Jazz Monkey's living room set up

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Through all channels?
It seemed to be, I've had a play and all seems good now, it's a mess behind the AV cabinet [emoji30]
Kids are home so too noisy to have a good listen, and work tonight :-( but I think I've sorted it.
I've got a trigger to the Audiolab and set it to high sensitivity but doesn't seem to trigger on with the trigger, only when it hears a signal. Im not sure how to set it up but the instructions just say that the trigger works in high and low sensitivity.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1460475373.006847.jpg

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
short length 3.5mm cable? Have a short one (1m) between my Denon and Rotel and it works faultlessly. And the hum just went on its own?

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Had a play with phonos so think it was one of them.
Trigger doesn't do anything but I've just tried trigger out on Emotiva to Audiolab and Audiolab switches off when Emotiva is on??

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I watched a full Atmos movie today with everything set up. I started it at -8 but was too loud so watched the rest at -10. After 90 min I realized the rears weren't on. I checked the test tones and sound was coming from all of the speakers. After a play I changed the amp in the Anthem from Zone 2 to backs. It looks like you have to set the internal amp to backs even if you're using an external power amp.
The film was OK but was pretty intense with the volume, not sure if it was the film or the fact it was loud especially using all 11 speakers. I think I'll watch around -12 in the future but was sounding excellent and lots of bass and power so all good.

ahaydock

Really nice set up. How do you find the XTC's? I almost went for them but preferred the Kef R Range personally

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Really nice set up. How do you find the XTC's? I almost went for them but preferred the Kef R Range personally
The XTZ are great, I've always wanted MK150's but these are as good IMO and cheaper and a bit slimmer so suits my lounge. I'm pretty much there, nearly bought a Panasonic UHD player but projector isn't 4K and a couple of years of a decent cheapish 4K HDR projector. I'm very happy with it and after 11 years getting there in terms of a high end system in a normal room.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Curious to know whether the calibration by ******** made a noticeable difference or just marginal.
I have always tweaked mine first and the OLED used forum settings. The difference is not that large on the OLED, the projector benefitted more. It's only going to squeeze a bit more picture out of it unless you've been watching in dynamic mode.
I calibrated my hi-fi and have spent a lot so makes sense to get the best picture and sound possible in your room for the extra outlay.

eddiewww

what are your Origin Acoustics D64's sounding like? And where did you source them?

I'm planning on upping my game and Atmos is on the cards so starting to look at ceiling speakers.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
what are your Origin Acoustics D64's sounding like? And where did you source them?

I'm planning on upping my game and Atmos is on the cards so starting to look at ceiling speakers.
They are ace, I got them from [email protected]
He is an advertiser on here and very helpful [emoji106]

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have recently bought the Panasonic UHD player and started to buy some 4K movies as some of them seem to have Atmos sound tracks when the blu Ray hasn't.
I also briefly tried a VW300 4K projector but was a bit darker than the HW40 so will wait until a brighter HDR becomes reasonable.

Last edited:

KePa

I noticed the VW300es in your signature now. How do you find using the motorised zoom on that for switching between 2.35:1 and 16:9 without a memory function? Something I have to consider if 4k projector prices become more affordable next year. And how do you find the upgrade from standard bluray to 4k?

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have recently bought the Panasonic UHD player and started to buy some 4K movies as some of them seem to have Atmos sound tracks when the blu Ray hasn't.
I also briefly tried a VW300 4K projector but was a bit darker than the HW40 so will wait until a brighter HDR becomes reasonable.
Got a Epson 9300 today, stunning and miles better than my HW40 and the VW300 I tried for a short time. Bargain for the money. Screen shots to come once I played with it for a few days and some comparison shots. It's a match made in heaven for the React screen.

barry7767

Got a Epson 9300 today, stunning and miles better than my HW40 and the VW300 I tried for a short time. Bargain for the money. Screen shots to come once I played with it for a few days and some comparison shots. It's a match made in heaven for the React screen.
I also have the 9300 with a fixed React screen and second the above - great combination. I am astounded with how good Netflix 4K looks and have yet to try UHD Bluray - waiting until I get my receiver/Atmos upgrades done.

jakimp

I also have the 9300 with a fixed React screen and second the above - great combination. I am astounded with how good Netflix 4K looks and have yet to try UHD Bluray - waiting until I get my receiver/Atmos upgrades done.
agree with all you have said. watched sense8 xmas episode - stunning in 4K

I have done the atmos/uhd thing - it is worth it if there are still a bug or two to fix by firmware - I am talking to you oppo :(

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
How did you manage to live with the HW40 for so long! :eek: I assume the bulb has quite a few hours on it. Much better now. :lesson:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
How did you manage to live with the HW40 for so long! :eek: I assume the bulb has quite a few hours on it. Much better now. :lesson:
That is an example with light in the room to show brightness differences. The HW40 is quite bright and much better at night but the 9300 much better.

jakimp

I havnt tried curtains open but looks like it works.

as you said great combo the 9300 and react

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett