the last update. Direct in from my Atmos Blu Ray player shows "Dolby Atmos TrueHD", tested the same films for both and there is a noticeably better Atmos sound difference direct in. Sucks that's the case but I guess I'm back to buying physical media now.

andyman2

Vudu app, Atmos through my Roku TV via eARC is reading "Dolby Atmos Multi Channel PCM" now to the JBL since the last update. Direct in from my Atmos Blu Ray player shows "Dolby Atmos TrueHD", tested the same films for both and there is a noticeably better Atmos sound difference direct in. Sucks that's the case but I guess I'm back to buying physical media now.
I don't think any streaming service uses Dolby TrueHD lossless, this is not a problem with the bar.

Cgabbert21

Novice Member
I am also having the same low dialogue issue after the most recent update. I emailed JBL support. Jst wondering if anyone has found a way to fix it or if anyone has got a reply from JBL?

marchudman

Hi All,

Newbie to soundbars full stop, so forgive the basic level of my understanding and therefore the question.

I'm thinking of buying one of these soundbars, but I need to understand if it will work correctly with the setup I have.

I currently have an HDMI switch connected to my Virgon Box, Xbox, PlayStation and Raspberry PI running Kodi. The output of the switch runs to an HDMI splitter which feeds my TV and my projector.

For simplicity, with all the cable runs, it would be ideal if I could just run another HDMI cable from the splitter to the Soundbar HDMI input. Will work?

I hope that all makes sense...
Yeah it should do. There is one HDMI in in this bar and one HDMI out to tv. So long as the splitter is feeding the video/audio from any of the sources it will work With Dolby digital that for sure.

Dont expect Dolby Atmos though

Venicenerd

Standard Member
This Soundbar really needs an App so we can fine tune some settings like EQ and per speaker volume settings. Should be standard in 2020, no?

ron swanson

This Soundbar really needs an App so we can fine tune some settings like EQ and per speaker volume settings. Should be standard in 2020, no?
Honestly this is one of my biggest frustrations with the system, I think it's an excellent system I really do but having previously owned Sony systems I was surprised at how bare bones the JBL feels. Don't get me wrong I don't necessarily think that being simplified is a bad thing as I'm sure there are lots of people who prefer it's more basic approach but I wish I could tune things to my preferences a little more.

I've lost count of the amount of times when I wish I could tune the front speakers because the dialogue is seemingly drown out by background music in a scene.

But don't get me wrong it sounds awesome and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon, I just wish JBL would give me the option to tinker a little more. I guess theres always the chance they might release an app or something to allow us in the future.

Fingers crossed.

padlock1

Hello all,

I recently purchased this sound bar, and while I'm generally pleased with the sound coming out of it, I'm having some real usability issues. In the few days I've had it, I've had the following problems:

1. The sound in my surround speakers will sometimes cut in and out, which is extremely distracting.
2. Twice, the entire sound bar just powered itself off while in the middle of watching something. It wasn't during a quiet time either.
3. A few times when coming out of standby, the sound bar lost connecting to the subwoofer, and asked me to reconnect it.

Any suggestions on how to resolve these issues?

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett