JBL BAR 9.1 - Wireless Dolby Atmos Soundbar

andyman2

My bar also just updated without me knowing. In fact if I hadn't seen the posts here I still wouldn't know. I've had one time when the bar said the rear speakers needed recharging when I'd only had them undocked for a short period, so perhaps related to the above. My one major gripe is the inability to adjust the centre channels. I've only found I need this watching Amazon prime, specifically ST Picard. I have to have the bar at 9/10 to hear the dialogue, which is fine but the when music comes in the whole thing is a bit too loud.

SmAShY

My bar also just updated without me knowing. In fact if I hadn't seen the posts here I still wouldn't know. I've had one time when the bar said the rear speakers needed recharging when I'd only had them undocked for a short period, so perhaps related to the above. My one major gripe is the inability to adjust the centre channels. I've only found I need this watching Amazon prime, specifically ST Picard. I have to have the bar at 9/10 to hear the dialogue, which is fine but the when music comes in the whole thing is a bit too loud.
Have you tried turning down Atmos and rears to see if that gives a better balance?

andyman2

I'm sure that would help, but then I will need to change settings when changing sources. I'm currently waiting for the new LG C9 f/w which is about to be released here. Then I can re-connect my ATV box directly to the TV and use eARC (in theory). Then I'll have a further play.

brownie221

I'm sure that would help, but then I will need to change settings when changing sources. I'm currently waiting for the new LG C9 f/w which is about to be released here. Then I can re-connect my ATV box directly to the TV and use eARC (in theory). Then I'll have a further play.
How would fw update help ATV4K with eARC? Isn't that a hardware limitation?

andyman2

The C9 has eARC but only passes through 2 channel LPCM until the new f/w 04.80.03 is installed. LG role it out by region and its available but not quite yet in Europe.

spikecast

Watched Jaws on this bar earlier, sounded great In Atmos.

joaste

Standard Member
I think your second point is fixed with the latest updates, at least definitely when the soundbar is in standby mode. I left my rear speakers unplugged a couple of days ago and when their batteries were running low I got the connect/charge message, as soon as I plugged the rears in to charge the message disappeared straight away.

I definitely agree that a companion app would be handy, I left a review on JBLs website and mentioned it, hopefully if enough people ask it they will consider it.
So just to say that item 2 is not fixed:

" 2) when batteries are low, the message appears on screen (this is expected). However, when plugging in micro USB cables, the red LED goes on and the rear speakers charge, even while watching a movie (which is great considering that when docked to the bar, they will only charge if the bar is on standby, which I was shocked about). However, even though they are charging when on micro usb, the message still appears on the bar's screen indicating low batteries. I would prefer that the message no longer appears while charging by cable as I find it distracting to have the message appearing all the time. I did not yet check if the latest update solves that. "

To reproduce:
1) Use the rears on battery power until the low battery message appears on the bar
2) While still using the rears, start charging them using a micro USB cable (with a strong enough charger of course)
3) In this case, for me at least, the low battery message should stop appearing since the rears are plugged in.

Out of curiosity, after about 2 hours of use while being charged through the USB cable, I used the remote to check the battery status. The bar reported 10% for each. I un-plugged the USB cable and immediately checked again. The bar then reported 90% for the batteries. This shows that indeed the batteries are being charged while in use (which is not the case when you charge the batteries by docking the rears to the bar - charging only happens in Standby mode), but that the bar is not being informed of either the actual level of battery charge or the fact that they are being charged.

I find it irritating to have the low battery message appearing under the TV while watching a movie, knowing that the rears are plugged and being charged.

I will send this text to Harman support, hoping that it will make it's way to the developers.

Again, out of curiosity, it would be nice to hear if anyone can reproduce this behavior.

EDIT: Message sent to Harman Support via the US website (I'm supposing their dev team is there).

Last edited:

nickkuk

Standard Member

" 2) when batteries are low, the message appears on screen (this is expected). However, when plugging in micro USB cables, the red LED goes on and the rear speakers charge, even while watching a movie (which is great considering that when docked to the bar, they will only charge if the bar is on standby, which I was shocked about). However, even though they are charging when on micro usb, the message still appears on the bar's screen indicating low batteries. I would prefer that the message no longer appears while charging by cable as I find it distracting to have the message appearing all the time. I did not yet check if the latest update solves that. "

To reproduce:
1) Use the rears on battery power until the low battery message appears on the bar
2) While still using the rears, start charging them using a micro USB cable (with a strong enough charger of course)
3) In this case, for me at least, the low battery message should stop appearing since the rears are plugged in.

Out of curiosity, after about 2 hours of use while being charged through the USB cable, I used the remote to check the battery status. The bar reported 10% for each. I un-plugged the USB cable and immediately checked again. The bar then reported 90% for the batteries. This shows that indeed the batteries are being charged while in use (which is not the case when you charge the batteries by docking the rears to the bar - charging only happens in Standby mode), but that the bar is not being informed of either the actual level of battery charge or the fact that they are being charged.

I find it irritating to have the low battery message appearing under the TV while watching a movie, knowing that the rears are plugged and being charged.

I will send this text to Harman support, hoping that it will make it's way to the developers.

Again, out of curiosity, it would be nice to hear if anyone can reproduce this behavior.

EDIT: Message sent to Harman Support via the US website (I'm supposing their dev team is there).
I guess mine will be the same, I'll leave the rears unplugged and test with the soundbar in use rather than in standby and let you know.

Billywizzo1

Noticed that if you turn off/mute the rears when not docked and then happen to pause say a program on SkyQ and then start playing it again the rears unmute.
Anyone else noticed this.

SmAShY

Noticed that if you turn off/mute the rears when not docked and then happen to pause say a program on SkyQ and then start playing it again the rears unmute.
Anyone else noticed this.
I was just watching YouTube via the Sky Q box and paused it a few times but the rears didn't come back on.

Has there been another update, as I'm sure it said Rears Off rather than muted after the initial update that introduced this feature?

Billywizzo1

I was just watching YouTube via the Sky Q box and paused it a few times but the rears didn't come back on.

Has there been another update, as I'm sure it said Rears Off rather than muted after the initial update that introduced this feature?
Mine definitely say rears muted if I hold the rear sound button down

SmAShY

Steve just said the following in a different thread:

I'm currently writing up my review of the JBL 9.1 and I had no problems with dialogue clarity or drop outs. In fact, I thought it was really impressive in terms of features, performance and price.

jasup

Never had any issue with Xbox one connected to the jbl straight. But since lg release the upgraded firmware for c9 with pcm arc I connect my Xbox on the tv and I can hear some crackling noise sometimes. Annoying

nickkuk

Standard Member

To reproduce:

I let the rear speakers run down and did see the same thing, once the batteries are low and you plug them in, I still did get the speaker low message every 5-10 minutes. I do agree it would be nice if JBL could stop the message once the speakers were charging up.

Rowns

Standard Member
Hi guys, I’m torn between Smart Mode On or Off, I can’t decide. Smart Mode is more immersive, but I worry it’s at the expense of accuracy. I disable it for music, as music sounds much better without it.

Just curious around other people’s thoughts?

SmAShY

Hi guys, I’m torn between Smart Mode On or Off, I can’t decide. Smart Mode is more immersive, but I worry it’s at the expense of accuracy. I disable it for music, as music sounds much better without it.

Just curious around other people’s thoughts?
I leave it on.

billywizzo

Wondered if anyone has noticed a sound issue that I noticed the other day, I have an LG C9 tv.
If I am watching SkyQ and then go to the netflix app on the TV without turning Sky off, I still hear the Sky sound until I select something to watch on netflix.
This never used to happen as selecting netflix would cut out the Sky sound.
It is not a real problem but just anoying and dont know if it is a TV or soundbar problem.

SmAShY

Wondered if anyone has noticed a sound issue that I noticed the other day, I have an LG C9 tv.
If I am watching SkyQ and then go to the netflix app on the TV without turning Sky off, I still hear the Sky sound until I select something to watch on netflix.
This never used to happen as selecting netflix would cut out the Sky sound.
It is not a real problem but just anoying and dont know if it is a TV or soundbar problem.
Is Sky Q plugged into the bar?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299