JBL BAR 9.1 Soundbar Review & Comments

Great review by AVForums - strange that other websites are not so favourable but I am looking forward to getting mine this week from Currys (with the 30% off to go with my new TV). Downloaded a few Atmos trailers in preparation :)
I have had a nightmare with Currys and using the same deal. Ordered a TV and the bar almost 3 weeks ago and nothing. Now waiting for a refund and that will probably drag on until the first week in July.

It's not witchcraft, it's the wonderful world of object-based audio.

My lounge is orientated so it's wide but not very deep, in a narrow and deeper room the width of the JBL's front soundstage would be better suited.

Thanks Steve!

Do you reckon that might add support for HLG? I'm not bothered about HDR10+ but I have my Sky Q box plugged straight into the bar so can't watch the HDR documentaries.

Do you reckon that might add support for HLG? I'm not bothered about HDR10+ but I have my Sky Q box plugged straight into the bar so can't watch the HDR documentaries.
Since it can pass HDR10 and Dolby Vision, I can't see any reason why it couldn't be updated to pass HLG. The lack of HDR10+ passthrough is fairly common, but the absence of HLG support is unusual and doesn't make much sense when you consider the BAR 9.1 ticks so many other boxes!

Is there actually a music setting for this bar? This is the only area I feel the bar isn't as good.

Since it can pass HDR10 and Dolby Vision, I can't see any reason why it couldn't be updated to pass HLG. The lack of HDR10+ passthrough is fairly common, but the absence of HLG support is unusual and doesn't make much sense when you consider the BAR 9.1 ticks so many other boxes!

Hopefully it was just an oversight and they'll look to add it. Do you have someone at JBL you can feedback to?

Is there actually a music setting for this bar? This is the only area I feel the bar isn't as good.

If you play music through Chromecast or Airplay I think it has music EQ settings it uses. It might be worth turning smart mode off as well.

Not that I could find, the sound modes appear to be limited to Smart, Standard and Night. I agree that music isn't the BAR 9.1's strong-point, but I don't think a 5.1.4-channel soundbar is necessarily the best choice for listening to two-channel music.

Not that I could find, the sound modes appear to be limited to Smart, Standard and Night. I agree that music isn't the BAR 9.1's strong-point, but I don't think a 5.1.4-channel soundbar is necessarily the best choice for listening to two-channel music.

In general yes but many of us like me are downgrading from separates to soundbar due to lack of space for speakers. My LG SN11 does a great job with both movies and music.

Great if you have eARC, but if not 1 HDMI is poor. Always the same with soundbars, good ones are a great compromise, but even 2 HDMI in's are not.

Great if you have eARC, but if not 1 HDMI is poor. Always the same with soundbars, good ones are a great compromise, but even 2 HDMI in's are not.

You could always buy a £15 HDMI splitter from Amazon, depending on your passthrough needs. I'll probably pick one up so my Sky Q, PS4 and Chromecast can all go into the bar (via the splitter).

It's not witchcraft, it's the wonderful world of object-based audio.

My lounge is orientated so it's wide but not very deep, in a narrow and deeper room the width of the JBL's front soundstage would be better suited.
So if used in a garage conversion it would work well?

Is it me or has the world gone crazy when a £900!! Soundbar is considered 'Good value'

It's a flipping soundbar! What exactly goes into it that makes it so expensive?
I bet the manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank

Is it me or has the world gone crazy when a £900!! Soundbar is considered 'Good value'

Convenience, ease of setup and hassle free running have value. How much would a 9 channel AVR, all the speakers cost?

I had 9 speakers (all big ones). The Klipsch front speaker alone outweighs my entire LG SN11RG soundbar package. Unfortunately it was too much for the wife, so sold the whole lot minus the sub.

It's been 17 days since owning my first 7.1.4 soundbar and I have to admit it sounds as good as the separates except they very deep bass which none of these soundbar subs can reproduce. I had spent nearly £2000 on the separates and £1400 on the soundbar.

This one is all about convenience, ease of use and less cluttering without having to majorly sacrificing on the sound quality as long as your room is not big.

That and they cannot produce the separation of actual surround sounds setups.

I've got a lot of time for soundbars and I've owned a few, they're convenient, but I couldn't consider spending £900 or more on what is nothing but a compact collection of speakers and a sub.

A few years back it would be unimaginable to launch a soundbar with that kind of pricetag, and aside from so upwards firing speakers what has really changed? The formula remains the same, the prices have claimed exponentially.

Probably right, I still say the Atmos on this bar is stunning. Watch Sicario and it sounds amazing in dolby Atmos, even with the sub set to 4 it shook my walls.

I'd also recommend Bloodshot as a reference for Atmos audio, it sounds amazing and is as good as Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049 and Hacksaw Ridge for a bombastic involving soundtrack.

I'm REALLY pleased with mine, as the review says the soundbar is narrower than others but if you turn the volume up, even half way, it fills my living room with sound. Tidal also has some nice audio that sounds great and more expansive than "flat" surround sound.

The only thing I kind of dislike about the soundbar is the lack of an app as the remote is basic, but otherwise I would recommend it, I'm very happy with my purchase.

In general yes but many of us like me are downgrading from separates to soundbar due to lack of space for speakers. My LG SN11 does a great job with both movies and music.

Thats what I decided to do, I got rid of my 5.1 separates that were taking up a living room space and creating clutter and much prefer the soundbar.

In fairness the SN11 is £600 more expensive, so I'd expect it to be better. Hopefully I'll get one in for review soon.

In fairness the SN11 is £600 more expensive, so I'd expect it to be better. Hopefully I'll get one in for review soon.
My Lexus is a better car then my wife's Honda civic ;) comparing apples with ... never a honest job :D
don't have neither before i get stoned:laugh:

Would be tempting for some future time if not for the lack of inputs. I do love the compact rear Atmos speaker concept, though. Our Atmos setup does very nice, but cannot produce that "movement" factor, such as helicopters flying overhead rear to front, being just two upward firing fronts.

@Steve Withers have you ever tested any of the German Teufel speaker systems?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom