1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jazz - if you like try...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by annemarigold, Mar 28, 2005.

1. annemarigold

annemarigold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got this idea from useful US library sites - a sort of thesaurus for authors. Hope it might work for jaz either requests or recommendations. Also could be for any type of music but i have a jazz one first. I'm only an occasional listener to jazz but a great favourite of mine is "Embraceable You" by Billie Holliday. I'd like to get up to date and hear a modern female jazz singer in a similar vein. Does anyone know who has recorded this song and whom I might enjoy? Cheers,
    Anne

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    "Embraceable You" is a standard.

This means that basically everyone and his brother / sister has recorded it. A favourite with both jazz instrumentalists and vocalists, there are literally hundreds of versions out there.

The song is such a standard that entering it into Amazon's search engine throws up several dozen albums with "Embraceable You" as their title.

Currently enjoying a superbly remastered version of "Clifford Brown with Strings" on Verve which is one of the jazz trumpeter's best albums and contains a quite beautiful version of the song in question - instrumental though.

One of my favourite vocal versions of the song is by Sarah Vaughan on "Sarah Vaughan" which by coincidence is also a Verve remaster / reissue and also featuring Clifford Brown.

3. annemarigold

annemarigold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi the Pauley, Thanks very much. Silly me though not to amazon iy. I googled and didn't find the right kind of info. Off to amazon right now. Cheers, Anne