JBL Bar 5.0 Multibeam

GRS67

Think the Atmos depends on how it is delivered. If it's via DD+ it seems to work fine via ARC.
To get the 'Virtual Atmos' ideally you want to be playing something with the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio codec

Sure you you'll get 'Atmos "from Netflix /Prime selected content but in my experience to get the best out of the Bar 5.0, you want to be playing a 4K UHD disc.

Obviously this is just personal experience and I have my UHD player connected to my Soundbar

That's good if you can get "Atmos" without e you eARC as it does say to get the best experience you need that connection on your TV

CraigR80

Novice Member
I have just bought the JBL 5.0 and I can’t for the life of me get it to connect to Airplay via WiFi. The sound bar is recognised as an unsecured network but it doesn’t appear as an AirPlay speaker to connect to in the WiFi settings. I have followed all of the connection instructions in the manual to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue or can tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks

ezerez

Novice Member
I have just bought the JBL 5.0 and I can’t for the life of me get it to connect to Airplay via WiFi. The sound bar is recognised as an unsecured network but it doesn’t appear as an AirPlay speaker to connect to in the WiFi settings. I have followed all of the connection instructions in the manual to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue or can tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks
I Had the same problem. Seems the bar needs an update before it works. I setup the chromecast with the google home app and after it knew the wifi through that it did an update and then I could setup the airplay like described in the manual. You could also get the latest firmware from the website and put it on a usb to update.

CraigR80

Novice Member
Many thanks, I’ll try the Chromecast method as I’m still trying to get the firmware on to a USB which they haven’t made easy as everything is on a zip file.

CraigR80

Novice Member
Update. After downloading the firmware update, this is now not recognised on the soundbar. Considering a refund unless customer services can resolve.

gregstinson

Update. After downloading the firmware update, this is now not recognised on the soundbar. Considering a refund unless customer services can resolve.
I had to buy a new USB stick to get the Firware Update to work via that method, none of the one's I had would be recognised by the bar... If that's what you mean...

CraigR80

Novice Member
All sorted now. Had to format the usb and leave the update files unzippped on the drive rather than unzip them first and the update worked. It no picks up the soundbar as an Airplay speaker

hgee

Hi
I would appreciate some advice about firmware updates; checking my device I have
MTK 21.4.54.70 and the latest firmware available is 21.21.41.70 so I guess it is an update as
21.21 "beats" 21.4?
What does MTK mean? I also saw MCU 21.4.5.2 - no idea what this is!

Changing the subject , I feel that the bar should have a "dialogue enhancer" feature as speech in Dolby surround can be really low at times ( I watched movie Wind River the other day and found the dialogue barely audible throughout but the effects were booming ; I know the way the sound is mastered can be responsible)
So I fired an email to JBL suggesting this feature is added if possible to boost centre channel and
got a reply thanking me and offering 15% off a purchase which is nice but no use to me!
If others agree then if as many people as possible also ask for this feature then maybe they will do something about it!

Iand101

Standard Member
Hi
I would appreciate some advice about firmware updates; checking my device I have
MTK 21.4.54.70 and the latest firmware available is 21.21.41.70 so I guess it is an update as
21.21 "beats" 21.4?
What does MTK mean? I also saw MCU 21.4.5.2 - no idea what this is!

Changing the subject , I feel that the bar should have a "dialogue enhancer" feature as speech in Dolby surround can be really low at times ( I watched movie Wind River the other day and found the dialogue barely audible throughout but the effects were booming ; I know the way the sound is mastered can be responsible)
So I fired an email to JBL suggesting this feature is added if possible to boost centre channel and
got a reply thanking me and offering 15% off a purchase which is nice but no use to me!
If others agree then if as many people as possible also ask for this feature then maybe they will do something about it!
Can't help with the update in afraid ,but can possibly with the dialogue.
Personally I've never had an issue with it however I have managed to boost it by adjusting the TV settings.
Unlike other bars I've had ,the JBL responds really well to changes within the TV settings. On my Sony I've just chosen the dialogue audio setting and the JBL works with it .
I find the balance on the JBL generally a lot better than the sonos. It requires no adjustment between regular TV and film.

hgee

Can't help with the update in afraid ,but can possibly with the dialogue.
Personally I've never had an issue with it however I have managed to boost it by adjusting the TV settings.
Unlike other bars I've had ,the JBL responds really well to changes within the TV settings. On my Sony I've just chosen the dialogue audio setting and the JBL works with it .
I find the balance on the JBL generally a lot better than the sonos. It requires no adjustment between regular TV and film.
Hi land101
I didnt think changing TV sound settings would affect the JBL ; I say that because I have the Sony A9S and I have to change from TV speakers to Audio system ( or similar) to get the JBL working
in the sound output menu
So you are saying I can go to the sound mode on the TV after switching to Audio system and it will affect the JBL?
Interesting , I will try it . Cheers

Iand101

Standard Member
Hi land101
I didnt think changing TV sound settings would affect the JBL ; I say that because I have the Sony A9S and I have to change from TV speakers to Audio system ( or similar) to get the JBL working
in the sound output menu
So you are saying I can go to the sound mode on the TV after switching to Audio system and it will affect the JBL?
Interesting , I will try it . Cheers
Yep, we have the Sony xh95 and in the sound menu, even with the output set to audio system, you have basic control of the presets like dialogue etc etc. Definitely works and makes a difference on our set-up, can't see why it wouldn't on yours. Finger crossed.

hgee

Yep, we have the Sony xh95 and in the sound menu, even with the output set to audio system, you have basic control of the presets like dialogue etc etc. Definitely works and makes a difference on our set-up, can't see why it wouldn't on yours. Finger crossed.
Thanks for that ; I will post later after trying it!

hgee

Hi
I tried every combo of settings I could think of to get the JBL to respond to changes in the TV sound mode with no luck!
1/ change TV audio output Auto 1 / 2 / PCM ( JBL connected via eARC HDMI3)
2/change Humax Aura PVR audio output - choice of 4 ( connected via HDMI2)
3/change from Humax source on TV to TV source
The JBL did not respond to any changes

I would be interested to know your audio settings for TV/PVR audio land101!

waynedance

Standard Member
Hi folks please help on settings.

Got an LG Oled, I have changed settings to arc and enabled earc. Should pass through setting be selected?

imxrobbo

Standard Member
Sorry just to clarify something. I’ve read someone say in this thread that you can’t play Atmos unless you have earc. Are you sure this is correct as surely you can connect say a fire tv stick into the hdmi in port on the sound bar and just pass through the video to the tv without earc?

outoftheknow

I’ve read someone say in this thread that you can’t play Atmos unless you have earc. Are you sure this is correct
Not entirely correct. EARC is required for getting lossless compressed Dolby True HD codec (7.1) from TV to soundbar. Lossy compressed Dolby Digital Plus codec (5.1) is the maximum that can be sent over ARC.

ATMOS is attached to those codecs so it is true you can’t get “full fat” ATMOS over ARC.

imxrobbo

Standard Member
Not entirely correct. EARC is required for getting lossless compressed Dolby True HD codec (7.1) from TV to soundbar. Lossy compressed Dolby Digital Plus codec (5.1) is the maximum that can be sent over ARC.

ATMOS is attached to those codecs so it is true you can’t get “full fat” ATMOS over ARC.
Okay thanks for explaining that. So technically you will still get atmos from this sound bar without earc if a compatible atmos device is plugged into the sound bar, just not the “proper” atmos?

I think most people looking to buy this sound bar are not gonna be too bothered about getting true atmos, as the sound bar won’t make proper use of it anyway with no up firing speakers etc.

Just wanted to clarify as to anyone reading previous comments on this thread would think they need an earc tv which isn’t entirely correct information.

Not here to moan haha just wanted to clear that up so both me and other potential buyers aren’t put off incorrectly.

outoftheknow

just not the “proper” atmos?

I think most people looking to buy this sound bar are not gonna be too bothered about getting true atmos,
Yes - to be clear though

ARC can carry Dolby Digital Plus. A lossy compressed codec which is 6 channels. Or 6 channels of LPCM which is uncompressed data.

eARC can carry Dolby True HD. A lossless compressed codec which is 8 channels. Or 8 channels of LPCM which is uncompressed data.

Atmos height channels can be added to either of those Dolby codecs. It is always “real Atmos“. The Atmos height channels can also be added to LPCM but that can be another issue for sou dears being able to play the sounds - or related to the return channel capabilities though.

I think most users will struggle to hear a difference between DD + and Dolby True HD but that is the difference to start with - the Atmos channels are the same but presumably there will be differences depending on how the height channels are processed and sent to the different speakers.

Almost all users will hear a difference between LPCM 5.1 and DD+, or LPCM 7.1 and Dolby True HD. Most will hear the pure uncompressed data as being “flat”. Dolby (and DTS) are codecs that don’t just compress the data - they manipulate it to “sound better” to the majority of listeners.

Bottom line is with ARC you will hear Atmos. It is attached to 6 lossy compressed channels but it is Atmos. With eARC you will hear Atmos. It is attached to 8 lossless compressed channels but it is Atmos.

Dont get hung up feeling inferior if you have ARC :)

imxrobbo

Standard Member
Yes - to be clear though

ARC can carry Dolby Digital Plus. A lossy compressed codec which is 6 channels. Or 6 channels of LPCM which is uncompressed data.

eARC can carry Dolby True HD. A lossless compressed codec which is 8 channels. Or 8 channels of LPCM which is uncompressed data.

Atmos height channels can be added to either of those Dolby codecs. It is always “real Atmos“. The Atmos height channels can also be added to LPCM but that can be another issue for sou dears being able to play the sounds - or related to the return channel capabilities though.

I think most users will struggle to hear a difference between DD + and Dolby True HD but that is the difference to start with - the Atmos channels are the same but presumably there will be differences depending on how the height channels are processed and sent to the different speakers.

Almost all users will hear a difference between LPCM 5.1 and DD+, or LPCM 7.1 and Dolby True HD. Most will hear the pure uncompressed data as being “flat”. Dolby (and DTS) are codecs that don’t just compress the data - they manipulate it to “sound better” to the majority of listeners.

Bottom line is with ARC you will hear Atmos. It is attached to 6 lossy compressed channels but it is Atmos. With eARC you will hear Atmos. It is attached to 8 lossless compressed channels but it is Atmos.

Dont get hung up feeling inferior if you have ARC :)

Thanks for the write up :) After much research I have actually decided to buy one and set it up last night.

I think the sound is very well balanced and you can definitely hear effects well out to the sides of the room which I love.

I do have a slight niggle though in regards to atmos which I know after reading this thread a few others seemed to have. Basically I have this bar connected to a 1080p tv (no earc just arc), but I have a FireTV 4K stick plugged into the hdmi input on the back of the bar.

I can only for the life of me get Surround DD+ Show up on the bar and within Netflix, Disney+ apps next to the movies they all just show 5.1 sound not atmos.

Surely with the fire tv stick plugged directly into the bar I should be getting an appearance from Atmos?

I own a oled+ 935 in the main room which has a B&W Atmos sound bar which I have a Fire tv Cube connected. On this tv I get atmos on basically everything Netflix & Disney+ (the atmos label shows up on 99% of content).

I will try the cube connected directly to this sound bar later and see if there’s any difference but I know the fire tv 4K stick is supposed to do atmos as well.

Can Netflix and didn’t plus on a fire stick actually allow atmos without 4K I wonder?

ianfreeman

I just bought one recently and, because we watch a lot of old TV shows on Gold etc., I find having to constantly change from smart mode to standard mode a right pain. If I don't, the sound is really weird and ethereal.

WonderStrike

Novice Member
I've recently bought this soundbar. As my TV is only Arc, I can't select the Dolby Atmos option on my Xbox Series X - as it says my audio system doesn't support it when I choose it. Xbox is connected to TV directly via HDMI and JBL via HDMI Out on soundbar to Arc on TV. I can choose DTS and that works great though.

To get around this I have tried to plug the Xbox into the HDMI In on the soundbar. The problem with this is I have sound, but no picture. The screen is just black.

Anyone else having similar issues? If I plug my Panasonic 4k upscaling Blu-ray player into the HDMI In on the soundbar, I do get a picture and sound.

gregstinson

I've recently bought this soundbar. As my TV is only Arc, I can't select the Dolby Atmos option on my Xbox Series X - as it says my audio system doesn't support it when I choose it. Xbox is connected to TV directly via HDMI and JBL via HDMI Out on soundbar to Arc on TV. I can choose DTS and that works great though.

To get around this I have tried to plug the Xbox into the HDMI In on the soundbar. The problem with this is I have sound, but no picture. The screen is just black.

Anyone else having similar issues? If I plug my Panasonic 4k upscaling Blu-ray player into the HDMI In on the soundbar, I do get a picture and sound.
That's weird, Atmos worked over ARC on my Panasonic GX800 (does your TV suppot Atmos?) I know the Panny did...

WonderStrike

Novice Member
That's weird, Atmos worked over ARC on my Panasonic GX800 (does your TV suppot Atmos?) I know the Panny did...
No my TV doesn't support Atmos. Which is why I thought I could plug the Xbox direct to the soundbar, which should then do Atmos as the tv is not involved at that point with sound.

outoftheknow

No my TV doesn't support Atmos. Which is why I thought I could plug the Xbox direct to the soundbar, which should then do Atmos as the tv is not involved at that point with sound.
The TV supporting ATMOS means the TV can decode and play ATMOS. All you are interested in when plugging the XBox into the TV and then sending audio out of the TV to the soundbar is if the TV can passthrough the audio without decoding it. That is in the TV HDMI input settings I think usually.

So XBox audio output settings dictate what you are sending to the TV input. The TV settings then say what happens there. You want to passthrough the audio "as is" from the TV HDMI input the XBox is connected to, to the TV ARC HDMI output. That is connected to the soundbar ARC (eARC) HDMI input.

ARC can carry Dolby Digital Plus (DD+ which is 5.1 channels) and the 4 ATMOS channels so as long as ATMOS is delivered by the XBox and passed-through the TV to the soundbar ARC input in that format, the soundbar will play it fine.

ATMOS can also be attached to Dolby True HD (which is 7.1 channels) and if the XBox is sending that and it is passed-through the TV to the soundbar ARC input, the audio will not make it over the ARC connection.

The XBox saying something doesn't support it is, I think, a separate issue and somebody with an XBox can confirm what that is all about. If the TV can be set to passthrough, the XBox should see DD+ capabilities all the way to the soundbar - in theory at least. If the XBox thinks ATMOS is only delivered as Dolby True HD, and your TV is passing the audio through without decoding, then it is correct that the ARC link between TV and soundbar doesn't support "ATMOS" as it sees it.

WonderStrike

Novice Member
Just to let you know a firmware update to my multibeam sorted it. I can now do Xbox to multibeam hdmi in and enable Atmos on the xbox.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton