JBL Bar 5.0 Multibeam

I don't see any info on this soundbar supporting DTS, but that omission doesn't seem to have been raised as an issue, so I'm wondering whether it matters or not.

I thought it would. Many Blu-rays use DTS, and few players provide the option to convert DTS to Dolby on their audio output (and on ones that do, who knows if it's done well).

I assume this soundbar just won't work if sent DTS. The only other option, at least with my Sony 4K BD player (and believe it's the same for Panasonic), is to send PCM, which is inferior to a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream.

So seems to be a dilemma, or I'm misunderstanding something.

The audio n the discs will always include 2.0 stereo (HDMI standards require it so it s always there) and there should be a choice in the player audio menu to output something lesser - not much use if that is lesser DTS of course :)

The soundbar will get audio and play it - 2.0 stereo at a minimum and many soundbars can play with that to add pseudo surround.

I think there must be a licence cost issue for DTS or industry has mostly plumped for Dolby based audio given ATMOS is the next big thing. Only pay the Dolby licence. Sort of Betamax versus VHS in the audio world :)

The audio n the discs will always include 2.0 stereo (HDMI standards require it so it s always there) and there should be a choice in the player audio menu to output something lesser - not much use if that is lesser DTS of course :)
Had me scratching my head, as a lot of my Blu-ray discs are DTS only, at least for the main audio. Seems the only requirement is for the disc's primary audio track to be in one of the three formats for which player support is mandatory (PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS). In practice, I find where there's a DTS track, and a bunch of Dolby 5.1/2.0 tracks, the latter will very often just be foreign language, director's commentary or audio description, rather than a different encode of the main track.

Anyway, now I'm feeling like a bit of a dinosaur for bringing up DTS and Blu-ray players :) Anyone here using those primitive technologies with this soundbar? Any noticable difference between Dolby and DTS discs (especially for speech) and what's your audio output setting on the player?

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help,

Have been looking at the JBL 5.0 Multibeam (£249) and the Sonos Beam Gen 2 (£449),

I have read reports of the Sonos Beam Gen 2 having lip sync issues with Sky Q.

Do any of you who have the JBL 5.0 Multibeam have any lip sync issues with Sky Q?

Thanks very much for any guidance on this.

Hi all. Joined solely for this thread - thanks to all that have contributed. I:m considering this soundbar though would be keen to hear some 'real world' thoughts now it's been out a while. Has there been further firmware updates? Is dialogue still an issue for some? It's currently at £249 in the UK so a lot cheaper than Beam Gen 2 etc. Thanks

I bought the sound bar yesterday does sound nice and bass is superb but absolutely no control over anything the action scenes are too loud when volume is low and voices are clear but constantly having to change volume. Tried wit Arc and optical but still the same. 🙈 will have to returns. If you can have it constantly loud and all guns blazing this is for you for £250 is brilliant but no control what so ever shame really. Very good quality

I bought the sound bar yesterday does sound nice and bass is superb but absolutely no control over anything the action scenes are too loud when volume is low and voices are clear but constantly having to change volume. Tried wit Arc and optical but still the same. 🙈 will have to returns. If you can have it constantly loud and all guns blazing this is for you for £250 is brilliant but no control what so ever shame really. Very good quality
There are a couple of options to adjust base and night mode. Night mode balances everything out well. Have you calibrated it too as that made a massive difference for me.

Yeah bass I have adjusted , night mode ? I have calibrated it 3 time they all sound the same tbh. It is a decent bit of kit but it don’t like the difference between pcm, DD and DD+ (Atmos) constantly adjusting the volume🙈 optical levels it out a title and have no issue with active stereo speakers through optical. TV is Sony 55xf9005

Yeah bass I have adjusted , night mode ? I have calibrated it 3 time they all sound the same tbh. It is a decent bit of kit but it don’t like the difference between pcm, DD and DD+ (Atmos) constantly adjusting the volume🙈 optical levels it out a title and have no issue with active stereo speakers through optical. TV is Sony 55xf9005
If you press the mute button for 6 seconds and then '-' (minus volume) it puts night mode on. Repeat to turn off.

Hi all,
Just brought JBL 5.0 from Amazon warehouse. Got it for 186 ,and it was in immaculate condition.so far happy about the product. I was able to connect it with Google home and do an update.but will it update JBL firmware too or just the chrome cast?

Hi all,
Just brought JBL 5.0 from Amazon warehouse. Got it for 186 ,and it was in immaculate condition.so far happy about the product. I was able to connect it with Google home and do an update.but will it update JBL firmware too or just the chrome cast?
It will update the JBL firmware though when I first plugged mine in the update didn't install for a couple of hours.

If you press the mute button for 6 seconds and then '-' (minus volume) it puts night mode on. Repeat to turn off.
Never knew this, is this a new feature? Just had a look at manual and can’t see it mentioned either.

Do you have to use the original remote, or can you do it from the actual soundbar as I don’t use the remote, just use my Tv box remote.

What it does actually do and does it work?

Thanks

Never knew this, is this a new feature? Just had a look at manual and can’t see it mentioned either.

Do you have to use the original remote, or can you do it from the actual soundbar as I don’t use the remote, just use my Tv box remote.

What it does actually do and does it work?

Thanks
I found a manual online (and mentioned in some YouTube review videos). Night mode compresses the audio so there's less of a difference between loud and quieter sounds. It has to be done with the JBL remote as far as I know.

I found a manual online (and mentioned in some YouTube review videos). Night mode compresses the audio so there's less of a difference between loud and quieter sounds. It has to be done with the JBL remote as far as I know.
Looked again and downloaded manual from JBL UK site and no mention of it, could you point me to a manual please that tell you about it.
just activated the night mode will give it a test thanks 👍👍
Did you use the remote or can you use the buttons on the soundbar itself? Does it tell you you are in night node?

Looked again and downloaded manual from JBL UK site and no mention of it, could you point me to a manual please that tell you about it.

Did you use the remote or can you use the buttons on the soundbar itself? Does it tell you you are in night node?
Night mode mentioned here. Might be where I saw it originally though I thought it was in some other documentation. JBL Bar 5.0 MultiBeam, analysis and opinion

Night mode mentioned here. Might be where I saw it originally though I thought it was in some other documentation. JBL Bar 5.0 MultiBeam, analysis and opinion
I also randomly found an option to turn ADB (?) off last night by pressing the Atmos button for 5 seconds and then the '-' button. Not sure what that does. Mine changed to 'off' when I did it so turned it back on

Hello, newbie to the forum here. I have just purchased this soundbar, and have a question that I've not seen an answer to. I have a Sony UPB X700 UHD Blu Ray player, with Sony A9 TV, and the JBL Multibeam. I have the Soundbar connected to the TV via eARC, then the Blu ray player connected to the TV. Both with High speed HDMI with ethernet cables.
When I play a Dolby Atmos disc, there is no option showing as Dolby Atmos only Dolby TruHD 7.1. Is this normal, when I turn on Dolby Atmos on the soundbar this doesn't make any difference. I have been through all the setting options on the Blu ray and TV and appear to have everything set up correctly, but wondered if this is normal.

Back to bring up the stupid "Chromecast, Airplay Ready" message scrolling all the time... I surely can't be the only person it does it for, thought **** it and disconnected it from WiFi, then you get a pissing message telling you to "Setup WiFi" the thing just won't stop scrolling messages at me 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Have you tried linking the bluray player directly to the soundbar to see if that makes a difference?

Back to bring up the stupid "Chromecast, Airplay Ready" message scrolling all the time... I surely can't be the only person it does it for, thought **** it and disconnected it from WiFi, then you get a pissing message telling you to "Setup WiFi" the thing just won't stop scrolling messages at me 😂🤦🏻‍♂️
Not had this at all. How long have you owned the bar? When I first got mine it did a couple of updates (Chromecast and then JBL firmware) then it's just stayed connected. Can you exchange the unit?

Hello guys I'm new here. I just joined to ask if anyone else has had the problem of not being able to adjust bass levels with the remote and if they found a solution for this. I also cannot enable night mode on my unit. Everything else is working fine though.

Hello guys I'm new here. I just joined to ask if anyone else has had the problem of not being able to adjust bass levels with the remote and if they found a solution for this. I also cannot enable night mode on my unit. Everything else is working fine though.
I have not experienced this problem, however my soundbar does not indicate that it is making the adjustment until after I have pressed the +/- button, it confused me first time as I was expecting an indication that I was in adjustment mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom