JBL Bar 5.0 Multibeam

GRS67

New member, I thought I would give my impression of the new JBL 5.0 soundbar which I've had since last weekend.

At present it appears that the 5.0 is only available from JBL and Richer Sounds.

I ordered directly from JBL and received a 10% discount for signing up to their website saving £35.

I'm really happy with the Soundbar and it was very easy to set up, the calibration took less than 30 seconds and it was very easy hooking up my Panasonic UHD Blu Ray Player to the HDMI in port and I've had no issues with playback via my Samsung 4K TV eArc port.

The sound is very immersive using the 'multibeam' I find It really brings a new dimension to TV watching.

Re dialogue, I'm very happy with it, the centre speaker delivers crisp sound, of course depending on the source but where I was constantly turning up the sound on my 'JBL 2.0' I'm finding I'm not having to do that at all to hear dialogue.

I watched a UHD Blu Ray 'Logan' last night and it was fantastic, I was hearing sounds from way out left and right and the bass is really deep and rumbling.

Virtual Atmos is a feature of the '5.0' I watched some scenes with it on and off, TBH I couldn't tell much difference, that could be down to the fact that it's more subtle than I thought I was expecting, having never heard Atmos before.

The 5.0 provides a large 3D Surround stage with the right source and I would definitely recommend it.

It sits perfectly in front of my Samsung 4K 43'TV

Attachments

• 20210311_114730.jpg
    20210311_114730.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 375

mug

Thanks for the review.

I've currently got a Bose 300 Smart Soundbar but want something with a bit more bass without me needing to buy a subwoofer. I was initially interested in the Denon 550 but don't really fancy paying £599.

Just wondered how long yours took to come? I've also ordered mine from JBL.

GRS67

I ordered from JBL and it arrived in just over a week, they say allow for up to 2 weeks but it actually arrived quicker than I expected.

You're able to change the bass levels from 1-5 using the remote, I set mine to 4 and find it's more than adequate especially when watching UHD Blu Ray movies with uncompressed soundtracks.

Iand101

Standard Member
Got mine a couple of weeks ago and it's by far my favourite small soundbar.
The dialogue is excellent and it controls the bass in 'regular' TV brilliantly.
With good positioning the sound stage is immense with some very impressive virtual effects.
It's also an excellent music speaker with streaming built-in.
Massive thumbs up from me.

Just wish you could turn off the screen, as it displays the source type everytime the signal varies.

mug

With good positioning the sound stage is immense with some very impressive virtual effects.

Just wish you could turn off the screen, as it displays the source type everytime the signal varies.

Out of interest, which small soundbars are you comparing it to?

Iand101

Standard Member
It's a small list I suppose, but... The sonos Beam and the sony ht-x8500.
I've had all 3 and the jbl, for me, manages to do the job without interference.
The sonos was good, but if you were watching TV sometimes you'd need to put it in to night mode or it pushed the bass too hard. The sony, the dialogue isn't quite sharp enough and the interface is terrible.
The jbl hits a sweet spot.

mug

It's a small list I suppose, but... The sonos Beam and the sony ht-x8500.
I've had all 3 and the jbl, for me, manages to do the job without interference.
The sonos was good, but if you were watching TV sometimes you'd need to put it in to night mode or it pushed the bass too hard. The sony, the dialogue isn't quite sharp enough and the interface is terrible.
The jbl hits a sweet spot.

That's great because I have a Sonos Beam coming too because I wanted to see which one I liked out of the two.

Just wondered if the bass on the JBL is more impressive than the Beam? I'm really after the best option for bass without having to buy a subwoofer!

GRS67

Yes it can be a bit annoying when each time I change channels on TV the display comes up but it's not really an issue.

I've noticed in the last few days my display has changed from 'Surround sound, Multi Channel PCM' to 'Dolby Surround sound multi channel PCM'

Since it's displayed 'Dolby' the sound when watching regular TV broadcast shows sounds a lot better, more well rounded for a better word whereas previously it was apparent that a lot of 'live' HD TV broadcast shows were in stereo and using the centre channel.

Iand101

Standard Member
If you turn it up, it's more. On the standard setting (3 I think) it's a bit less.
The bass on the sonos is tighter and narrower. In fact that's why I stuck with the jbl and sold my sonos, the sonos feels a lot narrower generally.
See how you feel with it if course, but for me, the jbl provides a much wider soundstage, both horizontally and vertically.
If you can offer up two perpendicular walls, within about 4m of the jbl you are in for a treat.

GRS67

If you turn it up, it's more. On the standard setting (3 I think) it's a bit less.
The bass on the sonos is tighter and narrower. In fact that's why I stuck with the jbl and sold my sonos, the sonos feels a lot narrower generally.
See how you feel with it if course, but for me, the jbl provides a much wider soundstage, both horizontally and vertically.
If you can offer up two perpendicular walls, within about 4m of the jbl you are in for a treat.
My TV sits on the media stand in the area of the room which to the left is far closer to the wall than the right.

My living room isn't too big being a one bed apartment but the sound is excellent.

The initial calibration was very simple, I would have thought it's probably better to be able to bounce the sound of two walls the exact same distance apart however that's not really practical for many people due to thier living room layout

That's s where the calibration comes in as it's supposed to take varying room shapes and positioning into account.

You mentioned vertical height, what have been your thoughts on the virtual Atmos feature?

I've played a couple of Atmos movies with my UHD player and the sound stage is very big and immersive

Iand101

Standard Member
We are in a similar situation with positioning. The left wall is a lot closer than the right (about 4m compared to 8m). So the stereo effects to the left are far more pronounced , although recently I've shuffled a couple of bits of furniture around and it's helped a lot..

I've had a couple of surprisingly creepy moments with the virtual atmos effects actually, one today with 'rain' , which I genuinely was convinced was above me (I had to look outside to check!) . Another was with a plane going overhead in the film 1917, very impressive. The separation on a real atmos track was better though.

I think the bass radiators on the top really help with vertical sound dispersal generally (with some higher frequencies creeping though) , and just help to fill the space better than others.

GRS67

We are in a similar situation with positioning. The left wall is a lot closer than the right (about 4m compared to 8m). So the stereo effects to the left are far more pronounced , although recently I've shuffled a couple of bits of furniture around and it's helped a lot..

I've had a couple of surprisingly creepy moments with the virtual atmos effects actually, one today with 'rain' , which I genuinely was convinced was above me (I had to look outside to check!) . Another was with a plane going overhead in the film 1917, very impressive. The separation on a real atmos track was better though.

I think the bass radiators on the top really help with vertical sound dispersal generally (with some higher frequencies creeping though) , and just help to fill the space better than others.
Yes I'm also finding that the surround is more pronounced to my left where the sound has a shorter distance to travel and bounce off.

I'm definitely hearing sounds thrown out to the far left and right as if they're coming from somewhere other than the soundbar, a few scenes in 'logan' on UHD really was impressive '

The sound is most certainly bigger, more' '3D Spacious ' as advertised, when playing a Atmos UHD, this is where the JBL 5.0 really excells as it's being fed the best source material possible.

Last edited:

MrMav11

@GRS67 or anyone else who has one. Can I ask how you’re getting on with the JBL 5.0 please?

I’m looking maybe for an all in one, without sub nothing fancy and small. Also wanted some Atmos decoding for virtual for Netflix, Disney+, iTunes movies etc. I have a TV that does DD Vision so would like to match.

I signed up like you suggested and got the 10% off as well.

I was looking at the Sony X8500. Heard good and bad though. Don’t think has as many speakers as the JBL though and around same price. It’s also a lot older now and never had a firmware update, whereas the JBL has already.

Watching an Atmos title can you tell difference when switching the virtual Atmos/multibeam whatever it is called on JBL, on and off?

What others did you consider please? I would have stretched maybe to the Sonus Beam but doesn’t have Atmos decoding.

As say want something that works without lip sync issues, switches on and just works, otherwise known as wife proof! and speech is ok. Last Soundbar seemed to make the speech quiet and so was forever turning it up to hear speech, then down when action got too loud.

Can you confirm ordering from JBL direct, inside the box it has wall brackets and HDMI cable that is eArc 2.1 compatible?

Thanks

Last edited:

GRS67

@GRS67 or anyone else who has one. Can I ask how you’re getting on with the JBL 5.0 please?

I’m looking maybe for an all in one, without sub nothing fancy and small. Also wanted some Atmos decoding for virtual for Netflix, Disney+, iTunes movies etc. I have a TV that does DD Vision so would like to match.

I signed up like you suggested and got the 10% off as well.

I was looking at the Sony X8500. Heard good and bad though. Don’t think has as many speakers as the JBL though and around same price. It’s also a lot older now and never had a firmware update, whereas the JBL has already.

Watching an Atmos title can you tell difference when switching the virtual Atmos/multibeam whatever it is called on JBL, on and off?

What others did you consider please? I would have stretched maybe to the Sonus Beam but doesn’t have Atmos decoding.

As say want something that works without lip sync issues, switches on and just works, otherwise known as wife proof! and speech is ok. Last Soundbar seemed to make the speech quiet and so was forever turning it up to hear speech, then down when action got too loud.

Can you confirm ordering from JBL direct, inside the box it has wall brackets and HDMI cable that is eArc 2.1 compatible?

Thanks
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I'm really happy with my purchase.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, it's clear if you're willing to spend £££ you can get soundbars with all the bells and whistles and dedicated Dolby Atmos (Sonos Arc) for just shy of £800

The JBL 5.0 cost me £315 which to be honest is the as much as I want to be spending but it's far from being a 'budget 'soundbar IMO

To answer your questions

Yes it comes with wall brackets

Dialogue is nice and clear thanks to the center channel, I'm not having the issue of turning up dialogue then down during loud effects as I did with my JBL 2.0.

Yes it comes with a HDMI cable, I've got my Panasonic UHD player plugged into the HDMI in socket and the included HDMI lead from the bar to the TV.

It all connected fine and I've had no issues with playback from my UHD player.

"Watching an Atmos title can you tell difference when switching the virtual Atmos/multibeam whatever it is called on JBL, on and off?"

Now this is the big question for me as I've indeed played around with having Atmos on and off whilst watching a couple Atmos enabled discs and TBH I've not been able to notice much difference..

I'll add the caveats that I've never really heard true Atmos before the this is Virtual Atmos, so it could be more subtle and it could be that the scenes I was playing with it on and off didn't actually feature Atmos

Here's what I would say though,when played with a Atmos related source in my case via disc it took the bar to a new level of the multibeam function pushed the soundstage far right and left, as I mentioned previously it does create a '3D Spacious Sound' I believe the Atmos feature adds to this but how much may well depend on the actual source.

I've played 'Bohemian Rhapsody' 'Logan' and 'Everest' on disc and all had a much bigger wider fuller sound than any non Atmos disc based content plus some cool sounding effects that appeared to be coming from far out to the left and right.. So I'm guessing that's the virtual Atmos, it was one of the features that attracted me to the JBL 5.0

I'm under no illusions that the Virtual Atmos isn't going to replicate the sound of a dedicated Atmos bar let alone ceiling speakers costing thousands.. All I can say is that if you want a reasonable priced bar to give you a full soundstage to enhance watching movies especially on disc you shouldn't be disappointed.

Last edited:

mug

*** I really want mine to hurry up and get here. The tracking still says 'label created' 😭

MrMav11

Watching an Atmos title can you tell difference when switching the virtual Atmos/multibeam whatever it is called on JBL, on and off?"

Now this is the big question for me as I've indeed played around with having Atmos on and off whilst watching a couple Atmos enabled discs and TBH I've not been able to notice much difference..
Regarding the above maybe try a YouTube Atmos test a few on there. Although I’m not 100% if the YouTube app supports it so unsure!?!

True Atmos I’d imagine blow this out of water as it’s rear and ceiling speakers but that’s something that will have to wait until I win the lottery!!

Im not an audiophile either, like you, and also didn’t want to pay more than £300 really. The Arc also is really wide, this will go under my TV so didn’t want it to be ridiculous wide.

Some good info there thanks. Do you have Netflix or iTunes to test Atmos? Even trailers maybe on iTunes if have Apple TV or the Apple TV app built into your TV.

I’m quite happy with the TV sound, but going off an old Soundbar on last TV it’s probably a million times better. I am after this update to have a more fuller/surround though so sounds good

Thanks

Last edited:

GRS67

Regarding the above maybe try a YouTube Atmos test a few on there. Although I’m not 100% if the YouTube app supports it so unsure!?!

True Atmos I’d imagine blow this out of water as it’s rear and ceiling speakers but that’s something that will have to wait until I win the lottery!!

Im not an audiophile either, like you, and also didn’t want to pay more than £300 really. The Arc also is really wide, this will go my TV so didn’t want it to be ridiculous wide.

Some good info there thanks. Do you have Netflix or iTunes to test Atmos? Even trailers maybe on iTunes if have Apple TV or the Apple TV app built into your TV.

I’m quite happy with the TV sound, but going off an old Soundbar on last TV it’s probably a million times better. I am after this update to have a more fuller/surround though so sounds good

Thanks
The info display on the front grill will show Atmos when playback of a Atmos related disc on my UHD player.

When I tried a YouTube Atmos video it just showed Dolby Surround sound, I would assume it's not true Atmos content on the YouTube clips? I've got Disney + but when I can't seem to get Atmos when played back through my Samsung TV app,I've read this is common, I wouldn't imagine Atmos on a streaming site would compare to it on a HD! UHD disc as it's not being compressed.

Bottom line to my long winded reply is that if you're looking for a fuller more surround sound as I was you won't be disappointed especially as I've said when played with a top source material

GRS67

*** I really want mine to hurry up and get here. The tracking still says 'label created' 😭
You should receive it soon mate, mine arrived within a couple of days of it saying label created... Let me know how you get on with it when it arrives 👍

mug

Does 5.1 DD/DTS sound better than stereo content?

MrMav11

What’s the Ethernet port for? It does have WiFi so just another option for that for streaming?

Can you update firmware via WiFi or only USB?

Would like to hear your take on when you get some Atmos on with effect on and off, and as above looks like it shows you on screen if it is Atmos decoding.
Thanks

GRS67

What’s the Ethernet port for? It does have WiFi so just another option for that for streaming?

Can you update firmware via WiFi or only USB?

Would like to hear your take on when you get some Atmos on with effect on and off, and as above looks like it shows you on screen if it is Atmos decoding.
Thanks
Updates via WiFi, on setting up you must connect the bar to your WiFi it'll then as far as I'm aware be constantly connected to your WiFi

This would appear so that it'll be able to install any firmware updates automatically.

It has a initial large firmware update from set up.

As I previously mentioned the screen is now displaying 'Dolby surround Multichannel PCM' previously it didn't display Dolby, since doing so TV broadcast especially sound far better and more 'surround', so it must have been a update.

It's really good that it's getting firmware updates, hopefully this will continue abd futher improve the soundbar

I'm guessing the Ethernet is if you don't have WiFi?

Atmos is only shown on the display screen when playing Atmos source via my UHD player, it doesn't display when playing 'Atmos' via YouTube, I'm not sure if it will display with Netflix 4K Atmos you'd have to ask someone who has that service.

MrMav11

Updates via WiFi, on setting up you must connect the bar to your WiFi it'll then as far as I'm aware be constantly connected to your WiFi

This would appear so that it'll be able to install any firmware updates automatically.

It has a initial large firmware update from set up.

As I previously mentioned the screen is now displaying 'Dolby surround Multichannel PCM' previously it didn't display Dolby, since doing so TV broadcast especially sound far better and more 'surround', so it must have been a update.

It's really good that it's getting firmware updates, hopefully this will continue abd futher improve the soundbar

I'm guessing the Ethernet is if you don't have WiFi?

Atmos is only shown on the display screen when playing Atmos source via my UHD player, it doesn't display when playing 'Atmos' via YouTube, I'm not sure if it will display with Netflix 4K Atmos you'd have to ask someone who has that service.
Ok thanks, as long has WiFi that will work for me as will be beside the router anyway.

When you say initial setup updates firmware is there an app to do this, or is it just when you are using the remote and screen? How do you enter your password etc. Suppose I should look at manual!?!

mug

I can't work out how to change the bass setting. It says hold TV for 3 seconds and then press + or - but it doesn't seem to do anything.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton