JBL BAR 9.1 Soundbar Review & Comments

From the review if that helps:
there’s also a template and wall mounts for the soundbar, along with mounts for the rear speakers that you can hook them on to when they’re in use and unhook them when you want to recharge them

Thanks, missed that. Just looking at the manual, assuming the thing at the bottom right are the rear mounts they look ideal, I want something discreet when removed

1593506549829.png

Edit: Ah, it is, I really should read the full thing first!

1593506719531.png

Hi I'm hoping all being well to start into a garage conversion into a home Cinema and i was considering if instead of investing in an amp, speakers wiring etc would it be better to go with one of these types of sound bars. The space is only about 6x2.5m wide and 2.1 high so not a lot of space to fill and these sound like they'd perfectly fill my needs, my only concern is the overhead effects, obviously you'll never beat actual overhead speakers but do these things actually work and deliver a convincing overhead sound?? Or am i better simply planning for and installing a separate speaker system?

Hi I'm hoping all being well to start into a garage conversion into a home Cinema and i was considering if instead of investing in an amp, speakers wiring etc would it be better to go with one of these types of sound bars. The space is only about 6x2.5m wide and 2.1 high so not a lot of space to fill and these sound like they'd perfectly fill my needs, my only concern is the overhead effects, obviously you'll never beat actual overhead speakers but do these things actually work and deliver a convincing overhead sound?? Or am i better simply planning for and installing a separate speaker system?

The overheads are great. Have you read Steve's review, he liked them too! 😁

I would try posting in the section below:

Mine has arrived. Just getting it all set up. Pretty hefty bit of kit and the sub looks like a monster. Currently charging the surround speakers and reading up the best way to connect via ARC. Will update once I’ve got my head around it all and got it connected.

I'd recommend downloading the main manual from the JBL website. The other JBL thread has my faux pas on it:laugh:

I’m already stumped at connecting to the WiFi as I don’t seem to have the option on my iOS to add it to the network via airplay.

Didnt know there was another thread so I shall look there.

I’m already stumped at connecting to the WiFi as I don’t seem to have the option on my iOS to add it to the network via airplay.

Sorry not apple person so can't help there.

If you have your network hardware located close by, I would recommend a direct connection via Ethernet.

The absence of a Lan port on LG’s flagship soundbar(SN11RG) was a deal breaker for me, for otherwise an excellent Audio kit.

Last edited:
Atmos doesn't work over ARC on the C8.

This was from an earlier exchange on this issue. Might be best to post on the c8 forum. But I have seen this mentioned in other areas of the soundbar forum- I think it was in the Sonos Arc one.

Just finished watching Greyhound on Apple TV+ (Apple original film). Awesome movie. Being a WWII movie fanatic, this was right up my alley. Great implementation of Dolby Vision/Atmos.

A truly immersive experience with the JBL’s. The latest update has definitely made this a more balanced sounding unit.

Have a great weekend !!

Just finished watching Greyhound on Apple TV+ (Apple original film). Awesome movie. Being a WWII movie fanatic, this was right up my alley. Great implementation of Dolby Vision/Atmos.

A truly immersive experience with the JBL’s. The latest update has definitely made this a more balanced sounding unit.

Have a great weekend !!

Really want to see this film but despise Apple 😁

Really want to see this film but despise Apple 😁
Get the 7 day free trial & watch the film. Check out some other content as well, while you’re there.

Since you have an LG oled, webOS recently added the Apple TV+ app. :)

Get the 7 day free trial & watch the film. Check out some other content as well, while you’re there.

Since you have an LG oled, webOS recently added the Apple TV+ app. :)

I wish I had an LG OLED! 🤣 Middle/low end Philips here.

I wish I had an LG OLED! 🤣 Middle/low end Philips here.
Sorry, I probably mistook you for the person who was having issues with his B8 oled.

I’m a bad lurker. :D

PS: I love Phillips TV’s. Really bummed that they are not available out here anymore. :blush:

Sorry, I probably mistook you for the person who was having issues with his B8 oled.

I’m a bad lurker. :D

PS: I love Phillips TV’s. Really bummed that they are not available out here anymore. :blush:

I love Ambilight. Just waiting for their OLEDs to support eARC before upgrading.

Do not to know if to get this or Samsung Q90r could you experts advise please? :)

I have Lg C9 so i think either would go straight into the HDMI earc port and then all the other devices straight into the TV HDMI 2.1 ports to get the extra HDMI features such as VRR etc

I found out that it is the Netflix app that dont allow sending Atmos form any TV through ARC.
(A integrering text about Atmos)
I have an lg e8 and I get lossy Atmos from the Netflix tv app. You have to have the more expensive premium package though. If ARC is set to auto, you’re still passing DD+ which can carry atmos metadata. Full lossless atmos on Dolby trueHD needs eARC, but I just plug directly into my bar. Dolby Atmos on LG C8

I have the Netflix premium that plays Dolby Vision and Atmos on the C8 but only Dolby Vision with 5.1 on the JBL bar 9.1
Mabye the E8 is different, I have heard other C8 owners that can't get Atmos passtrough any more.
The "Shield trick" dosn't work for me eather, start playing on the internal speakers with Atmos and then start the soundbar, Netflix switces of Atmos...

Hi Steve, after reading as many reviews as I could about the JBL 9.1 , I felt your review was very informed and so I purchased one today. As a complete novice regarding speaker placement, should the rears when at ear height be angled in towards me? and due to my room layout and a big sub, would it be possible to place the sub next to my couch?

Great review @Steve Withers - thanks! I was spending much more than I normally would when I bought this so I'm chuffed that I made a good choice. I think it sounds great but it's good for a professional to confirm for peace of mind.

Do you have a contact at JBL who you feed back to? When Sky released HDR I contacted JBL about the lack of HLG passthrough and they said that they'd look into it.
HELP trying to set this up. apple tv connected to hdmi in on bar no picture, trying to calibrate it says calib retry. Totally frustrated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom