Jbl 9.1 no atmos with smart tv

Hrafnkell

Novice Member

I just got the JBL 9.1 loving the sound so far.

One thing though, I get dolby atmos through my Xbox Series X but I can't get it through my smart tv. Instead I get dolby surround dd+

I have an phillips oled903, all ports have an arc connection but no earc.

The soundbar is connected from the hdmi outport to the TV using the cable provided with the bar. And the xbox is connected to the hdmi in port.

I have tried all sound settings on TV, multichannel, multichannel (bypass) and dolby digital plus.

Anyone here have any wisdom on this ?

steve51

One thing though, I get dolby atmos through my Xbox Series X but I can't get it through my smart tv. Instead I get dolby surround dd+

The soundbar is connected from the hdmi outport to the TV using the cable provided with the bar. And the xbox is connected to the hdmi in port.

I have tried all sound settings on TV, multichannel, multichannel (bypass) and dolby digital plus.

For streaming services you will get atmos within the DD+ it might just be that the JBL bar does not display atmos

ghost666

eARC is required to support dolby atmos. I have the same problem with my LG oled B7. There is no other solution for this problem.

Last edited:

Hrafnkell

Novice Member
eARC is required to support dolby atmos. I have the same problem with my LG oled B7. There is no other solution for this problem.
Thank you, this is interresting, cause the specs for the TV says it supports it but without an eArc it clearly doesn't.

outoftheknow

DD+ carries ATMOS. It is an up to 7.1 channel surround format as well when no Atmos height channels are present. It can therefore be 5.1 surround with no ATMOS. The TV and soundbar support DD+ so you can get 5.1 surround using DD+.

ARC can’t carry 7.1 channels - not even with the DD+ compression.

However if there are Atmos height channels with 5.1 DD+ that will be carried over ARC and give you Atmos.

I think those are settings for audio in to the TV via an HDMI port and out of ARC. TV internal audio (from apps etc) should/may have a separate setting. You should be able to set that output to DD+ (that may be the one you mention if it is for the TV audio out and not HDMI audio in).

First question is have you paid for Atmos on the apps you use on the TV? If not or there are app settings stopping it, you won’t have Atmos attached to the DD+ 5.1 surround sound so that is what the soundbar will receive, play and display.

Lack of Atmos with DD+ is not due to ARC limitations and there is no setting for Atmos as such. The height channels are either there (from the source) or they aren’t. If there the soundbar will play them in addition to the DD+ surround sound and display Atmos.

Check things starting with the TV apps and follow setting through from there to ARC on the TV.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As above which Services are you streaming and which subscription level do you have?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom