Jazz Monkey's living room set up

Mind! you've only just bought your Anthem / Arc so to be expected:)
It seems flexible on the setup for speakers etc, seems pretty straight forward. Power amp in a couple of weeks so need to get it set up properly and have a good listen so I can compare the 2. Not too impressed by Atmos as yet :-(

That's because the front S2's firing up into the ceiling do not bring much to the table..............Your better off having front heights firing into the room / mlp , if you can't or don't want to fit ceiling speakers for atmos.

That's because the front S2's firing up into the ceiling do not bring much to the table..............Your better off having front heights firing into the room / mlp , if you can't or don't want to fit ceiling speakers for atmos.
I will be wiring in for ceiling but might wait or an XTZ in-ceiling.

So you must know that it doesn't quite sound right / as you like it!! if your saying that you still need to have a fiddle with Arc.:confused:
Ran ARC and had a chance to have a blast, sound much better now although the bass needs a tweak. I've disconnected the MiniDSP for now and might see what REW is measuring. Going to watch an Atmos film after tea (Fifth Element) to see how it sounds.

I switched out R50 upfiring speakers for Cambridge Audio Minx 22s. This made a big difference to my setup. In-ceilings aren't really an option here so it was a nice compromise. Watched both Gravity and Mad Max last night which was a great showcase of how varied atmos mixes can be.

The fronts are doing a reasonable job but going to put ceiling speakers in as need to sort wires and and decorating upstairs. I've increased the bass +3db and watched Daddys home and was liking the sound, they sounded wider and the S2 were giving extra height on Dolby Surround mode. Can't wait to get the power amp and get 7.1.4 eventually.

I'm getting Atmos ceiling speakers tomorrow for a better experience.
Hopefully should be a big difference to the front bouncing S2.

Got my Atmos speakers up and wired up but need to get wires from under floor to amp which is a big job. Got to put new trunking at front of living room and sort all cables out.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1458747880.671984.jpg

Drawing to scale - using the iPhone compass the angle to the ceiling speakers is around 45 degrees from MLP so should sound great once I get them wired in

ImageUploadedByAVForums1458757821.359783.jpg

Wow, great work, that was quick. You don't hang about. It'll sound awesome. Good luck with the remaining wiring. Nice sketch up. I particularly like the time taken to get the hair detail just right!

Wow, great work, that was quick. You don't hang about. It'll sound awesome. Good luck with the remaining wiring. Nice sketch up. I particularly like the time taken to get the hair detail just right!
I'm not losing my hair yet so [emoji4]
Working nights so won't have time but have heard Atmos a while ago and it is pretty impressive. I will have to run 5.1.4 for now until I get another power amp.

I've got my ceiling speakers temporally wired up and sounding good so far. Got a few Atmos films to watch but feel the Anthem really needs a power amp at high volumes which the Onkyo didn't.

This might sound stoopid, but are in ceiling speakers ok to go in to artex ceiling? Can't help thinking it wouldn't make a very good fastening into the ceiling or be sealed around the edge of the speaker? I know that its obviously cut into the ceiling but don't they still need to be fastened into the plaster board?

This might sound stoopid, but are in ceiling speakers ok to go in to artex ceiling? Can't help thinking it wouldn't make a very good fastening into the ceiling or be sealed around the edge of the speaker? I know that its obviously cut into the ceiling but don't they still need to be fastened into the plaster board?
Artex is fine as the flat side has a seal and the speakers are in their own enclosure. I have the floorboards off upstairs and you can hear it's quite noisy on the opposite side of the speaker. I am insulting under the floor boards with acoustic insulation and making it double thickness. This should help with the speaker and stop sound leakage.

I was wondering if there was any other way, other than lifting floorboards, to get cables in for Atmos speakers...

I was wondering if there was any other way, other than lifting floorboards, to get cables in for Atmos speakers...
I have some trunking around the edges that are quite discreet but been waiting to decorate upstairs to lift floor and will be getting new carpets so was going to put the cables in anyway. Most use the bouncing fronts/backs to get a similar effect but it didn't work for me.

I've got my 2 power amps now so will be wiring these up next Tuesday when I'm off work. I'm hoping for a good improvement at -15 on the Anthem as currently it sounds like it's struggling at high volume.

Finally got both amps wired in now for 7.1.4 Atmos sound. Got an issue with humming coming through the speakers so need to sort that out. [emoji30]
Had a quick blast at -5 but was too loud, -7 was easier on the ears. Sounding good but got work tonight so no more playing for today.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom