JBL Bar 5.0 Multibeam

GRS67

Ha ha no idea, auto correct without checking…. Corrected now

“Toggled to TV speakers and back to Soundbar”
Ah OK lol, how's it been since turning off from the mains?

You may recall I posted an issue with the Bar losing sound when changing volume, in the end I had to switch off from the mains and let it reload since then I've not had the issue, if it returns I'll do the same.

mike02466

Novice Member
Correct 👍the PS4 will play perfectly through the soundbar via the HDMI on your TV.

Can your cable box can stream in 4K? If so I would have it connected via the HDMI IN via the soundbar as it's capable of 4K Pass Through.

I have my UHD Blu Ray Player connected to HDMI IN via the Bar and PS4 via HDMI on my TV and this set up works fine.
Thanks for the help.

mike02466

Novice Member
No worries let me know how you get on with it 👍
LOL, thought I sent that the other day. Apparently not. Actually, it's not going well at all. Started the initial set up last night using the Google home app. Seemed to be going well. Was able to play music through chromecast just fine. However, I can't get tv to work at all. No video signal at all when soundbar displays tv mode. My tv is a 10 year old panasonic, not sure if that is an issue since I believe Arc was relatively new back then. I've made sure Viera Link is turned on in the tv menu so Arc should be activated. I just ordered a new hdmi cable on the chance that the one going from the cable box to the soundbar is outdated. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

GRS67

LOL, thought I sent that the other day. Apparently not. Actually, it's not going well at all. Started the initial set up last night using the Google home app. Seemed to be going well. Was able to play music through chromecast just fine. However, I can't get tv to work at all. No video signal at all when soundbar displays tv mode. My tv is a 10 year old panasonic, not sure if that is an issue since I believe Arc was relatively new back then. I've made sure Viera Link is turned on in the tv menu so Arc should be activated. I just ordered a new hdmi cable on the chance that the one going from the cable box to the soundbar is outdated. Other than that, I'm at a loss.
Sounds very much like a issue with the TV.

Have you checked the expert settings for sound on your TV?

You'll want to make sure you have at the very least ARC HDMI

If your TV doesn't have eARC you're not going to be able to get the 'Virtual Atmos' feature to work.

Other than upgrading your TV you may possibly want to even look at returning your Soundbar and getting something a little less technically advanced which doesn't need to take advantage of
eARC as if you can't fully get the best possible sound of it then is it the right Soundbar for you?

mike02466

Novice Member
So, after an error on my part, I was able to finally get video and things for the most part seem to work ok. However I do have a couple of issues. First, after setting everything up, my tv remote controls all the basics except when I turn the tv off, the soundbar stays on. Which seems weird because when I turn the tv on, the soundbar comes on with it. Second, I tried watching Mortal Kombat through HBO Max to test Dolby Atmos. Only way I can describe it is it sounded muffled. Again my tv is older so only using Arc as opposed to Earc. Not sure how much that changes things. Lastly, is there any way to force a firmware update? I checked my bar to see which update version it's on and it's not the latest one. I'm connected to wifi through Google home, yet I never got the latest update. Is there any way to force an update besides through a usb thumb drive? Curious if the update will help me out with some of my issues.

GRS67

So, after an error on my part, I was able to finally get video and things for the most part seem to work ok. However I do have a couple of issues. First, after setting everything up, my tv remote controls all the basics except when I turn the tv off, the soundbar stays on. Which seems weird because when I turn the tv on, the soundbar comes on with it. Second, I tried watching Mortal Kombat through HBO Max to test Dolby Atmos. Only way I can describe it is it sounded muffled. Again my tv is older so only using Arc as opposed to Earc. Not sure how much that changes things. Lastly, is there any way to force a firmware update? I checked my bar to see which update version it's on and it's not the latest one. I'm connected to wifi through Google home, yet I never got the latest update. Is there any way to force an update besides through a usb thumb drive? Curious if the update will help me out with some of my issues.
You won't get Virtual Atmos, your TV doesn't have eARC, unless you update your TV you won't get it using ARC

The Soundbsr goes into Standby mode when the TV is switched off

If you're connected via Wi-Fi you'll receive any updates automatically

How have you checked for the latest firmware updates?

All your issues are likely because your TV is too old and you don't have the correct connection eARC

megagold5

You won't get Virtual Atmos, your TV doesn't have eARC, unless you update your TV you won't get it using ARC

All your issues are likely because your TV is too old and you don't have the correct connection eARC
Interestingly, despite only having ARC, mine does claim to be recieving Atmos when supported on Netflix - I am guessing this is just a matter of input format being displayed, but Netflix do some wild stuff with compression.

GRS67

Interestingly, despite only having ARC, mine does claim to be recieving Atmos when supported on Netflix - I am guessing this is just a matter of input format being displayed, but Netflix do some wild stuff with compression.
Unless you have eARC there's absolutely no way you'll be getting Virtual Atmos regardless of what is displayed on the bar.

I don't have Netflix Atmos content, I do with Prime and from my experience 'Prime' offers the best sound quality especially on it's own shows.

I'm surprised by the number of people who have purchased the 5.0 soundbar but don't have eARC enabled TV.

mike02466

Novice Member

I found this file inside the update file on the JBL website. Explains how to check your update version. Mine for example is 21.11. 53.70. Although it seems strange to me that this is supposed to be the latest update, yet its dated in January. When I know I've seen others in this thread mention getting an OTA update a month or so ago. Also, when I shut my tv off, soundbar doesn't go off with it, nor does it go into standby mode. It stays running as I can still hear the show I was watching

Attachments

• Harman Software Upgrade Procedure [Bar 5.0 MultiBeam v1.0].pdf
    503.5 KB · Views: 100

megagold5

Unless you have eARC there's absolutely no way you'll be getting Virtual Atmos regardless of what is displayed on the bar.

I don't have Netflix Atmos content, I do with Prime and from my experience 'Prime' offers the best sound quality especially on it's own shows.

I'm surprised by the number of people who have purchased the 5.0 soundbar but don't have eARC enabled TV.
I have been doing a bit of googling around that one and as far as I can tell, Atmos can be sent via ARC in a lossy format such as Dolby Digital+, which is how Netflix sends it out. Its not the full-fat lossless experience you get with TrueHD though.

megagold5

I found this file inside the update file on the JBL website. Explains how to check your update version. Mine for example is 21.11. 53.70. Although it seems strange to me that this is supposed to be the latest update, yet its dated in January. When I know I've seen others in this thread mention getting an OTA update a month or so ago. Also, when I shut my tv off, soundbar doesn't go off with it, nor does it go into standby mode. It stays running as I can still hear the show I was watching
Hmm. Despite mine doing an OTA update when I first got it a couple of months ago, looks like I am also on 21.11.53.70.....Interesting. I thought I had checked it against the newer version number at the time..

mike02466

Novice Member
Hmm. Despite mine doing an OTA update when I first got it a couple of months ago, looks like I am also on 21.11.53.70.....Interesting. I thought I had checked it against the newer version number at the time..
I'm gonna reach out to JBL and see what they say. Supposedly, I'm connected via WiFi since the soundbar is listed in my Google home app after doing initial setup. Yet I never got an OTA for an update. But the soundbar was just released here in the U.S. on May 1st, yet the release notes on this update file are dated January. Definitely don't want to manually update with an old version. If that's even possible. Wish I knew a little more about these things. LOL

megagold5

I'm gonna reach out to JBL and see what they say. Supposedly, I'm connected via WiFi since the soundbar is listed in my Google home app after doing initial setup. Yet I never got an OTA for an update. But the soundbar was just released here in the U.S. on May 1st, yet the release notes on this update file are dated January. Definitely don't want to manually update with an old version. If that's even possible. Wish I knew a little more about these things. LOL
I'd certainly be interested to hear if you get anything back. Might give it a go on the manual update this evening anyways - Not that I am having any specific issues mind.

mike02466

Novice Member
I'd certainly be interested to hear if you get anything back. Might give it a go on the manual update this evening anyways - Not that I am having any specific issues mind.
They said they'd email me back within 24 hours. I'll definitely post an update. The date of the"latest" update is the only thing putting me off from manually doing it as well. Not sure if you can downgrade the firmware, but I know I don't want to find out the hard way. Gonna wait til I hear back from them.

gregstinson

I haven't noticed any OTA update since I first switched it on, mine still says I am on 21.11.53.70 too🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, the bloody Chromecast Airplay Ready message is back at the moment, cannot get rid of it, even by pulling the plug 🤦🏻‍♂️

mike02466

Novice Member
Finally heard back from JBL. The rep confirmed that the update on the website is in fact the most recent update. Didn't have an answer for me as to why it's dated in January. Said to only update if you're having issues. Which seems strange to me as I always thought the most recent is the best. Anyways, I'll be giving it a shot tonight after work or tomorrow.

MarcoD

Hi, I'm Marco from Genova
I have read many threads (I registered just now...) in this forum to try to understand as much as possible because don't know much abount soundbars....
I really like the JBL brand I still have two speakers for about 15 years and they still sound very good .... so I'm here to ask you how this soundbar sound?? Do you think that I can have a better sound than my tv...I have a LG oled 55 Cx with hdmi 2.1 and earc so I think that the tv is ok.

I really like that it is compatible with airplay and since I have an apple music subscription so I'd like to use it for music too
Do you recommend the purchase for a small room?
Thanks a lot for your help sorry for my english...

GRS67

Finally heard back from JBL. The rep confirmed that the update on the website is in fact the most recent update. Didn't have an answer for me as to why it's dated in January. Said to only update if you're having issues. Which seems strange to me as I always thought the most recent is the best. Anyways, I'll be giving it a shot tonight after work or tomorrow.
Hi, I'm Marco from Genova
I have read many threads (I registered just now...) in this forum to try to understand as much as possible because don't know much abount soundbars....
I really like the JBL brand I still have two speakers for about 15 years and they still sound very good .... so I'm here to ask you how this soundbar sound?? Do you think that I can have a better sound than my tv...I have a LG oled 55 Cx with hdmi 2.1 and earc so I think that the tv is ok.

I really like that it is compatible with airplay and since I have an apple music subscription so I'd like to use it for music too
Do you recommend the purchase for a small room?
Thanks a lot for your help sorry for my english...
Hi Marco

You will definitely get a far superior sound with the Soundbar than your TV built in speakers

If you have eARC you'll be able to enjoy Virtual Atmos which will sound fantastic.

It's perfect for a small living room as well as larger, you'll be surprised just how much sound it'll deliver

Echoing

Novice Member

Fresh Toms Guide review seems to confirm the very weak dialogue/center channel performance few here have been experiencing and the lack of eq or dialogue boost. Hopefully JBL can address this with a software patch.

GRS67

Fresh Toms Guide review seems to confirm the very weak dialogue/center channel performance few here have been experiencing and the lack of eq or dialogue boost. Hopefully JBL can address this with a software patch.
Depends on the source material but I've found the centre channel speaker to be excellent

I tend to only need the volume level no higher than 15 and it delivers clear crisp dialogue

Of course there are times a certain TV broadcast or movie where dialogue gets lost somewhat but that's more to do with the soundtrack than the soundbar.

gregstinson

You manage to get the update to work via USB? Mine just keeps saying USB Error at me... Have ordered another stick...

mike02466

Novice Member
You manage to get the update to work via USB? Mine just keeps saying USB Error at me... Have ordered another stick...
I got it to install fine, but the next day it did an OTA and reverted back to the previous. Installed again and did the same thing the next day. Just talked to someone about it and they think it may be a problem on their end. Kinda like the newest update isn't available as an OTA, so it keeps reverting back to the newest available OTA, which happens to be the previous one. If that makes any sense. LOL This is one of the reasons I hate dealing with brand new products before they work out the kinks. I'm hopeful it will all work out.

MarcoD

Hi,
thanks a lot GRS67 for you answer; today I bought this soundbar thanks to your advice and thanks this thread and... wow !!! I must say that I am very satisfied and first of all connected via airplay (the update started immediately) I have to say it sounds very good, I'm surprised for the sound quality.
Unfortunately I listened only two films with dolby atmos audio in Italian but for now I am very, very happy. In the weekend I hope to have more time to test the soundbar better

Echoing

Novice Member
Depends on the source material but I've found the centre channel speaker to be excellent

I tend to only need the volume level no higher than 15 and it delivers clear crisp dialogue

Of course there are times a certain TV broadcast or movie where dialogue gets lost somewhat but that's more to do with the soundtrack than the soundbar.
Good to hear. Are you on the latest patch and done the room calibration? And Atmos content in Netflix sounds balanced between dialogue and action scenes sound effects?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton