JBL Bar 5.0 Multibeam

Hi,
thanks a lot GRS67 for you answer; today I bought this soundbar thanks to your advice and thanks this thread and... wow !!! I must say that I am very satisfied and first of all connected via airplay (the update started immediately) I have to say it sounds very good, I'm surprised for the sound quality.
Unfortunately I listened only two films with dolby atmos audio in Italian but for now I am very, very happy. In the weekend I hope to have more time to test the soundbar better
Hi Marco That's good to hear, I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much. 👍

Last edited:
Good to hear. Are you on the latest patch and done the room calibration? And Atmos content in Netflix sounds balanced between dialogue and action scenes sound effects?
Room calibration is very important, it was the first thing had did

OTA updates will be delivered as the bar is always conn to the WiFi

I don't have Netflix Premium but Atmos sounds great on Amazon and I have a collection of blu ray /UHD discs with Atmos that take the 5.0 Soundbar to a different level!

Looks like this unit has been discontinued - no longer on the JBL (Australia) site, and retailers who have it in stock have dropped the price by $125.

Looks like this unit has been discontinued - no longer on the JBL (Australia) site, and retailers who have it in stock have dropped the price by $125.
You sure you have the right product?

It's certainly not been discontinued, it was only released in February /March!

Managed to get this for £269 with extra 10% off for first purchase, so really happy.
I have a Sony XH9005, do I need to buy a HDMI 2.1 cable for the full benefits of Dolby Atmos?

That's a very nice price!

Also noticed a few new reviews up. Toms Guide, Rtings...

Managed to get this for £269 with extra 10% off for first purchase, so really happy.
I have a Sony XH9005, do I need to buy a HDMI 2.1 cable for the full benefits of Dolby Atmos?
IMO That's pretty poor of JBL to reduce their price of the 5.0 so quickly.

It was released in February but only started shipping in early March, to drop the price from £349 to £299 in less than 3 months is a bit sh&t if you ask me!

Not sure if this is standard practice for JBL but it could be that sales have been poor.

I'd expect a price drop but not less than 3 months after release!

Last edited:
You need eARC, standard 2.0 cable will do the job. If you don't have eARC you won't be able to receive Atmos

I got it on the JBL website. It was reduced to £300, then I had a 10% sign up code which reduced it further.
Yep I saw its dropped to £299 from £359

I also got the 10% discount, paid £319
.I'm going to email JBL and ask them if its standard practice to reduce items by £50 after less than 3 months!

Managed to pick one of these up recently reduced at Currys and with a Blue Light discount on top knocked a hefty amount off the RRP bringing it down to just over 265 delivered and made my mind up over the Sonos Beam which ive been looking at for a while but was out of stock until the end of the month.

Really enjoying it so far and very happy with performance over my old LG soundbar.

I have developed an issue today where I'm getting the Chromecast, Airplay ready message showing every couple of minutes on the display. Anyone else suffering from this or found a way to turn this off? It's really distracting

Managed to pick one of these up recently reduced at Currys and with a Blue Light discount on top knocked a hefty amount off the RRP bringing it down to just over 265 delivered and made my mind up over the Sonos Beam which ive been looking at for a while but was out of stock until the end of the month.

Really enjoying it so far and very happy with performance over my old LG soundbar.

I have developed an issue today where I'm getting the Chromecast, Airplay ready message showing every couple of minutes on the display. Anyone else suffering from this or found a way to turn this off? It's really distracting
Others have had a similar issue,, have a look back over previous posts to see what you can find.

I've had it happen but never ongoing, others have been unable to get rid of it without resetting

I have been looking to buy this bar in a few months when I get a new tv. I have checked the reviews everywhere and on the whole they seem positive. I was a little put off by the Rtings comparison review against the Sony htg 700. They scored that higher , seeming to me that the Sony bar had sligh5ly better audio and settings. Can anyone comment on what it is like in the real world when watch streamed content, sky Q etc? My room is not huge and we will be sitting about 4 m away from it and the screen, will it give us good virtual sound and clear dialogue? it just seems so small compared to the longer old Samsung bar I currently have!

Considering purchasing this for a 2016 49” Sony TV. will be used with Sky Q (Mini) and built-in streaming apps so appreciate I won’t be making the most of it, but still appears to be best “all-in-one” bang-for-buck right now.

There also appears to be a sale on the JBL site bringing this down to £255 which looks like the best price out there, but wondering if anyone has any other retailer recommendations? Thanks!

Have taken the plunge via JBL site. Managed to get it for £227 which is as good as I can hope for. Many thanks to those on here posting about their experiences, that really helped me make this choice.

Aye it still does it every now any again, can't find any link to what makes it do it, hopefully it will stop at some point with a firmware update...

Have taken the plunge via JBL site. Managed to get it for £227 which is as good as I can hope for. Many thanks to those on here posting about their experiences, that really helped me make this choice.
How did you get it down to £227?

How did you get it down to £227?
UniDays discount code against the £284 sale price.

Quick update now that I have it: Massive improvement over TV speakers (obviously); impressed with pseudo surround effect in my small room; bass is full and more than enough for casual viewing; Alexa multi device and Airplay compatibility is a nice bonus with better than expected music playback; pleased by its unobtrusive size; overall happy with the performance (so far).

Only reservation was the 1 day wasted failing to get it working with audio over HDMI ARC only to have it resolved on day 2 with the arrival of a £4 HDMI 2.1 cable. Can’t believe it was not compatible with the cable JBL shipped. Had read online about similar experiences but thought JBL would have included an updated cable by now, but no.

UniDays discount code against the £284 sale price.

Quick update now that I have it: Massive improvement over TV speakers (obviously); impressed with pseudo surround effect in my small room; bass is full and more than enough for casual viewing; Alexa multi device and Airplay compatibility is a nice bonus with better than expected music playback; pleased by its unobtrusive size; overall happy with the performance (so far).

Only reservation was the 1 day wasted failing to get it working with audio over HDMI ARC only to have it resolved on day 2 with the arrival of a £4 HDMI 2.1 cable. Can’t believe it was not compatible with the cable JBL shipped. Had read online about similar experiences but thought JBL would have included an updated cable by now, but no.
That's strange, I had no issues with the cable included, connected to my eARC HDMI port and worked fine.

Do you not have a eARC HDMI port on your TV?

Unfortunately you may not be able to receive 'Virtual Atmos' unless you have this.

That's strange, I had no issues with the cable included, connected to my eARC HDMI port and worked fine.

Unfortunately you may not be able to receive 'Virtual Atmos' unless you have this.
Think the Atmos depends on how it is delivered. If it's via DD+ it seems to work fine via ARC.

Same, I used the bundled cable and eARC Atmos works fine from my LG CX and Xbox Series X...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom