Brought mine back to shop, swapped it for a Sony oled tv had to add a bit more cash to cover the balance and set up my old sony ht-zf9 soundbar to it, happy now.
Shame you didn't stick it out and get a second one to see if it was a unit issue but as long as your happy......:)

The ones that come to mind are some crackles with rears, muddy dialogue in action scenes, some audio dropouts and no bass with the rears.

Lack of bass from rears would be criminal, those speakers are MASSIVE imagine having those things propped behind you and they let down the rest of your sound response. I'm not sure what the problem with rears is as almost every soundbar with wireless rears since the K950 has had some sort of crackling or sub-optimal sound quality issue with the rears.

Follow up to my previous post:

Upon further investigation, the crackling sound surfaces when you are browsing through LG’s Netflix app on webOS. I checked out Netflix thru ATV-4k and Shield and there were no issues whatsoever.

So I guess there is a bug in the Netflix app on WebOS.

Follow up to my previous post:

Upon further investigation, the crackling sound surfaces when you are browsing through LG’s Netflix app on webOS. I checked out Netflix thru ATV-4k and Shield and there were no issues whatsoever.

So I guess there is a bug in the Netflix app on WebOS.

I think I might have heard it outside of Netflix also, but it's really not an issue and I only bought it up because I didn't want to be the only one with it and then get paranoid about it being hardware fault on my particular unit.

The soundbar has really opened up my LG C9. ALLM now activates automatically on my Xbox One S and I also get Dolby Vision on the 4k player on the Xbox and Netflix I'm finally getting atmos something my old K850 soundbar couldn't do.

I need to get a little electric screwdriver so I can get those mounting points sorted for the rear speakers before I do any sort of calibration but all in all I've got everything working that I've checked, the only thing left to check is disk content with DTS:X

Some people are so hyperbolic in their first impressions sometimes "OMG BEST THING EVER MADE ME JUMP WITH SOUND :D" then 1 day later "yes the audio is muffled"

Some people are so hyperbolic in their first impressions sometimes "OMG BEST THING EVER MADE ME JUMP WITH SOUND :D" then 1 day later "yes the audio is muffled"
Totally agree, and tbh the source material is such a big variable too, its often not so straight forward to apportion blame. My pet hate are the people who don't research properly, discover that product X doesn't do what they want, then start ranting against the product and manufacturer. Man how come I've spent all this money and it doesn't blah blah.....

It's funny but reassuring that it's the opposite scenario with this bar. The early adopters had issues and returned but now more and more happy people are posting :D

Anyway, I've still not bought yet but the form factor of the 9.1 has sold it for the missus so this will be the choice, just need to rebuild the slush fund. Keep the improvements coming JBL.

I've not even had serious time with it yet, last night I set it up and made sure it worked properly with netflix my xbox one s and the external hard drive. I watched the start of pacific rim with the rears behind me (no calibration done yet) then docked them back and watched the rest of the football that was on BT. Just got back from work a while ago so nothing plannned yet (maybe just check to see if DTS:X works as it should) it'll be the weekend before I reall get to experience it fully.

On a side note I've just had a look and there's no drill in the house to make the holes for the rear speaker mounts....another thing to buy :(

Has anyone actually mounted the rear speaker brackets onto a wall? I've ordered a drill and and drill bit accessories but it would be nice to know what size the wall plugs and screws that came with the bar 9.1 actually were.

Just had another little play with it, got the wifi setup and it downloaded and installed a couple of updates (no idea what they were about) again not really had a chance to test out it's atmos chops just yet. I'm not normally someone who gets excited easily by any loud sound and then think that it must be atmos as a lot of people unfamiliar with it seem to and I normally have to watch a movie where there's something specific happening that's where I'll sense the overheard effects so will have to wait till the weekend to fully test that out.

I did check the bass performance as watching the first few scenes from Pacific Rim I wasn't really noticing anything thunderous (I did have the sub dialled back to 2 as my room is smaller) but knocking the sub level back up to 3 and watching the opening scene of The Dark Knight in 4k (Christopher Nolan movies always have very strong Low frequency responses) the sub was ready and created a really nicely integrated cinematic rumble free of the over egged nonsense lesser subs attempt.

I'm just waiting to get the rear mounts behind me sorted and I think I'll be good to good to go.

Has anyone bought this from the jbl website? Ordered mine 6 days ago and its still at 'Order Processing'. How long does it usually take?

I ordered it last Friday and still no movement, it still states order processing. I spoke to customer services yesterday and they just said that the warehouse was still on reduced staff and things were taking longer and apologised. They hoped
it would be dispatched in the next 48hours (I’ve still not been charged). They also gave me a 20% off code for my next purchase for the inconvenience.

I ordered mine from the Harman audio website which is basically the same thing and it also took a while to come. I ordered on a Saturday and had to wait till Friday evening before it was shipped but it did arrive on the following Tuesday (this Tuesday that is).

I ordered last Wednesday and was delivered on Tuesday (from JBL)

It was pretty painless to set up wifi and download the updates. It took 3 attempts to calibrate however. My initial thoughts after 48 hours is that sound is clear and bass is thumping but I'm not particularly wowed by any Atmos effect. My room set up is similar to the diagram in the manual - I'm sat 8 feet away from the TV and bar and the rear speakers are behind me on stands 110cm high. However my floor to ceiling measurement is 220cm where the manual states an optimal height of 3 metres. Despite changing the rear and atmos settings I don't seem to get anything that bounces from overhead or around me. Could my lower ceiling be a factor? I have an Xbox One X connected directly to the bar
and have played a few Marvel 4k discs (including the pigeon scene that Steve Withers recommended from Ant Man 2) and content from Disney+. The Amaze and Leaf demo on the Xbox Dolby app sounded great but still didn't get that contained sound bubble that others have experienced.

It was pretty painless to set up wifi and download the updates. It took 3 attempts to calibrate however. My initial thoughts after 48 hours is that sound is clear and bass is thumping but I'm not particularly wowed by any Atmos effect. My room set up is similar to the diagram in the manual - I'm sat 8 feet away from the TV and bar and the rear speakers are behind me on stands 110cm high. However my floor to ceiling measurement is 220cm where the manual states an optimal height of 3 metres. Despite changing the rear and atmos settings I don't seem to get anything that bounces from overhead or around me. Could my lower ceiling be a factor? I have an Xbox One X connected directly to the bar
and have played a few Marvel 4k discs (including the pigeon scene that Steve Withers recommended from Ant Man 2) and content from Disney+. The Amaze and Leaf demo on the Xbox Dolby app sounded great but still didn't get that contained sound bubble that others have experienced.

Personally I always tell people to dial in expectations with Atmos soundbars (despite almost everyone else building them up) as I mentioned in a post a few replies back I myself don't use official demos to try and see if the Atmos effect is any good instead I rely on actual movie watching experience. Also don't expect constant audio buzzing overhead just because a movie has Atmos and is quite action heavy for example Disney are known to have very mediocre Atmos mixes on their movies.

You need to give it a bit of time and get through some content before judgment, I know it's probably not what you want to hear but it's the reality of the situation. FYI with my last soundbar (Samsung K850) and with the Bar 9.1 which I got on Tuesday I tried the Atmos demos out via my Xbox one s and though they sounded good I wasn't really picking up any sort pronounced overhead effect like other people seemed to, with the Bar 9.1 I'm yet to give it a solid testing but my old K850 I did get some decent Atmos effects when watching Mad Max, The Conjuring 2 and IT Chapter One so I know it does work but it's just a question of content and finding the right stuff what works better in your particular setup.

Thanks for the reply. It's my first experience of Atmos so expectations were higher. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the purchase I just wasn't sure if my room set-up was downgrading the experience or not. The JBL is replacing a Yamaha YSP 2200 which was really good but I missed having proper rear channels. I'll be able to watch more TV and movies at the weekend to give it more of a chance to shine.

PS my delivery driver was a bit nicer than yours and removed the pallet for me before bringing it up the drive :)

Thanks for the reply. It's my first experience of Atmos so expectations were higher. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the purchase I just wasn't sure if my room set-up was downgrading the experience or not. The JBL is replacing a Yamaha YSP 2200 which was really good but I missed having proper rear channels. I'll be able to watch more TV and movies at the weekend to give it more of a chance to shine.

PS my delivery driver was a bit nicer than yours and removed the pallet for me before bringing it up the drive :)

Mine was some old fart who wasn't in any mood to help out, he wanted to get going asap.

I guess a lower ceiling would work better for reflecting the soundwaves even though they say 3 metres. In my playing around and testing I've found there is a definate sweet spot for the best Atmos effects, I think the rear speakers at ear level behind and angled towards the seating position works best.

the best test sources for Atmos I've found are
Gravity, 'De Luxe' version of the film - right from the start of the you get effects above and around you
Hacksaw Ridge - the battle scene towards the end of the film has loads of prominent effects. There are scenes with trees where the birds are very distinct overhead.
12 Strong - the main battle scene has really great sound with a lot going on
Blade Runner 2049 - awesome sound right from the start and throughout the film
Everest - really good helicopter and environmental effects
A Quiet Place - loads of overhead effects and excellent use of sound through the film
Bloodshot - awesome weighty sound effects right through the film with loads of house shaking LFE.

they're the films I've found that have the most prominent effects most often for demoing. I think a lot of films use the effects more sparingly as there's not always a reason to have loads of stuff going on overhead.

I dont have many disks with DTS:X soundtracks for testing but watching the Harry Potter films with my kids they used all the speakers well including height effects.

You can also get a free 45 day trial to Tidal HiFi that includes Dolby Atmos music, there are some really good Atmos albums included, particularly Kraftwerk 3D that has the most prominent use of Atmos I've heard that is really fun to listen to.
The signup link is: TIDAL - FREE for 90 Days (new accounts) - hotukdeals
I hope that helps!

Dark on netflix is good for the bass
Watched Wonder Woman tonight in 4k and Atmos tonight. Fantastic sound but not many overhead efects But great surround sound and side to side effects.
I had two sound drop outs though for about a second. Probably something to do with the disc playback than the bar though.
I think Aryn86 is right is right you do need to dial back your expectations a bit on Atmos can't expect everything to be whizzing above your head.

Got the rears mounted behind sofa (not the best installation but it'll do) calibration done aswell. I am now ready to view some content finally.

Got the rears mounted behind sofa (not the best installation but it'll do) calibration done aswell. I am now ready to view some content finally.
Ha mine are mounted by restin on the back of the sofa! Works a treat for me as I can pack them away each night

Ha mine are mounted by restin on the back of the sofa! Works a treat for me as I can pack them away each night

The mounts allow them be slid on and off so they're not permanently in one place at the moment they're back on the bar, will only stick them behind me when movie watching it's just I wanted a consistent and steady place to have them rather then having them perched on odd parts of the Sofa.

The mounts allow them be slid on and off so they're not permanently in one place at the moment they're back on the bar, will only stick them behind me when movie watching it's just I wanted a consistent and steady place to have them rather then having them perched on odd parts of the Sofa.
Wife would have kittens at the thought of me taking a drill to the wall. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom