Jbl 250 ish build

Matyam

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to build some floorspeakers resembling the jbl 's as didn't want a normal box ,reduced the height as jbl were 43" high but reduced to 36 " because of projector screen and height of tweeter is right at that level.Really was a bit of experiment and probably a bit big for my room but nothing ventured.I broke up my cerwin vega E715 s which were great for films and rocking with eq but kept the 15 " drivers as wanted to hear what they would be like in other cabinets,if rubbish then faitel may be on cards.So to match with the old mid range and tweeter have replaced them with audax pro170m mid range and audax TWO25A26 tweeters as they broadly align with crossovers. Speakers are 36" high 23 " to 15" wide 13" deep around 4.2 cu feet. First impressions are favourable with extension to 36 hz sealed but will fit port just to hear any difference and wadding also to hear difference, on my left speaker there is a dip from 800 hz to 3000hz centering at 2000hz with 18 db dip ,any of you pro builders have a idea on the cause of this ? cheers,well listen to some kyama while I quandary. 20220211_163128.jpg

Screenshot_20220212-205829.jpg

Well had a look at crossover and found a slightly bulging capacitor so will replace them all on that speaker to see what difference they will make .Invested £3-50 in asda's finest pillows to dampen Adele down a bit and have given the bass notes touch more thwack.Managed to get my son off his phone with his better lugholes to take the mick out of my speakers so universal nation push was his torture test but he smiled before he realised and told me to paint the cabinets instead.Put on canen ain't no sunshine what a voice for 12 to see how clear they are ,and new order blue Monday for thwack and still no derogatory comments amazing.Bought some ports but not sure to use them now as have null around 30 hz but will see criss overs first.

Screenshot_20220215-172716.jpg

Well changed caps which has evened up the previous null now to crossover mains at 40hz and hopefully get some impact.

Well after some weeks of listening I'm loving the sound that these diy's make ,no need for sub to underpin music bass now as there's a natural housecurve with these speakers to 40 hz .Im not going to bother with ports as have enough low end and surprisingly hardly any eq needed considering the limitations of placement. The audax midrange and tweeters complete the clarity stakes .
The best thing is the projection of sound especially over -15 when music comes even more alive and enveloping must be those dodgy shaped cabinets.
Well it's been great fun having
a go at this diy and achieving more than I thought.
Now onto next one jamo R909 initially tried smaller open baffle but with one 15" driver not enough oomph so faitel doubles I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom