Jazz Monkey's living room set up

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Nice set up, I would have gone for a PS3 personally for the blu-ray, they go fairly cheap at the moment, £180-ish.
I have had a ps3 but wanted a dedicated player, it is quieter and cheaper than a PS3 and quicker at loading blu-ray.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
That sounds like you have reach your goal then!
I am gettIng there. I have just bought wife a new car and saving for Florida next year so need to cut back. 

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Upgrading my AV stuff.
I bought a Panasonic VT30 for normal viewing a few months ago.
I have also sold my Panasonic AE3000 and getting a 3D when they are out in a few weeks.
I have also got an Onkyo NR818 amp and MK 1250 sub. Will install amp and report any improvements.
Also ordered and Oppo 103 blu ray player and streamer.

Last edited:

Rick2102

Novice Member
Great looking set up Jazz Monkey Jr.

It has made my mind up on 1 thing, we have said about getting a burner when we sort the lounge and wasn't sure if could still have a drop down screen with the burner etc, as we want brick fireplace like this and this burner below. Can you have the burner on when the screen is down?

Will have to have ceiling mounted speakers which isn't ideal, but is a compromise for having the burner and my Mrs is adamant she wants a burner.

Look forward to the updates :smashin:

Attachments

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Yes burner is no problem, it's a modern clean one and I put a shelf up to deflect the heat forward. Even before I got a shelf made the old plasma is still going strong after 6 years as someone at work bought it.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
My JVC X30 is on order so will get some pics up when I've sorted my room out.
New amp and sub sounding excellent. Turns out I had my monitor audio RSW12 is the wrong spot and not been performing at its best for 3 years :( but the THX sub is sounding nice.
The amp is also a great upgrade - its making my speakers sound better and the remote is much nicer than the old one to use.
I've also got an Oppo 103 coming today so will be selling PCH and using the Oppo to stream and play 3D.
I will upgrade the screen next year as I will be looking for a decent one, same size, around 106" 2.35:1 electric but will probably go for acoustic one as I don't want to move the speakers, any suggestions?

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Got my X30 this morning - set it up quick using recommended settings.
Looking good so far but can't really tell as its daytime but seems brighter.
I'm not sure about the motion setting whether to have clear motion drive on yet.

Picture during the daytime

X30
by Jazz Monkey Jr, on Flickr

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Also looking forward to hear your thoughts as I've got a bit longer to wait than you until my X35 arrives. Looking back to post # 9 seeing how much you were saying that an X3 would cost, I bet you feel like you got a bargain with the X30. :thumbsup:

I wrongly guessed that you'd end up with the new Panasonic too, so I hope you're happy with the change.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Also looking forward to hear your thoughts as I've got a bit longer to wait than you until my X35 arrives. Looking back to post # 9 seeing how much you were saying that an X3 would cost, I bet you feel like you got a bargain with the X30. :thumbsup:

I wrongly guessed that you'd end up with the new Panasonic too, so I hope you're happy with the change.
I was all for the Panasonic and its probably a great projector. I've been following the AVS threads and it seems there are a few with problems.
I've gone for the best 2D picture for the money and the X30 should deliver.
With the amp, sub and player upgrades its like a new system, its just the screen that lets it down at the moment but ill have to wait.
Got a couple of issues with the X30 not picking up the 3D or 24hz signal, probably the HDMI lead but got a Mark Grant lead so it should be fine but its not getting the signal. :(

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
That looks a MEGA picture :smashin:
It's looking pretty good, looks natural. Will watch a bit tonight when it's dark to see how we'll it can perform in my environment.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I demoed an X3 in Glasgow and the crosstalk was terrible on 3D, it was a demo disc playing on a PS3, the X30 seems pretty good at 3D from what I have seen today. :smashin:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Glad your enjoying it Mal , I should have my x7 set up in the next two weeks or so .
They are great projectors for the money - not as good as some on 3D but very happy with mine. :thumbsup:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Below is an interesting comparison between 3 of my projectors all on the same screen to give an idea of improving black levels/contrast/sharpness.

Sanyo Z4

Panasonic AE2000

JVC X30

Happy feet by Jazz Monkey Jr, on Flickr

Oldroadodeon

Wow! That's quite a leap in picture quality from the Panasonic! The Avatar shot looks really impressive. I bet you're dead chuffed with the upgrade - I know I am with my new projector! (I've finally figured out how to leave feedback, sorry for the delay!) :smashin:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
The panasonic is a very good projector but the JVC is regarded as the best 2D picture as the D-ILA tech is very good at giving a great native contrast.
I'm glad the Panasonic was delayed and I got a good deal on the JVC. :smashin: My next projector upgrade will be a native 2k4k projector is about 3 years.
I hope you enjoy the AE3000 as much as I did.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Converting my conservatory in to a room now the kids are getting bigger.
I have put a Panasonic 42E6 on the wall and a Sonos soundbar & sub.
I have also bought 4 Phillps Hue lights to control the colour/brightness.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1370090173.144431.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett