JBL BAR 9.1 Soundbar Review & Comments

The ARC on my TV can be temperamental so I sometimes have to change sound output to HDMI more than once?
brand-dark.svg
About our ad

Tried it loads of time, really stuck can't think what's wrong. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off my TV speakers it just automatically detects them

I even tried resetting the JBL.

Is there a way to force an update?

brand-dark.svg
About our ad

Tried it loads of time, really stuck can't think what's wrong. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off my TV speakers it just automatically detects them

I even tried resetting the JBL.

Is there a way to force an update?

Weird. Dodgy cable?

Weird. Dodgy cable?
That's what I thought, I've tried 2 cables including the HDMI cable supplied with the JBL.

Firmware version is System firmware version: 20205180 according to Google home.

That's what I thought, I've tried 2 cables including the HDMI cable supplied with the JBL.

Firmware version is System firmware version: 20205180 according to Google home.

Do you have another TV you can test the bar with?

Do you have another TV you can test the bar with?

So its not the soundbar. I used my other Samsung smart TV and played a few things and the soundbar works perfectly, even playing some of the nice Atmos demos I downloaded. Sounded very good!

So something is not right with my week old Samsung QE82Q70R TV. Off to the TV forums I go...

So its not the soundbar. I used my other Samsung smart TV and played a few things and the soundbar works perfectly, even playing some of the nice Atmos demos I downloaded. Sounded very good!

So something is not right with my week old Samsung QE82Q70R TV. Off to the TV forums I go...
Have you got the settings on the tv ok to ensure the handshake between devices.

Have you got the settings on the tv ok to ensure the handshake between devices.

The Anynet CEC thing is turned on. The funny thing is, it looks as it should work.

For example, let's say I play a Netflix movie, then if I go into the TV sound expert settings, and look at the sound output options, I can see: PCM, DD and DD+ all available to be selected.

This changes depending on what I am playing, so it's like the TV 'sees' the audio and is not outputting it to HDMI

The Anynet CEC thing is turned on. The funny thing is, it looks as it should work.

For example, let's say I play a Netflix movie, then if I go into the TV sound expert settings, and look at the sound output options, I can see: PCM, DD and DD+ all available to be selected.

This changes depending on what I am playing, so it's like the TV 'sees' the audio and is not outputting it to HDMI
On mine not a Samsung there is an option for HDMI audio format in sound and then select auto, pcm or bitstream. Anything like that.
Are the HDMI inputs in sound set correctly?
Have you tried optical as well to see if that works?
Sorry this is a bit of shots in the dark as I'm not to clued up in this also.

Ok it's finally working! I reset the TV and powered it of for ten minutes, checked the HDMI cables and it's all working as expected!

Panic over 👍👍👍

Ok it's finally working! I reset the TV and powered it of for ten minutes, checked the HDMI cables and it's all working as expected!

Panic over 👍👍👍
Looking forward to sound review 😊

Hey yall!

Well what do you know. After three years and an LG 55C6V bought thanks to the indepth review in this site, i am back for a soundbar. My go to place for real good advices :clap:

So i have been on the hunt for years now. Wifey will never like cables, our living room does really not have an easy set up (very wide L shaped, with wide open kitchen behind and very long glass windows) and i had to push for getting her approval on buying something at 800 euros. I originally thought of buyin the JBL5.1 but she got crushed by bad, veeeery bad reviews.

Steve, if you were in my shoes (demanding wife and house), would you recommend this bar over the Q90R, or any other at a similar price tag? For me, the possibility of just having the detachable speaker is a killer feature. That being said, the Q90R is at 899 euros right now at my local store (offer ends on Monday) so, hum, i am really hesitant...

Last edited:
Folks, I have been really enjoying this soundbar and it has seamlessly integrated itself, in my home cinema setup. Coming from dedicated separates, this is more than just a functional solution...imho of course.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Steve for the wonderful review. His observations are spot on.

I had a question regarding the rear speaker placement. I have them placed on some generic (flexible height) speaker stands, I found on amazon. They are positioned behind the couch, slightly angled in.

However I wanted to change the current position and bring them closer towards the sides of the couch. I was wondering if that would require another round of calibration to counter the displacement.

The manual states that you must have the speakers in the desired position for step 2 calibration. Would the displacement upset the current calibrated settings?

Have a great weekend. Cheers!!

Folks, I have been really enjoying this soundbar and it has seamlessly integrated itself, in my home cinema setup. Coming from dedicated separates, this is more than just a functional solution...imho of course.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Steve for the wonderful review. His observations are spot on.

I had a question regarding the rear speaker placement. I have them placed on some generic (flexible height) speaker stands, I found on amazon. They are positioned behind the couch, slightly angled in.

However I wanted to change the current position and bring them closer towards the sides of the couch. I was wondering if that would require another round of calibration to counter the displacement.

The manual states that you must have the speakers in the desired position for step 2 calibration. Would the displacement upset the current calibrated settings?

I would definitely say redo the calibration - the movement will effect the delay times between all speakers, & the relative volumes, all of which will change with a new position

Yes, redo the calibration. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Hey yall!

Well what do you know. After three years and an LG 55C6V bought thanks to the indepth review in this site, i am back for a soundbar. My go to place for real good advices :clap:

So i have been on the hunt for years now. Wifey will never like cables, our living room does really not have an easy set up (very wide L shaped, with wide open kitchen behind and very long glass windows) and i had to push for getting her approval on buying something at 800 euros. I originally thought of buyin the JBL5.1 but she got crushed by bad, veeeery bad reviews.

Steve, if you were in my shoes (demanding wife and house), would you recommend this bar over the Q90R, or any other at a similar price tag? For me, the possibility of just having the detachable speaker is a killer feature. That being said, the Q90R is at 899 euros right now at my local store (offer ends on Monday) so, hum, i am really hesitant...
In pure performance terms I'd get the Q90R because it's the better soundbar, especially at that price.

Hey yall!

In pure performance terms I'd get the Q90R because it's the better soundbar, especially at that price.
Just to note that the Q90R does not support Chromecast or Apple AirPlay, whereas the JBL does, if those are important to you.

I would definitely say redo the calibration - the movement will effect the delay times between all speakers, & the relative volumes, all of which will change with a new position
Thanks a lot, I will redo the calibration. Makes perfect sense.

Hey yall!

899€ is a stonking price, where are you and what store may I ask?

899€ is a stonking price, where are you and what store may I ask?

Well, it is a special promotion we have going on right now in Mediamarkt in spain (Media World outside Spain). They provide a 200€ cashback on the original price (1099).

Thanks everyone, i pulled the trigger on the q90r. I hope its worth it!

Hello. I just finished setup today. I have some questions.
1 Are rear speakers charged only docked and turn soundbar off?
2 How can I know what sound outputs playing : pcm , dd , or atmos. Can i use remote to let it show on the soundbar?
3 I have some issues because my tv ( samung ru7200) is not support eARC when switch between tv and hdmi by jbl remote , some bugs happen. My set top box is not worked properly. But may be it comes from hdmi cable , i don't know yet.
4 I think power cord for sub woofer is too short.
Above all that , sound is great but JBL should have mobile app not remote use only.
App can show some details likes rear speaker battery level , what sound output is playing
Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I'll definitely demo this before I finally choose something. The SN11 is probably top target but I can't ignore the cost saving this brings (especially with Currys 30% off deal).

By the way, last line before "Verdict", I think you mean "without distorting"
What 30% off deal is available please?

Well, it is a special promotion we have going on right now in Mediamarkt in spain (Media World outside Spain). They provide a 200€ cashback on the original price (1099).

Thanks everyone, i pulled the trigger on the q90r. I hope its worth it!

Congratulations, at that price I'd have found it very difficult to pass by myself even though I'm very close to grabbing a Sonos Arc when they come back in to stock at JL.

It's Mediamarkt in Austria and Germany too as I lived out there for a few years up until 20016 and still get emails from them now occasionally, just checked the German site and it's 1111€ on there so you've got a proper good deal there, enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom