JBL are they any good.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JBL73, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JBL73

JBL73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks was just wondering peoples thoughts on JBL (especially the CS6100s) anyone own a set? Looking to spend around 1-2k for amp+speakers any ideas? :lease:
    :smashin:Dan

2. smitsa

smitsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    JBL get little to no coverage on here which is suprising considering the high quality of some of there speaker ranges for quite often,very good prices when compared with other manufacturers.

I'm not sure about the range you refer to but I'm using JBL E100 floor standers,LC2 Center and L820 surrounds,I'm very impressed with them indeed.

With your budget the Studio L series is definitely worth a look,superb quality and won't break the bank.:thumbsup:

3. JBL73

JBL73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey big thanks for that mate only one problem I'm in Australia and can't find anywhere that stock JBL. Where did you get yours? Maybe they mail order. I used to have a JBL active sub+satellite package and that was gut wrenching sound was awesome.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    JBL's are OK, they are a trusted and respected speaker company with a long history. However, I have a pair of JBL Venue Stadiums (2x 8", 1x 4", 1x 0.75"), and I confess myself disappointed. Though I further confess that these are very different than my previous speakers which had horn midrange and horn tweeters. By comparison, the JBLs with all cone speakers sounded dull.

If you've seen a pair of JBLs that you like, or if you have found a deal on them, then they might be worth it. I only paid AU$314/pr (currency converted) for mine, and at that price, they were pretty good, but they we represented as +AU$940 speakers.

Unless you are looking at one of the higher priced lines of JBL, I wouldn't go out of my way to seek them out. There are plenty of good speakers made and sold in Australia to pay a premium for JBL.

Again, if you've found a good deal on them, then go for it, but don't waste time and money seeking them out.

Keep in mind that this one Stadium model is the only consumer ready-built JBLs I have experience with. I've heard that similar models in higher priced lines do sound very good.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. swift1

swift1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Back In the days I've used JBL Speakers, Amps and Subs numerous times for different car installs and they were very good.

I started this Home Theatre addiction about 10 years ago with my 1st set of JBL Home Theatre speakers (1 Full Size Centre, 4 Monitors & Sub) cost £500 - I have to say I was well impressed.

But then I wanted Bose for some reason and sold the JBLs - Big BIG Mistake!

Sold Bose and got the B&W MT30 (sold the PV1 now) although the MT30 is much better than the Bose I still think my cheap JBLs were better.

Part of me to this day still regret selling those JBLs and having spent all that extra money I'm still not happy with the overall sound.

I'm now considering selling the B&W M1s as well.

I cannot comment on the speaker you mentioned but try to get a demo if you can before buying.

6. JBL73

JBL73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys!!! Steve can you tell me some other speakers to look out for and trial rather than the JBLs. Cheers mate. Ps want to spend between $2-3k on amp and speakers. Like the look of the Onkyo 606 just need some advice what to partner it with. Really looking for something that hits you right in the chest I also like my dance music and rock!!! How about Cerwin Vega?

7. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    SVS Sub !! :thumbsup:

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    I assume by now you've gotten my PM. Cerwin Vega do kick A$$, and are not cheap, but are fair and reasonably priced. If you really want to raise the rafters, C-W's will certainly do the job.

As I recommended, check out YouTube to get a general idea. You can probably find a video on virtually any common speakers on YouTube. Though the recording, in all fairness, tend to be trash.

As for recommendations, just the standard brands; Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Bower-Wilkins, etc....

I did have the web address of a good speaker retailer in AU, but I haven't been able to track it down yet. Partly because I'm not sure which forum I saw it in.

You mentioned the JBL CS6100, given that this is just a tiny 'egg/pod' system, I don't see it as any better or worse than, say, Kef or an assortment of the brand names that make speakers like that.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if Google has an Australian specific website? Usually when I'm searching, I'm either searching UK or USA, and they each have a country specific website.

When I want to confine searches to the UK, I use google.co.uk , and is seems to work very well for isolating my searches to relevant UK results. If you can find the equivalent in AU, then you could probably search out some pretty good deals, and might even find a AU specific discussion forum. However, I generally found that adding "Australia" to a standard Google search doesn't do much for isolating the results.

Actually, I stumbled across it on my own -

Google- Australia

check the box that says -

(*) pages from Australia

to limit the search to Australia. That should bring up relevant information on audio speakers in AU.

One last point, I did discover this forum in Australia, and while it is primarily Digital TV, they seems to discuss all types of equipment including speakers -

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009